1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Legler: Never Seen A More Irrational Fear of James Harden's Step Back Three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 25, 2019.

1. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Agree. I don't think bogut can fill the role of a gobert-type paint protector, which was key to that defensive scheme. James would feast on gimmes at the rim if the warriors try to butt-guard Harden.

D-rock, sirbaihu, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

3. tobster

tobster Member

The reason it was a viable option for the Jazz was because of Gobert. I can't see anyone employing this strategy and it being effective. We just saw a series where Harden was "slowed down" and that was because of the play of Gobert. He's about to go crazy whether it is better alley-oop passes or easier floaters to take. The only concern I have against the Warriors (if they make it past the Clippers) is Bogut pulling some cheap shots on Harden.

Hakeemtheking and sirbaihu like this.
  4. StrawberryJamm

James is gonna come back next year with a 3 point floater.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of the goofiest defense strategies I've ever seen.

6. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I know you're joking but with him it's not out of realm of possibility.... how sick is that?

BigShasta and StrawberryJamm like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wish I could like this post more than one time.

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Gobert's length and mobility was the key employing Utah's unorthodox defensive strategy. He could contest the runner, while also minimizing the alley oop threat to Capela, and not fouling. I doubt Bogut would be as successful at all three. Harden would likely draw a ton of fouls that he couldn't in this last series. I'm guessing that GS will play Harden straight up with their defenders instead.

D-rock and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I dunno, but he will definitely be working his right-hand dribble attack all summer long.

D-rock likes this.
  10. StrawberryJamm

That's what everyone else would do. You might lose a debate saying he's the best basketball player in the world, but there's not much of an arguement that he isn't the most creative/innovative. That's a cool thing to be.
    The guy that changes how kids grow up playing basketball with math. I'd like to hear what Morey thinks of jumping in from behind the 3 point line, might not want Gianis to find out.

D-rock likes this.
  11. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

pretty sure the warriors are gonna try it. Jazz shut harden down for one game for the most part. Their attempt threw off harden I would say more than any other team. So yes it looks ridiculous, but it works to an extent.

I think the warriors will try it as well and if it fails they will fall back to their original plan.

withmustard likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

I thought Basketball Breakdown's analysis of the Jazz's defensive strategy wasn't particularly effective as Harden was right on his averages. It also helped jump start the offense when we got bogged down. Somebody else posted the video, so I won't post it here. But go search it out on YouTube if you want to see his take.

D-rock likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

I honestly think the Jazz overused this strategy. I'd use it as a change of pace defense as a coach to try and keep James off balance. By running it for 5 straight games, the Rockets got a good look at it and attacked the holes.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree with Legler. While it has worked, it shouldn't. Harden should be destroying it. The fact the D'Antonio hasn't worked on it is the only reason Harden hasn't been automatic with an oop, or a layup, or a floater. The high pick should never be used. Just run harden and the choices are simple on the drive, but you do need to practice attacking it. It' needs to be unconscious. Harden has been indecisive. He's thinking too much.

Don't think we need a pick at half court though. The pick isn't needed, and it opens up the option for Harden to give it to Capela way too high. So just forget that pick.

smp and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. StrawberryJamm

Royce O'neale played it better. Might a smart way to play him in the corners late in shot clock but top of the key is a death wish.

D-rock and amaru like this.
  16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I don't agree that it's irrational. It's a simple tradeoff. You're using the perimeter defender to 100% take away the one Harden option (step-back) that no other defender can take away. And in exchange, you're asking your interior defenders to stop Harden while also preventing the lob and a successful kick-out. In that respect, it's just like a double team, leaving you one defender short.

The return on this gimmick will keep going down as Harden and his teammates improve their skill at exploiting the resulting 5 on 4.

17. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

40.6% to be exact. He shot 38.9% on stepbacks in the regular season

mac_got_this and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It only worked because Gobert is historically long, like top 5 in NBA history. Most teams can't stop Harden's floater so effectively.

D-rock and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Dat purse doe...

Nook likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have never seen a more irrational willingness to ignore James Harden's legitimate weapon, the step-back three. Legler has gone on about it before, which doesn't really make a point but does show his own ignorance.

D-rock likes this.