1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Liked it. Liked Hardhome and Bastards better.

Buck Turgidson, B-Bob and gucci888 like this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/gam...rapher-dark-battle-of-winterfell-episode.html

dumb cinematographer. now i know whose to blame.

Its the audience's fault because they don't watch the way he wants them to.

3. MystikArkitect

Not sure “lazy” is the word I’d use to describe those theatrics. It was a huge undertaking and it needs to be commended how much work and effort went into that episode. It was monumental.

The scene with Podrick singing or the score starting when Sansa and Tyrion began to embrace their inevitable deaths were very well done. The show still has an ability to hit home some emotional moments.

I do agree with you though that it went away from the Tarantino-esque dialogues (Tyrion/Tywin, Lady Olenna, Littlefinger, Robb) to seeming like they were just trying to figure out how to give the dragons more screen time. Just the whole ridiculous plan to send Jon effing Snow, King of the North, into zombie territory to capture a wight just for the chance that Cersei could agree to a truce. All just so they could give the NK a dragon.

I’m still enjoying it but Season 7 and 8 are better enjoyed as achievements in CGI and effects rather than writing.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don’t think “Hardhome” can be topped. Especially since its greatness was less expected than The Long Night’s.

Also, the battle took place during the day, so no issue of, “I can’t see this ****; is that Podrick?”

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Targs hadn't come close to coming to Westeros at that time though.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So... Why is Valerian steel the garlic of their undead existence? Its not even the same material as dragon glass?!?

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Valyrian steel was forged with Dragon fire.

mikol13 likes this.
  8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Thank you for that info. I know every point I made can be refuted easily, but was hoping others may have more links to tie them together.

9. justtxyank

We actually don't know WHAT Valyrian steel is made of.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dragon boners. Duh.

Invisible Fan and gifford1967 like this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Asked a friend of mine about this, who has worked in production and post-production for feature films. His input:

• Cinematographer brings some ideas to the project, sure, but really he's just carrying out the vision of the Director(s). Cinematographer not to blame.
    • Who is to blame, if anyone? Whomever Warner/HBO uses for post-servicing. They were likely shooting in 8K, so there was more than enough information in the footage to do a proper color grade and compression. Also, the producers were seeing the dailies during production - if the darkness was a problem, they should have halted production to figure out a better way.
    • The darkness didn't bother him, personally. Though he did think the snow effect they added in editorial was trash. And that is on the filmmakers and producers.
    Anyway. Not to say that people have to agree with my friend here, but I was curious about his perspective and thought I'd share it.

mikol13, tallanvor and heypartner like this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wonder how many fans are calibrating their TVs and watching it again? Professional calibrations are up...is my guess.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You just gotta adjust the tracking. I did and watched it in UHD. I saw the nipple ring that Jon put on his dragon, even in the snow storm.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Then the opposite -- the Targaryans are in some way related to the Night King.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You would fit right in testifying before the senate.

Rashmon, justtxyank and JuanValdez like this.
  16. AstrosRockets1818

17. cebu

cebu Member

Last episode will just be connecting the dots. Bran will summarize the past and will probebly answer some of our questions.

18. justtxyank

What am I missing? Why does the Night King need to be related to the Targs?

YOLO likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude. He rode a dragon. Pay attention. :D

justtxyank likes this.
  20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I missed it the first time but Jon saw Arya running towards the godswood, stood up to Viserion who was blocking the entrance and distract it while yelling "Go go go!!!!". The white walker hair fluttering was Arya running past them. I'm still trying to figure a plausible reason Arya wasn't affected by the NK touch as he was choking her, the only thing I saw was Arya had a collar and gloves covering her skin.

Falcons Talon and justtxyank like this.