1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Tilman cheap for not going all in? A response.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Just traded for CP3. There is rumor there is promise to supermax him next season. Also knowing Capela will get near max. Perfect time to sell the team and retired.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2.2 Billion minus 85 million plus taking the trophies plus Barkley's 3 million plus interest

hakeem94 and Jake Tower like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deuce, hakeem94, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agree with this.

Plus all GMs always say that the guy they got (in free agency or draft) is the guy they wanted all along. And we all know that's BS.

I'm not mad about the move, but taking Morey at his word on something that everyone lies about (as well they should) isn't an appealing idea.

#65 Haymitch, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    J Sizzle likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey won't be long for Houston if he's got Tilman limiting his potential moves. He allegedly got down the road with Philadelphia, and if Tilman is holding his hand through the process, he'll be gone at some point.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No .

I said the Cavs would not trade LeBron to us.

I said the Rockets would probably not re-sign CP3, Capela and Ariza big bucks. People told me
    but Tillman said so and Morey said they want to
    keep everyone. I said that's just owner talk and GM speak

No owner would spend like CF'ers wish they would

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't recall Iman Shumpert ever being a "knock-down shooter" ala Klay Thompson, JJ Reddick, or Kyle Korver.

He's got different skills that fit well within our team, like I said I'm hopeful that once we; regain all our weapons, find a fit within the team, and get better looks from spots on the floor that he's comfortable shooting from... he will ultimately improve on that number.

ChumpCity likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Some of you are pretending this team was the same team from last year. We are not. And its not close.

We are much closer to being a 1st round exit than we are making it to the WCFs.

Make a poll; whats more important? Ensuring Hardens 30pt streak remains intact or giving up the streak for a win? I think we know the answer. Giving up wins for stats will never win you a championship.

10. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I don't think he is cheap. I think he is smart.

Who is really going to beat Golden State in 7?

ChumpCity likes this.
  11. Fishman5222

Fishman5222 Member

Reports are that the Wizards backed out of a trade a the last minute from a team that wanted them to take on salary next year plus a first round pick rather than all expiring without the pick (which the Wizards accepted). Was that the Rockets?

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I would beg to differ. This team has the potential to be better than last years team. It all has to do with CP3. He is the key to bringing success in the playoffs. Since he has returned, he seems to be coasting and he has been very effective on the court.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree with most of it.

I still believe this team could go beyond 2nd round and go beserk if both Harden, CP and Capela stay injury free that is.

I dun think we can challenge the Worriers for real but our players are made to take them to 6 or 7.

We match up pretty well with them.

But we could fall to Denver or Portland if either gets real hot and our shooting goes down the drain so no easy outs.

Tall order though after a season of injuries.

bmelo, hakeem94 and Space Ghost like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is what I've been thinking, that they got him mainly for his defense to help take that load off of Paul and Harden, and to match up against 3's. I was looking at his stats offensively and yes, they aren't impressive, but there was one thing I did notice. When Shump has made it to the playoffs, he's shot 3's very well, shooting .378%. Maybe that also entered into the decision. We've had some epically bad playoff games from downtown, and that's supposed to be our bread and butter. I don't know. I'm still trying to makeup my mind about the guy.

hakeem94 and IvanLCPM like this.
  15. thekad

thekad Member

Why would you have to include a first? We dumped Ennis for free and Hartenstein would have been a free dump or replaced an outgoing 2nd. Nene’s tiny contract wouldn’t have cost a 1st to dump when Knight is literally useless and paid five times as much.

You’re looking at getting rid of two 2nds total instead of a 1st, two 2nds and a future expiring contract to deal next season. But yes, luxury tax - which is the point. It was a deal to save money at the cost of future assets.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I suppose a broken key is still a key. But its not unlocking anything, especially a championship.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Because the Cavs wanted something for burks

18. thekad

thekad Member

Hahah, Burks and Shumpert aren’t worth anything on $11 million. It would cost assets to dump their salaries.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Burks was an expiring contract and the Cavs wanted to use his money to bring back a contract and a pick.

20. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You have a very low chance of landing a superstar like Butler. So, basically, it's okay for a team to give up if they don't land someone of that magnitude? Not a very good excuse...