1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Butler Willing to Expand List if Wolves Can Make a Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Whoa! Thibs is good as gone. Morey just might pull this one off if he really wants Butler. He's got some very good assets though I'm in favor of depth over adding 1 more star. We already have 5 guys who can go off for 20 points any given night.

Harden
    Paul
    Carmelo
    Gordon
    Capela

#221 Rokman, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. TheSource

TheSource Member

I just don’t see the point of trading away 2 key pieces for a guy that seems like a locker room diva and in my opinion hasn’t proved anything in the playoffs. Now if he is somehow still available by oct 31st. Knight + Nene + Edwards + 2 first rounders would be my offer. No way I’m giving up our best defender and probably our best shooter for jimmy.

J.R. and ROXonROXonROX like this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Following my previous post, I can see how Morey would have a hard time not being tempted to have a starting line-up of:

Paul
    Harden
    Butler
    Anthony
    Capela

Going up against:

Curry
    Thompson
    Durant
    Green
    Cousins

We may just have to make that trade now that I really look at it. Jesus, those Warriors are stacked!! Go Big or Go Home.

TheRedRanger likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Butler for all his hard work is definitely a big ego who can cause disfunction. So no thanks.

5. SinceEverSince

So we trade EG and Tucker and a 1st for Butler. Either we resign him or we get cap space. Either way I’m good

dkoune likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

We won't see significant cap space in the next 4 years regardless of Butler resigning here or not so, if we trade for him and he ends up bolting we'll be screwed.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's not that dominant. The numbers don't lie.

Also, this all started because you said he was in the third tier of NBA players. That's all I have an issue with. He should be way up there, but not in some upper echelon of NBA stars.

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I think a healthy Knight could go off for 20 any given knight also.

9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

PJ, EG, and a 1st sounds like a lot for Butler.
    I rather not trade for him and look elsewhere.
    I understand Butler is good but PJ is our glue guy now that Ariza is gone.
    If I’m DM I’m trading EG, Nene, Zho Qi, and a 1st for Butler. But I’m definitely not giving up PJ and EG.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dude, Covington is All NBA first team defense (Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler were second team) and hit 37% of 7 3pt attempts. There is no chance Wilson Chandler and JJ Reddick start ahead of him. Chandler, Reddick and Fultz will be competing for those 2 backcourt spots.

BigggReddd likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

So pretty much based on nothing. What does the rockets have to do with what they’re doing in philly. Pretty much 0. Chandler making 13m on an expiring has no bearing on whether he starts or not. Which he won’t. Very flawed logic

#231 YOLO, Sep 22, 2018
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I guess we just have to agree to disagree because I believe he impacts the game just as much as s kyrie, pg13, butler, or klay type player. He belongs in my tier3 of today's nba.

None the less thanks for the debate don. We have detailed this thread enough lol

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I go back and forth on this. I think the only way to get butler is PJ, Ego and maybe even two firsts in order compete with what other teams have to offer. Maybe just one 1st but still a lot.

Then someone like Bazemore is still out there and it’d take a lot less to go get someone like him. He’s a much lesser SF but you don’t have to give up PJ or Ego to get him either. I’m more concerned about defense so does adding butler but losing PJ do more for us on defense?

I’m not convinced either way but I know we need to make another move at SF before we can go to battle against the warriors.

14. smp

smp Member

Both lineups are ridiculously talented. Like last year, it would just come down to health and refs. Overall, GS has younger guys that have a better chance of weathering the storm of a long season and tough playoff series. Paul and Carmelo are both past their prime but have the potential to capture lightning.

Hopefully Curry's ankles break all the way off this year and Cousins doesn't come all the way back to his former self. Thompson, Durant, and Green are physically solid so it's not likely they get hurt. Maybe egos will flare up this year though.

Home court doesn't matter this year. We need to focus on going into the playoffs healthy and rested. Let our guys miss some games at the end of the season. We can tune up and get into our flow during the first round.

In the end, GS is still the heavy favorite given age, health, and ref support. We do have a shot at them if everything goes right.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Wolves owner Glen Taylor is controlling this (and wants to make a move this weekend) and taking Thibs out of the loop, I would expect Butler to go to the Clippers. Simply for the fact they have the pieces/parts to get it done.

16. Rocketsfan3422

why the eff we still talking about butler coming here? Not happening folks

17. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

I don't see it with the Clippers. All of their contracts are expiring in Tobias, Beverly, etc. Can't trade Avery Bradley until December. And can't trade a 1st round pick until 2022. Wolves would basically be trading an expiring contract in Butler for expiring contracts with Clips. Don't see a trade to the Clippers.

BigggReddd, Vivi and Y2JT like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fair. The lack of picks clearly is an issue.

With the owner taking charge of this trade, who knows what will happen. But the fact they it is looking like perhaps "this weekend" really limits what can be done. Maybe because of the "timeframe" this is where the Miami Heat try to get into things. Winslow, 1st rounder as the basis etc.

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

in the offseason we definitely don't have room in the GARM for butler talk with all the need to discuss what we lost with Ryno and how fat Harden looks.

ico4498, Deuce and Zoplicone like this.
  20. craguin

craguin Member

#240 craguin, Sep 22, 2018
    Plowman, BigMaloe, Vivi and 1 other person like this.