1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Gordon instead?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Would you rather...

1. Trade Knight and a 1st

50.0%
  2. Trade Gordon (if better than what Knight/1st gets)

26.5%
  3. I don't believe there's a significant difference in what we get back

7.1%
  4. I think Tucker/House/Ennis/Clark are enough at F to beat the Warriors

3.1%
  5. Gordon is so much better than Rivers that it wouldn't be worth it

13.3%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dont think Kings need or even want EGo. They have great younger guards in Fox, Hield and Bogdanovic.

Who really needs EGo to take next step? Even Suns have good young shooting guard.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Unless you are getting a good player in return, like Butler or the like, there isn't a point in trading him for just a lateral move at best. Gordon has played poorly this year but I think he'll be ready to roll come the playoffs.

BasketMAD, baller4life315 and D-rock like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really interested in theories

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

remember when we all thought our season was over and we should tank for zion? lol good times

penny1magic and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am of the belief that getting the #1 seed IS a big deal. But going after the #1 seed and being smart with minutes don't have to be at opposite ends. You can do both.

It is about improving you margins for error. Yes health is MOST important. BUT other than that, getting the best seed possible with home games is critical. Role players play better at home and any player edge you can get you have to take.

baller4life315, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the metaphor is cute nut sure if appropriate

1 lol nobodys falling for his fakes 30 feet out even without the hard cap...
    2 why so verbatim, it was just a metaphor for decreasing his absurdly high 3pt attempts and even with the hard cap i am sure professionals would make it so that the opponents dont figure this out
    3 on the other hand we dont need gordon shooting 10 s pointers per game to win it all we just need him not to harm us in the worst way, the way he did it at the start of the season
    4 we just need him to be mediocre, hit a 3 pointer here and there and drive to the basket several times per game, stay solid on d.PERIOD.
    5 There are other shooters on this squad that are better shooters and the shots should be spread amongts them
    6 why are most of the cf in love with egos taking 10 bad 3 pointers a game to 'keep defenses honest'? you just dont absolutely waste 10 possesions a game just to keep defense honest...if that was possible and useful corey freakin brewer would have an nba job now, and ego was harming us the westbrick way
    7 should russel westbrook shoot 10 3 pts a game to keep defenses honest?
    [​IMG]

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Disagree about the Kings, but it's not really important. The point is, Gordon is better than the humongous majority of backup guards. Someone will see him as an upgrade over whatever they're currently running. It's a pretty simple exercise: look for teams that have higher ambitions this season than their current position and who have significant expiring contracts. Then there are stupid teams who don't actually need Gordon but would want him for reasons we don't care about. Those are the trading partners. You choose whatever subjectively fits that description for you. I'm sure the way Morey would go about it is list out every single team who MIGHT be interested, call 10 of them and see who has the best offer. Take it from there.

Then we either pick up an expiring and a wing, or include a 3rd team for the expiring or the wing.

But Knight and a 1st for an expiring is not going to get us anything good. Two picks is too risky with CP3's contract on the books, and no one will give us a top 20 guy for Knight and our 1 or 2 picks. Tilman is going to dump salary. We have to be realistic. Falling back on Rivers is a better option than falling back on Ennis, House, Green or Clark.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Guess it all depends on Morey's target. If not receiving a clear upgrade starter (4 spot) then I would rather keep EGo.

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

I'd use Pros and Cons in the poll, but it is more difficult.

The First poll should not be included. My friend told me that no one is going to take Knight and 1st. It has been in the market for a long time.

It has to be Knight contract + 2 Firsts.

10. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I'd wait until Rivers re-signs and his future as a Rocket is set in stone before trading EG, unless you're getting somebody like Beal in the trade.

Rockets only have non-bird on Rivers. I'd expect them to try and use their MLE on him this summer, but there's a real possibility they are outpriced.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

If Tilman really wants luxury tax profit from tax-payer franchise.

Trade Nene/Chriss/Melo and don't take any money back, then sign 3 players from G-League.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dropping microphones is not advisable, where dogs analogies abound.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure Gordon would make these teams that much better, but i think a lot of pretenders and teams tired of losing would love to get EG...

Charlotte
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Orlando
    Memphis
    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    OKC
    Portland
    San Antonio
    Utah

Those East teams in particular are good trade partners imo.

D-rock likes this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

It’s now or never on trading CP3 IF LaBron wants him

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

But can they give us a better player than EGo via trade is the better question.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Trade Gordon for small contract if nobody wants to take Knight and 1 First.

Tilman can make at least 30 million profit each year.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

A better player nope, imo. A package worth more than Gordon, who knows...maybe yes, they have interesting pieces, random list (of things i'd like to get/consider in a package):

- Charlotte (Bridges, 1st rounder, Lamb, Hernangomez, Parker, Monk)
    - Detroit (Kennard, 1st rounder, Stanley Johnson, Ellenson)
    - Indiana (1st rounder, Bogdanovic, Holiday, O'Quinn)
    - Orlando (Aaron Gordon, Isaac, 1st rounder, Simmons)
    - Memphis (nothing to trade i think, lol)
    - Minnesota (Covington, 1st rounder, Saric, Gibson)
    - New Orleans (Mirotic, 1st rounder, Randle)

Other WC teams have little to no assets and i guess it wouldn't happen anyway...last summer i also thought Milwaukee could've been one of the teams potentially interested in Gordon, but as today, considering how well they're playing with Brogdon in the starting 5, i don't think they would make a trade for Gordon.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only players that can help us right now to win ring are Aaron Gordon, Covington and maybe Mirotic IMO.

TheRedRanger and Vivi like this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, in terms of players i agree, even though i wouldn't bet they would make us a better team overall. I also like Bridges a lot, but i guess he's still a project so, might be too risky...and i don't think Charlotte would trade him for Gordon anyway.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Bridges too. And Isaac should be a good one in time as well.

Vivi likes this.