1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey did well.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Feb 7, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

It is about Championships.
    The way Morey did is not going to be easy to win 1 or 2 Championships next 4 years. 4 best teams in the east are young.

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

"Superteams"

LOL

BigM, Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am not buying it its a load of bs....however i dont mind him taking the full max...he deserves it...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I like Rivers and Fareid and Shumpert. All are younger vets who are athletic. The folks we lost are not to be worried about. But how exactly have we helped ourselves for next year, or they buyout season?

5. Homey the Clown

I don't have much faith in Boston yet but those other 3 may very well challenge the Warriors in the finals this year.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Do you think he planned for an owner who isn't going to let him use the MLE to bid for the best buyout candidates ?

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Found Morey's secret account.

On a serious note, I think both sides have a legitimate argument:
    - Morey did upgrade the roster and get under the cap, given the situation of his previously bad moves. He did some GM magic this time around.
    - The Rockets were not only a real contender last year but the best one to the Warriors in the NBA. There should be more leeway financially and pressure to capture that ring given that chances like that happen so rarely.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My point was purposely exaggerated …. Harden's gonna have to up the Superman impersonation to another level to compete next year.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Being above the tax line , they wont have a BAE , that caps you out below the apron which they are already above with the players listed.

I expect they use the MLE , the question is on who - Rivers / Faried ? or someone else. If you use it on someone else , can you keep both Rivers and Faried with Early Bird (120% of their current deals) I don't know if that's ehough to keep them , they'll really have to like it here to pass up more elsewhere.

10. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I’m sure that’s enough to make the playoffs and I (and about 90% of the actual fans on CF) never doubted it for a second. If you doubted it, that’s your brain damage, not mine.

YOLO likes this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am sorry but unless you are him, your guarantee is worthless.

I would like to see his contract with the Players Association. Unless there is a clause plainly stating that he can not take a pay cut on his contract as a player, it all sounds like a lot of spinning on your part.

If CP3 had given the Rockets a home discount AS A PLAYER, I don't see how that particular act could be construed as a breach of his fiduciary duties as an officer of the P.A.

Oh well, this is a moot issue anyway.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

A pick? Lol

The Rockets lost a lot of picks.

13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Careful. You might get accused of "nut-hugging" or "dick-riding" by some of the more mature people on this board.

14. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Next year's cap planning should be interesting. Projected Cap is $109M. Projected Luxury Tax Line is $132M.
    Under contract are:

Guards: 3 Players @ $90.3M CP3: $38M, Harden $38M, EGo $14M. + Bird rights on Shumpert
    Centers: 3 Players @ $20.1M Capela: $15M, Nene $4M, Hartenstein $minimum
    Forwards: 2 Players @$9.8M Tucker: $8.3M, Clark $minimum

That's $120.2M for 8 players under contract...and most tied up in Guards, and 2 are injury prone.
    There is almost no investment in 3/4 type of players, and Tucker will be 34 years old next year.
    This cries out for a trade of EGo (or EGo + Nene for salary matching) to get more size, length and youth - either a 3/4 or a 4/5.

We resemble an older version of the Blazers who have most roster salary used with 2 Guards (Lillard & McCollum), plus a young center (Nurkic).
    Their two guards absorb less cap, so they can afford other MLE or above contracts like Harkless, Aminu, etc.

We are likely to have a lot more league minimum roster filler with CP3 & Harden eating $76M next year.
    I just hope we get more size, length and youth.

Relativist likes this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Don't you mean DMo?

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I agree. If there was a trade to be had that the Rockets could offer worth it for the Rockets they would have done so. So what he did was made room to be able to play the buy out market and sign House.

17. musketoon

musketoon Member

We got a dude whose real name is Shumpert S H U M P E R T shumpert