1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Car Shopping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KelvinCato13, Feb 2, 2019.

1. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Rednation,

I am currently in the market for a new vehicle and needed some help. Are there any particular vehicles/dealerships out there to check out? I really care about reliability and low maintenance cost. I don't really know much about cars.

Current options that stick out are:
    Honda Accord
    VW Arteon
    Toyota Highlander
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Audi Q5
    Nissan Maxima

Budget is around 25-40K.

Thanks in advance!

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you want something reliable, get the highlander or accord. The others suck in terms of reliability, especially VW and Audi which are the same company.

BeBreezy, KelvinCato13 and CCity Zero like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I like Accord the best on your list for reliability, quality, low maintenance cost. You should be able to get one below 30k OTD.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This... Go with Honda/Toyota. Or even Ford/Chevy (I know you didn't mention either but after working on plenty of nissans/jeeps and a few German cars I'd stick with the main ones). I recently fixed a Mercedes transmission, pita compared to even a Nissan cvt I fixed (yes, I know you didn't mention Mercedes but man that was just STUPID, and I'm talking about their neato 7g tronic transmission)... Obviously I know nissan/Mercedes don't make their own transmissions (directly), but regardless just stupid.. Also depending on model, try to avoid cvt transmissions (if you're keeping it a long time). Newer models that use cvt are better but man those early ones were rough it hotter climates.

And avoid Jeep unless old model (which you're probably not getting, not a fan of Dodge/Chrysler (and yes I know Mercedes technically has a Chrysler trans). Just think the computer/fuse (total integration unit is a pita to work on). Obviously these are worst case scenarios but I do a lot of car work and have seen plenty of junk designs. I mean if you're good at cars then it doesn't matter...

But reliability with no work I'd look at Honda/Toyota/Chevy/Ford (not in any order and would def prefer their known/good models).

#4 CCity Zero, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Thanks all for the feedback!

This is the first I've actually heard of chevy/ford and reliability go together. Don't American made vehicles get a bad rep in when it comes to this or have things changed? Any specific models you recommend?

6. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

I'll be honest if i could get the aesthetics of Audi/VW in a Highlander or Accord i'd be all for it...the only thing that draws me to Audi is the design...i don't care to pay that much though and then have all those hefty maintenance costs.

7. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

I was looking at specifically the sport trim...kinda bummed they don't have a v6 option

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I would also strongly recommend not buying a brand new vehicle. You should be able to get a used version of any of the vehicles mentioned here with 10-20k miles. It is still effectively a new car, but you'll get a steep discount for buying used.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly strongly recommend you look into a certified pre-owned Accord if that is on your list. You can easily find a Touring model that has the entire package for less than $27k with probably 10-20k miles. Honda's are built to last with relatively low maintenance if you take care of them.

You can't go wrong with it and those certified cars extend your powertrain and non powertrain warranties.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I have had excellent success with Ford trucks.

My wife swears her Tesla is the greatest automobile ever made.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why not be smart and pay cash for a low mileage car 2-3 years old still under warranty? Take your budget and divide it by 2, then invest the other half.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm also in the market. I'm buying new, even though it's smarter not to.

I need a 4WD. I should get a truck as I have some land and live in the boonies. There's an outside shot I'd go for an Outback because of the snowbelt I live in. (I may end up with an inherited 1 ton 1979 Chevy flatbed)

Same budget. I'd like to spend under $38-39k out the door.

Really like the new Rams. Was looking at some Big Horns online, but it seems like they're running at like 5+%, which is crazy to me, considering I financed our RAV4 at 0%. My credit is around 800.

If I could get financing under 2%, I'd pull the trigger on the Ram for sure. I was talking all tough to my wife three years ago when we bought the Rav4 and told her I'd like to never pay interest again. Now she expects it, and he market has changed. Lol

#12 Two Sandwiches, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  13. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I'm also looking at a new car! Was looking at a price range of about 30-40k (MAX). Was looking at 2018 Benz C300, 2019 Honda Accord, 2018 Audi A4. Currently driving a 2000 Benz E320. So I figured it's time for an upgrade lol. Any opinions?

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Would you guys still buy used if any CPO was only a few thousand under new? I tried to follow the conventional wisdom of looking at 2-3 year old cars but when I shopped for my Forester, it was either $25k for new or $23k for a 1-2 year old car so I bought new.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

That's what keeps me buying new. Especially when you can get a lower interest rate a lot of the time on new (especially if there's an older year model. Say new '18 when there's '19s on the lot). Almost no point at times.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would look at the 2018 Accord at 10-15,000 miles.

You can easily get one for 20-25k online right now.

Affordability, Durability, and their sleek look right now is something similar to what you see in those Mercedes CLS class.

No brainer in my opinion.

No Worries and KelvinCato13 like this.
  17. tmacfor35

Interest rate on an 18 may be 1% different.

You get to forego the depreciation that the new buyer did as well which is 3 to 4k.

I would take the 18 with low miles.

18. tmacfor35

Accord.

19. Two Sandwiches

I'm looking at the Ram 1500 Bighorn vs the Bighorn Classic.

Basically the Classic is last year's 5th gen model made this year with a few small improvements.

The Classic is currently being offered at 0% for 72 months from what I can tell. The 6th gen, which I like a lot more, is being offered at something like 4.9%.

If I get my own financing, I may be able to drop that by .5-1%, I'm guessing.

Any way you think I could swing the 72 at 0% on the current model?

I like the newer model, but the interest effectively increases the truck's price by ~$5-6k, which I don't think is worth it.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not sure you’d be able to get a Q5 in that range but wouldn’t recommend one if you could. Had a brand new 2011 that was great for the first 5 years, became an absolute money pit after that. Not to mention it broke down to a dead stop on the road twice.

KelvinCato13 likes this.