1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 HCAD values are out - Get ready to protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Mar 21, 2019.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Just checked and my values are available on HCAD. My personal home is up by only $4k, so I won't protest that. But my rental house went up $20k!! Based on my approximated % calculation of prior year tax, my tax bill will go up $750. F@ck that!

A personal friend (aka Sources) informed me that HCAD is looking to really increase values this year, since they did not do it last year in respect to those affected by Hurricane Harvey. So they want to recoup revenue that should have been earned last year.

Who's protesting? Are you using a company? If so which company? I've never protested and want to be prepared

2. TMac'n

Another question: I've heard in the past that HCAD can not increase the appraisal values by greater than 10% in a single year. Is this true?

If so, the value increase for me is quite a bit over that amount for my rental house. That should be another reason for me to protest

3. SuraGotMadHops

The 10% cap only applies if the property is your residential homestead. There is no cap on non-homestead property.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Mine went up almost $40k. Will be protesting.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My value dropped almost 25% because of Harvey and since I refuse to open the door to the appraisal folks at HCAD they have no evidence that I've fixed it up (I've improved the **** out of it). It went up 3% this year lol.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They went up like 100% on my rental 3 years ago. Fertitta probably somehow responsible.

TMac'n and Jontro like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where are we protesting? I have my sign ready

Kruze10 likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Honest Americans pay their taxes. Don't be tax cheats like Wesley Snipes and Pete Rose.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Isn't Abbot proposing a bill to stop the tax gauging?

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I used O'Connor and Associates last year. They didn't rip me off.

MiddleMan and TMac'n like this.
  11. TMac'n

I've heard someone else recommend O'Connor as well. Can I ask how much they charged you, or at least what they base their fee on?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They take a share (half?) of the first-year tax benefit.

TMac'n likes this.
  13. TMac'n

Ok so in my example in my OP where i approximate my tax bill to be increased by $750 this year, if (and a big if) they are able reduce my house value back to last years value then I will have to pay O'Conner $375. So I'm saving $375? I know its the cost of doing business, but just seems kinda steep.

I need to learn to do this myself

14. Buck Turgidson

The company I used to work with back in the day and then me personally used them extensively and they were excellent. Glad to hear they're still doing their thing, good people.

eta: I will add that they were dealing with multiple properties, so I may have gotten different service than a single homeowner.

#14 Buck Turgidson, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    TMac'n likes this.
  15. TMac'n

[​IMG]

B-Bob and Severe Rockets Fan like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

cheke a paid Soros protestor: confirmed

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So mine is appraised at a price that's 4.57% higher than what I paid for the house in the middle of last year. New build.

What are the odds that I can challenge it and get it back down closer to the original purchase price?

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

odds are you might get it reduced to purchase price since it's a new build and unless you got a sweet deal a similar build would be the same as yours.

Haymitch likes this.
  19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

My market value went up 18%. Appraised up 10% (again). 10% for the last 5 years. Gone from $159K to $234K.

I've been signed up with O'Connor before, but never saw anything out of it. Couldn't even get them to respond to me.

I'm going to try Jubally.com. They give you all the comparables and you go do the presentation yourself. It costs $75. Figure worth a try.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like mine went up 7.5%. But it went up last year about the same amount despite Harvey, so that's kind of bullcrap.