1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media Conspiracy: Was Morey behind Melton's rise?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 10, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Correct. See, you are correcting me because I was making it sound like Morey should get all credit for the buyout, much like you are making the case that Morey should get credit for fooling the Suns into thinking Melton is better than he is.

Regardless, you are agreeing that the Suns probably don't make the trade as designed without the buyout. No?

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

If the buyout came during the trade negotiations, then I think it probably was the thing that pushed Phoenix over the edge. They likely were okay adding to their cap this year because they have a fixed idea of what it'll be, but didn't want to bump their cap for NEXT year.

And I can buy your theory, thinking that Phoenix told Morey that, and I totally picture Morey saying, "What if I get Anderson to agree to a reduced buyout amount for the final year?" Ryno's agent doesn't mind because he knows if the Suns hang onto him all year, the contract doesn't change, but if they dump him during the season, he can sign elsewhere to make up most of that $5M he's "giving up." More importantly, it puts Ryno in a much better position to showcase his abilities so that he can sign a better contract in two years when this one runs out.

Bottom line: We both like the idea of Morey at the chess board. Your theory is more plausible, but mine is more fun. :)

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The title implies that his value had skyrocketed which is not the case.

His value saw a tiny rise.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just an aside about method: conspiracy theories have to be relatively complicated. if you go with a more parsimonious perspective or explanation, it decreases the odds that a conspiracy is to blame. just sayin'

important safety tip thanks Egon.gif

topfive likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes. The more plausible a conspiracy theory is, the less it feels like a conspiracy.

hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Remember Jeremy Lamb? He was our lottery pick, but blew up big time after a stellar summer league. He became the centerpiece in the James Harden trade. He was never heard again since.

I don't know if Melton is another Lamb. I actually think Melton is good. But Morey has a track record of trading people after their value is high after a good summer league, and getting maximum return for them.

amaru likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Let's incept this one level further and remember the fat contact CD gave Cato after blowing up with a triple double in a SL game.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is Morey bargaining:

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hmmm. Didn't think I had a theory. I just found no mention of Ryan's buyout in your OP, and thought that probably was as significant to Phoenix pulling the trigger as anything else.

Is that a theory to think your theory didn't include all the facts, theoretically?