1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout targets ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lmao pretty sure wayne ellington is just another gerald green. Dog **** defender who would just end up chucking 3s

jboslett, aroundtheblock2 and izeroi like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but he would hit open ones way more often, and it's possible he'd be a slightly better defender. I love Green but a team trying to take down the Warriors shouldn't be playing him.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's a better defender than Gerald (not saying much) with a better BBIQ. He's also a more efficient shooter.

But yeah, he doesn't change much. Wes Matthews is the Rockets top priority on the buyout market but we are likely not his.

Markieff may also get bought out in New Orleans.

4. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Deandre Jordan
    Zach Randolph
    Wes Matthews
    Robin Lopez
    Wayne Ellington
    Jeremy Lin
    Dewayne Dedmon
    Vince Carter
    Omri Casspi
    Channing Frye
    Garrett Temple
    Shelvin Mack
    Enes Kanter
    Noah Vonleh
    Jamal Crawford
    Troy Daniels

5. justtxyank

Wizards have said they want to keep both of them (as in not even open to trading them) with hopes of re-signing both in the offseason.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Outside of deandre I'm not too thrilled .

Are any of these wings unequivocally better than the wings we already have ?

Even deandre only helps us a bit as Clint and farried is a great rotation when Clint comes back

7. justtxyank

Wes Matthews is obviously better. I mean let's be real. Ennis is a high energy, surprisingly good shooter and surprisingly dumb defender. Gerald Green is a super streaky shooter and a bad defender. Austin Rivers is a tough player that is just awful right now as a shooter and a mediocre defender that is struggling with switching. Wes Matthews would be better than all of those guys.

malakas, Smacktle, FLASH21 and 3 others like this.
  8. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

Wilson Chandler might be candidate!

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.

Wizards have no interest in releasing Ariza. He wants to sign a contract extension. He wouldn't come to the Rockets anyway, he would go to the Lakers.

malakas and justtxyank like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Fair enough . I think wes is WAY more consistent than any of those guys , but I also think that at their peak ... each of those guys could be more impactful . Wes isn't going to get Gerald green hot , he isn't going to be as good in transition as Ennis , and he isn't going to create as well as Rivers .

On defense , I can't really say too much . I haven't watched a lot of Dallas ball this year lol . I will say Wes had a major injury in the not too distant past and is now 32 . I wonder how much he is getting by based on reputation ?

But even if I agree with you and you are right ... that's only 1 guy on the entire list . Is there another guard that comfortably has the edge over our stable ?

justtxyank likes this.
  11. justtxyank

People didn't believe me about this, but there have been a LOT of hints about Ariza. His interview last year basically saying he didn't like our offense was telling.

12. justtxyank

Right I agree with all that you are saying. It's all moot anyway as I think it's extremely unlikely that Wes is going to come here.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Wes Matthews would help the Rockets and he isn't bad at defense under our system. He also is capable of taking a high volume of 3's. He would be an improvement and so would Wayne Ellington.

Green is just too inconsistent a player. He can shoot well sometimes and defend sometimes.

Austin Rivers can get to the basket, isn't afraid or taking big shots and is a good defender when focused. I like him on the bench but he isn't as good as Matthews or Ellington.

malakas, Deuce and justtxyank like this.
  14. justtxyank

Yeah I keep forgetting ellington, another guy I think isn't going to have interest in us.

The problem on both is that they will see
    A) Clearer path to a ring at another team interested (Warriors and 76ers and Thunder all interested)
    B) Clearer path to playing time at same 3 spots. We have a HUGE stable of wings, even if they are better than all of them. They go to one of those other 3 teams they have an easy guarantee

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't dislike the Rockets players or the coach. He doesn't even really dislike Daryl Morey. It was very simple to him. He had a lot of responsibility with the Rockets and expected to be paid like a player with that type of responsibility and he wasn't. So he moved on..... plus sometimes relationships just run their course. He gave everything he had last year in the playoffs and it was just not quite enough.

I am sure if he were traded here he would play hard and there would be no issues. He just is big on what he perceives as respect and the fact he didn't get paid by the Rockets let him know how they valued him.

He would choose LA because he is from LA and his family is there and because he has said he wants to play badly with LeBron so he could tells his grand children about it.

Ariza is just a straight forward guy and sometimes people do not like to hear that.

malakas, Deuce, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Those are good points, although I don't think that the 76ers or Thunder have a clearer path to a ring than the Rockets.

The Rockets would have to see him on shots (we shoot so many 3's) and possibly time at the 2 spot with Harden playing some 3/4. What is crazy is that if the Rockets had an assurance of Ellington coming, they could then be more open to trading Eric Gordon.

I will give Morey credit for correctly predicting the buyout market this season. I was very critical of him not using the MLE this summer and it looks like he was right.

17. justtxyank

He'll only be right thought if he can use it. Guys turn down money A LOT in the buyout market because it's so marginal with the offset rules.

As for the clearer ring, you'd be crazy at this point not to think Philly at least has a clearer path.

18. onreego

onreego Member

I would say Wilson Chandler at this point if he gets bought out. I don't have any issues with swapping Knight and Chriss for someone who will actually be productive like Shumpert but now Rox need some length. I'd assume Baldwin gets waived if it happens.

jb86 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I really don't think Philadelphia does because they still have to deal with Toronto and then Golden State.

In the West the only teams that I believe are better than Toronto are GS and HOU.

Also there is the Harden factor, as the Sixers have more overall talent, but I am not sure that there is anyone on that team that can carry them the last 4 minutes of a game.

It is also why I am critical of the Butler and Harris deals. They could have coupled all those assets into an elite player like Anthony Davis or waited for an elite perimeter player to become available.

malakas and Vivi like this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Isn't he still injured?

D-rock likes this.