1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

We’ll give them Chriss

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If I had to guess, I'd say Magic offered something for Leonard but wouldn't offer everything. Pop got a player who could contribute to winning now and it may be his last season as a head coach. Magic knows there are only so many chances he'll get at trading for a star and he knows that if he doesn't trade nothing is guaranteed in free agency after George spurned them.

3. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

I dont think they are looking for a back up PG though since they still have Rose.

4. illwil29

illwil29 Member

If the Lakers are in the driver seat, which I'm sure they are. I'm sure Minnesota wants Ingram, but if I'm the Lakers Ingram is untouchable which leaves Kuzma. Kuzma by himself wont get it done. Dont know if this gets resolved. Jimmy will probably be moved at the deadline in my opinion.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Pop probably set a much steeper price that the Lakers would have to pay relative to everyone else. Beyond the hard feelings both sides in the Kawhi debacle had for each other, there was also the reality that Kawhi if traded to LA was signing there long term as well. So he should have been more valuable to the Lakers than to other teams because they weren't just getting one year out of him. In the end I think San Antonio got as good a haul as they could expect for an expiring player. Granted, DeRozan is only one extra year in guarantees, but regardless of his contract you are getting back a top 30 player.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would depend on what SAS were expecting vs Wolves right? Not realistic to go by what the media reported they would accept. Seemed like Spurs were hell bent on making it expensive for the Lakers to get Kawhi.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't forget the love Luxury D'Tax mwah Profit gets. People love him around here.

#467 heypartner, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    BigMaloe and Mathloom like this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Can cap experts shed some light on how the Lakers can do this before 15th of December? ALL their big salaries can't be traded before that date and they are over the cap. Also, KCP has to agree to be shipped to Minnesota (which I guess he might, given his wink wink status with Pelinka).

How do they come up with $20m?

The only thing that works is Ingram, Ball, Zubac and Bonga for Butler.

I'd be shocked if Lakers offered that.

#468 Mathloom, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    DonKnock and craguin like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sure their math is a bit different now that they have Lebron.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

EG is obviously the better player than PJ but due to our roster build, PJ might be more difficult to let go of. Melo helps as a microwave scorer in EG's place if we dropped him in a Butler trade (not to mention the scoring Butler brings), but not having another legit 3-position frontcourt defender besides PJ makes him tough to lose (since LMAM is gone).

I'd do EG + Chriss + 1st + whatever salary filler is needed. That's it though.

Capela / Nene
    Tucker / Melo
    Butler / Ennis
    Harden / Green
    Paul / Knight

With Melo taking EG's 6th man role.

HP3, snowconeman22 and clutchdabear like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

That might not mean much though...apparently the Spurs had no interest in young players/picks, they wanted to have a player ready to compete, Derozan fits what they wanted, more than Kuzma, Hart...if the Wolves want young pieces to put them around Towns well, Lakers can offer better pieces than us.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

In a series, we need PJ, but in Game 7s we need closers and Jimmy fits the bill. I'm hoping Jimmy forces 1 way to Houston, or no way. And the package going out is only EG, NBA noobs, and/or NBA unborns. Only Jimmy can break the line of the Lakers, they have by far the best package.

DonKnock, Hakeemtheking and napalm06 like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And Butler instantly makes the Lakers a more credible top 3 threat in the West, and another team the Rockets have to worry about.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've added SI and ESPN's Top 100 list rankings to each of those players, just for comparison

Yellow = Ranked on one list; Green = Ranked on Both; Red = Ranked Top 50 on both​
    • Portland: Al-Farouq Aminu (SI #81 / ESPN #100), Moe Harkless (NR/NR), Zach Collins (NR/NR), top 10 protected 2019 first round pick
    • Phoenix: TJ Warren (NR/NR), protected 2019 first round pick
    • Lakers: KCP (SI NR / ESPN #92), Kuzma (SI NR / ESPN #71), and possibly Hart (NR/NR)
    • 76ers: Dario Saric (SI #54 / ESPN #57), Zhaire Smith (NR/NR), and Wilson Chandler (NR/NR)
    • Toronto: Serge Ibaka (SI #78 / ESPN NR), and Siakam (NR/NR) or OG Anunoboy (SI NR / ESPN #77)
    • Utah: Alec Burks (NR/NR), Derrick Favors (SI #51 / ESPN #83), 2019 first round pick

Rockets: Eric Gordon (SI #49 / ESPN #42), Tucker (SI #85 / ESPN NR). 2019 first round pick

15. craguin

craguin Member

As a non-taxpaying team, Lakers need to send out $15,445,779 (JB's incoming salary - $5M).

DonKnock and clutchdabear like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

if closing is the angle trying to be used for not needing PJ then it really doesn't apply. Especially when he was closing every single game in big minutes

HP3 likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Right, and the only two combination with which the Lakers can do that AND send out one of their young guys (Kuzma/Ball/Ingram) is:

1)Ingram, Ball, Zubac and Bonga for Butler.
    2) KCP (having agreed to be traded to Minny) + one of the young guys for Butler.

Is that correct? Or does KCP have to agree AND wait till the 15th of December?

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

LA should have kept Deng on the payroll and use him as salary filler to get Butler because, right now, the Lakers don't have enough salaries to send to Minnesota for Butler. They would have to wait until December to include KCP or Rondo or Lance

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think Magic is going to trade Ingram and I don't think the Wolves are going to be that greedy either. Kuzma Ball and picks should do it though the salaries, like you said, aren't there to match up.

20. esketit

esketit Member

trading away PJ and Gordon for another chucking borderline superstar would be absolutely devastating to the squad. ariza is gone, luc is gone and they have been replaced by a chucker and an unproven 3 and D guy. this forum is maddening sometimes. pretty much every take i have seen on the front page gets my blood absolutely BOILING

HP3 likes this.