1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interior defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Nov 24, 2018.

1. basketballholic

We could get Ian Mahinmi for Brandon Knight without a pick. Mozgov too. No doubt others.

Having a bruiser isn't the answer. We need a better switching center AND another perimeter player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks, you mean to play behind capela or instead of capela?

3. basketballholic

I don't care about behind or in front of. If we are going to beat the Warriors we'll have to have players at the 5 that play more minutes then Capela. We have no chance to beat them if we're running Capela out there 30+ minutes against them.

#43 basketballholic, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Switching center feels like the right concept. I love Capela's adaptability and would like to fill out the rest of the 48 with another guy who can do that. Or another switching PF, like Tucker. I'd be willing to sacrifice length for strength and will. There was one rebound where PJ backed into Drummond and left him practically hanging on PJ's shoulder as he tried to go over the back.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, Capela has joined the "let's-run-him-into-the-ground" club.

6. basketballholic

Be honest. Do you really think we can beat them in a 7-game series running Capela out there for 30 minutes against them? Be honest, @ROXTIA.

7. ROXTXIA

I still don't understand your aversion to Capela, but we do need a full-time backup, a true 4/5. MDA showed Hartenstein is on the "I don't trust him enough to play him" list when he ran essentially a 7 man lineup against the Cavs. Clint was likely gassed.

Deuce likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Wait a minute. Another guy that can do what Capela does or what PJ does?

Those two players are almost opposites offensively.

Do you really want another PnR big that can't shoot to play the balance of the minutes at the 5 behind Capela?

Or do you want another Tucker type, a player.that is better than Capela on switches and defending the perimeter, that can handle bigs with strength and leverage down low and then on the other end spread it out and bang down the 3?

If it is a choice between those two type players, who do you want getting the backup 5 minutes? Pick one. Because with Capela playing 30, you've got to cover 18 minutes. There's not minutes for both.

9. basketballholic

My aversion to Clint is Entirely to do with getting past the Warriors and winning a championship.

You ducked the question. That tells me what I wanted to know. Criticize me all you want about Capela. It's not about Capela. It's about winning a championship for me. For you, it's about Capela. You're not willing to face reality. Otherwise, you'd have simply answered the question.

People are far too often not honest with themselves until it's too late.

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

This thread is satire ?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I would take another Tucker because he has the muscle in addition to the perimeter D. I'm thinking strictly about defense here, because my #1 takeaway from the season so far is that trying to play guys who can't switch and defend multiple positions is a net loss.

On offense, I would want to have, in addition to 2 creators and 2 shooters, a guy who can reliably extend our creators' reach by 10 or 15 feet via rolls and lobs. When we sacrifice that for a third shooter, I'm not sure the math works in our favor, in terms of trading the reach extension for slightly better defense. Offensively, PJ can do Clint's job up until the foul line. But from there on in, if we don't have Clint, we're making life a lot harder for James and Chris.

12. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

I rarely post on here. I mainly sit back and read opinions, but this makes no sense. How are you saying Capella isn't able to guard wings/guards, and we need to find a big who can. I'm confused at what bigs outside of Embid and Anthony Davis can guards those type of guys with success. I saw you mentioned Cauley Stein weeks back as a replacement for Capella. The same Stein who had 3 pts and 5 rebs and went 1-9 from the field against us. Get real man. I hope you are just trolling the board for attention since the transaction period is dead right now.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Steve Adams = 34.2 mpg
    Nerlens Noel = 13.5 mpg
    ----------------------------------
    = 47.7 mpg

just saying

-- either of your types is fine. You get the best 3-4 or 4-5 defender you can. Flat out.

14. basketballholic

Bingo. If we don't have our switching defense intact we ain't nuth'n.

So you would actually rather have Capela at 65% and poor FT shooting, than another 40% 3-point shooter who can knock down free throws at 75+% with Harden and Paul taking turns switching on to the opponents weak spot defender and breaking him down?

Sorry, give me the extra shooter, the extra space, and the efficiency of Harden/Paul getting opponents in the bonus with 8 minutes left in every quarter.

I don't think, I know that's more efficient offense than rubbing PnR.

And when it comes to playing the Warriors ....... It's not even really debatable. MDA scraps the PnR against them and spots Capela up on the baseline.

Think about it Will.

15. ROXTXIA

Jeez. Yes, holic. I am lying to myself. And the first step is admitting I have a problem.

I can keep hoping we land Thon Maker but that won't solve much.

Yes, we can beat Golden State with Clint as center. No, we won't beat ANYBODY with a roster full of the Island of Misfit Toys that Morey had to populate around our two megamax guys. Clint isn't the problem. It's the six or seven "DNP - Marginal Talent" that we have.

I know this is going to be useless, like trying to convince a LOF that Lin isn't going to rise from the ashes like the Phoenix.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. There is diminishing returns on going from a 4 out 1 structure to 5 out, when it comes to providing spacing for Harden and Paul to drive.

A 4 out 1 structure with a big who provides vertical spacing is a stronger offense than sticking everyone out on the perimeter whereby the defense has less space to guard -- assuming the new player isn't a star playmaker like Butler. I think 'holic just disagrees with MDA on how spreading everyone out, but no one to threaten going over the top, can negatively impact Harden's driving lanes. You're either left with too many spot-up shooters with not enough perimeter spacing to reap the benefit, or you need more motion action (like when Utah sits Gobert, or GSW goes small)... and can that new guy do that?

That said: sure a Harden, Paul, Gordon, Ariza, PJ lineup in the 4th Q was powerful. But we didn't beat GSW with scoring in the 4th, even with that lineup. Our 4th quarters were low-scoring defensive slugfests.

That's why to me, it's more about getting the best defensive rotation from the two types ... vertical spacing backup option v spot-up shooter backup option is not significantly different to me. And keep in mind, one probably moves PJ to the 5, and the other has PJ at the 4.

bottomline: To throw out names (disregarding tradeability): Would PJ type be better than Montrezl Harrell right now? It's probably a Push.​

HP3, Deuce and Will like this.
  17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Honestly, at this point I'm just hoping to get to the WCF. If we get that far, I'm happy to muck the game up with physical defense, if we can, and take our chances with the shooting.

As to how to get there: I think you're overlooking how Capela factors into the rest of the offense. What helped us blow through the playoffs last year, not to mention the season, was that we didn't just have shooters around a driver. We had shooters and a driver-finisher combo. The threat of the finisher put opponents in a bind when the driver drove. Remove the finisher, and the system starts to unravel. Without the finisher, the D can key on the driver. The drive threat weakens, and with that, the defense can stay home and guard the shooters.

Deuce and heypartner like this.
  18. basketballholic

A player that will play small ball 5.

To beat the Warriors we've got to play small ball for 48 minutes. The key is the 5 spot. God's have the guy that can switch on to smalls more effectively than Capela), can handle post ups effectively (not that big a deal in my opinion) and can step out and shoot the 3 against great PnR defensive teams like the Warriors.

I only mentioned WCS because he's a better paint defender than Capela and he's on a rookie deal.

Homies on this site very much OVERRATE Capela's switching ability. He's not that great at it. Sure, he can switch. But then Curry backs it yo and iso's him. And they KILL US DEAD! Until we take him out! Howcome you've not figured that out? Why haven't the majority of the "Capela before the team" guys here not figured that out?

OPEN.YOUR.EYEBALLS!

We're a 45-50 win team max with Capela here in the regular season. And you think he's gonna be effective against the WARRIORS in the post season?????

That is crazy, blind, irrational homerism.

19. basketballholic

LOL. They're in the repeater luxury tax and they won't even make the Finals.

We have to beat the Warriors.

20. basketballholic

More avoidance. You can't be honest with yourself and answer the question.