1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

100% agreed. We need to win back the recruiting war in our home turf. Tired of talented Texas players going to Oklahoma, Ohio State, Stanford, and etc.

tinman likes this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Especially central Texas guys.

Pringles likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

All the posts in here that include the word "back" should be reported. TAMU has the same # of losses, we're not jizzin all over the sideline.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By the national reaction, everybody saw this game

5. HTM

HTM Member

TAMU just won the Tax Slayer Gator Bowl verses NC State while performing pretty consistently with how the program has done over the last 6 years. There isn't much reason to celebrate.

Texas just won the Sugar Bowl over probably the 2nd best team in the country and the program has been in the wilderness for 10 years. Texas fans are happy.

The circumstances are a bit different.

LonghornFan likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fair enough. But all the "WE BACK" stuff is a bit much. Let's be honest. Aggies do it too with the Wrecking Crew. Anytime the defense looks decent, "wrecking crew this, wrecking crew that".

7. HTM

HTM Member

Agreed the "We back" or the "Texas is back" stuff is lame but Ehlinger is a 20 year old kid so I wouldn't hold it against him too much. A lot of these college athletes say/do cringy stuff. For the older fans, I don't think there is a good excuse.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

I learned my lesson after our Notre Dame game a few seasons back.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Eh I see exactly one post about being “back” and that was a direct quote from Sam after the game. UT folks are just happy with the win as they should be.

Pringles likes this.
  10. gucci888

Ehlinger was obviously having fun with VY’s infamous “We’ll be back” quote after their first Rose Bowl victory. Think people are taking it way too seriously.

tinman likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

I understood Ehlingers reference.

The whole problem is Joe Tessitore made that dumb comment during the Notre Dame game and Texas fans have had to live with the consequences of having that comment thrown into our face the last couple years. That hasn't been too fun.

It's best to just avoid the whole, "Texas is back" thing if you can IMO.

12. Brando2101

I wish Sam would have just said, "We'll be back" exactly like VY did. I guess the 1 lost '04 team had more momentum and reason to be confident in making it to the next year's championship game than this 4 loss Texas team does.

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Texas beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, and A&M beat North Carolina State in the Gator Bowl. But sure, same thing.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also Bevo attacking the Bulldog gave us lots of media attention too

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I agree, but I'm now middle aged an ornery. Texas is back when they win the Big 12 and make the playoffs at least every other year. They're losing pretty much the entire oline, the Big 12 defensive player of the year and a whole linebacker core. Herman still has a lot to prove but winning the Sugar Bowl had to make some recruits think twice about UT. I know Georgia was without some NFL caliber defensive guys, but their entire elite offense played and Texas pretty much owned them, unlike Alabama. I'm just happy for the win, the first big win in a decade in a game I was positive we were going to get slaughtered in.

We still boys.

[​IMG]

Ziggy likes this.
  16. duwende

duwende Member

When we beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl, Vince Young said we'll be back for next year's Rose Bowl.
    We just won the Sugar Bowl, and FYI next year's national championship game will be at the Sugar Bowl.

17. Buck Turgidson

Some teams and fanbases get excited about winning a big football game. Others get excited about winning recruiting championships and twitter hashtag battles. Different strokes.

Brando2101 likes this.
  18. gucci888

Add DL, NB, and both CBs to that list. Not to mention Collin Johnson, LJH and Brandon Jones all requested draft grades. Gary Johnson and Charles O. will be hard to replace but think we can possibly improve at almost all of those positions outside of WR (if any one of them declares).

19. Brando2101

-I think they're losing their 3 weakest offensive linemen and I feel good about having so many guys that red shirted this year to fill.
    -Coburn will be an improvement on the D-Line as will Roach and I have to think there is 1 guy out of the rest that can fill that last spot.
    -Line Backer is the position I am really concerned about. Hopefully we can go to the grad transfer market
    -I'd also be worried about WR if Johnson and LJ both leave. I guess we'll see.

20. gucci888

Collin Johnson returning for his senior year. Huge news.

rockbox likes this.