1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair Passes Away. R.I.P

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sad that the average Joe NFL fan will only remember this guy for his "inmates running the prison" comment and the ensuing fiasco that seemed to have mostly been led by Duane Brown.

Most people don't know about the things he did behind the scenes that he never took credit for, like paying for the funerals of the church shooting victims in Charleston.

I don't think McNair was concerned about what the average Joe thought, though. His ultimate legacy is that he brought a football starved city, football again.

People complain about him as an owner and how he wouldn't take a chance on risky players. Good on him for sticking to his values and creating "The Texan Way."

deb4rockets, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Small details are important in creating the big picture.

Do things the right way as small as they are and things tend to fall in place.

The Texans had a great owner whose worst trait was his loyalty.

We were lucky to have Bob.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  3. theimpossibles1

4. showa13

showa13 Member

Personal opinions on Bob McNair aside from anyone, the man brought back football to Houston. That alone makes him great. RIP Mr. McNair

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Sure, it was one encounter. But, when my only encounter with him was he and his son disrespecting my 95 year old WWII VETERAN grandfather, I’m not gonna lose sleep over him

raining threes likes this.
  6. Progs

Progs Member

RIP Bob. So very sad.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Condolences and RIP. Deserves a statue for all that he has done for this city. I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

8. raining threes

Cal did Greenbriar after he took over.

Smith and Kubiak should've both been let go after 2010. That decision has come back to haunt this franchise until Smith got fired. Smith was never the man to bring a championship to this city.

9. raining threes

Didn't interfere? Told the GM not to draft certain type players. LOL

A destination for FA's? How many top tier FA's have signed with Houston over the last 16 years?

An owner who lived the lets not do anything too traumatic ended up having a mediocre team while making billions, shocking.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I guess saying that you want high quality players without too many red flags is sort of interference, but that's not really what I was talking about. I was talking about something like Bud Adams forcing Vince Young on the Titans and then forcing the coach to play him time and time again despite the fact that he wouldn't even learn the play book....and never completely did.

As to a destination, I was more talking about coaching staff, but there have been FA's as well, I mean just this off-season the Texans landed the top safety FA. When it comes to free agency, there are just a ton of factors that can sway things one way or the other. For example, we'd be stuck with an awful left tackle on a monster contract if his wife and kids happened to be living in Texas instead of Connecticut.

11. raining threes

Telling your GM who he can and cant sign is the definition of interference.

You didn't answer, if Houston was this great destination place how many top tier FA's have signed here. BTW, the only reason Mathieu is here is that he gave the Texans a discount to sign. I wonder if they will pay him the money he's going to command on the FA market this offseason. History with Jones, Brooks etc... says it's not going to happen.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look man, I get your feelings about the ownership even if I don't agree with them. Let's pick this conversation back up later in a thread not dedicated to mourning his death.

13. tobster

tobster Member

So now there’s etiquette from you? You can spill your garbage all the time but now someone can’t disagree with you in this thread. Only thing “derailing this thread” is your involvement in it... so maybe don’t be in it?

14. tobster

tobster Member

That being said.... I don’t agree with all of Bob McNair’s views but I’ll always appreciate that he brought football back to my city. I hope he rests in peace and people can appreciate his contributions to society outside of football.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

"

When Paul Allen passed this year, she didn't write anything on her twitter. She was one of the earliest tweets about McNair. Talking about minority?!?!?

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, Honey Badger was getting any offers above what the Texans offered him. He took the one year contract to get a bigger contract. As for FA contracts, you don't know what u are talking about. Brooks and Jones were different situations. They also have much more salary cap space than they had then.

17. raining threes

Well I guess this shuts down this conversation.

Pick a thread and lets continue this conversation/

Let me know which thread yo choose.

18. raining threes

I understand about Mathieu. I wonder what he gets on the open market next year and if the Texans will be willing to pay market value. If they're willing to pay up I bet Mathieu stays in Houston since he said he likes it here.

19. raining threes

The Brooks/Jones debate is just excuses.

For some reason after I asked how much BtG paid to get unbanned I lost my editing privileges.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Is McNair's reputation with media really regarded as "bad" ?

That's not the sentiment I've heard.

Hemingway and Nimo like this.