1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IRT Melton, Morey already did his job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Progs

Progs Member

A backup pg who is coming out of a ACL injury and lotto bust so far... Ok...

RudyTBag and Little Bit like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

As fans, I know its fun to speculate and argue our view points, but in this trade I think there are too many unknowns to really assess what the outcomes will be (just yet).

- Knight's recovery from knee injury
    - Knight's willingness to accept his role
    - Knight's production in that role
    - Chriss maturity
    - Chriss role in our system
    - Chriss development in our system
    - Melton's development (likely would have had to be in D-league with depth of our team or stagnated behind MDA 3-G rotation)
    - Melton's contract desires (1-yr or 3-yr deal)

What we do know...

- We shed ourselves of Anderson and his contract. Our switching defense made him unplayable against GS and his lost confidence left his elite skill useless in MDA system. PHO has a need to a stretch 4 with their new rookie center. RA should fit in with their need and system.
    - Melton was potentially a top 20 talent that slipped to #46. He played well in the SL, after an initially poor start shooting, he caught fire and looked like a solid SG prospect.
    - Knight was highly touted out of UK, a lottery pick, who has had an up/down career on three different teams. He's now recovery from an injury and has $30M left on 2yr deal. He had an elite first step and quickness, so his rehab and how he develops in our system will be key to what he contributes. I haven't watched him play much, but the clip where he gets posterized by Jordan, showed me he may not be too smart, but damn he's not scared of anyone.
    - Chriss was a lottery pick and has started 124 games in 2-years. He still has some tremendous potential, but likely as a center versus a PF. He's only been playing the game since age 14, add that to being only 21 and playing at the highest level in the world, he needs some help, both mentally and physically to figure out what he can be in this league. Lucas, Rogers and maybe Akeem can help him with that.

I agree with many here that losing Melton sucks, but Morey must have spun a tale that convinced PHO to give up on Chriss for Melton's potential. In the end, this maybe one of those trades that works out for both teams. I can't wait for the season to start and look forward to seeing how these different story lines play out. Here's hoping Knight and Chriss both play well and help add some depth to a championship season.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what? Maybe you forgot Ryan Scrubberson is a liability not an asset it's a miracle the Rox were able to dump him and get a useful player in the first place, normally you'd have to pay multiple picks and pick up an equally garbage player in exchange.

xtruroyaltyx, D-rock and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

where are we going to get cheap contracts? look at green, melo, ennis, luc last year, etc

D-rock likes this.
  5. whozee

whozee Member

I don't think we have to keep up the positive vibes now he's gone...

Jontro likes this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think it has to be this deep. I see it has pretty simple. on court production is not the primary concern of the trade since ryno's on court production was 0. whatever production we get is an automatic win. our end goal is a 3&D combo F. we couldn't get any for ryno so we made this trade.

the only thing we have to worry about now is:

1. is knight a better trade asset than ryno? yes, especially if he shows he can still play. i expect morey and MDA to give him minutes and shots to up his trade value and try to get a better player in return.
    2. can we develop chriss or is he just an ending contract?

melton's career isn't of concern anymore (unless he becomes a star, that would suck). he was the cost of reducing ryno's $21M to knight's $14M. if that helps us get the 3&D combo F we need then it was worth it.

craguin likes this.
  7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know you're kidding but I think this trade is going to make Suns fans even madder. The Suns only success has been with can't miss players. Melton isn't that. So he'll won't get the development training he needs to a role player. Now Ryan might get a breath of fresh air but that's small consolation for that 20MM contract on a lotto team. And I'm still baffled about Ariza's contract for a team like that.

If you look at the trade in pieces, we got a backup for a position we needed and a smaller, easier to trade contract in Knight. And if you're drafting at 46 and Melton and Chriss are on the board, I think you have to pick Chriss even with the hindsight of current history.

Knight will be serviceable here but I truly believe that Chriss on this team will make the Suns shake their heads while Melton rots on their bench like a normal 2nd rounder would.

Like OKC, I'm not sure the Suns will want trade with us again.

8. Sanity2disChaos

Player with potential added youth and playing with two of the best facilitators in the game.......!! MC just needs to do what Capela does and he might become more than serviceable. Imagine Capela with a 15ft shot that could possibly extend to 3. That’s worth Anderson!! BK would be a bonus if he could play good PG backup minutes. You can’t complain when you can turn a non playing Anderson and a 2nd rd. pick who has played no significant minutes in the NBA for two guys who intrigue you to play one and the other is a bonus with MCW looming with another shot.

Best GM move Morey has ever done besides stealing Harden away. IMO. More excited to see what could be with these two than what was with what we had already.

dkoune, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Melton is a can't miss prospect he has all the qualities you need in a rookie athletic ability, drive, bball IQ and he can be the Beverly to Booker's Harden. Melton only fell down because he didn't play a year due to his NCAA issue, as far as actual talent goes he is a top 20 talent in this draft for sure.

Anderson is the biggest mental midget I have seen in my entire life, now that he is out of the lime light I fully expect him to go back to 16 ppg Ryno like when he was in NO. PHX fans will love him until they reach the playoffs which is probably a couple of years away.

In short I disagree with you I think Suns will be happy for this trade, Chris and Knight were redundant with Booker and Ayton at least Melton and Anderson complement theur stars.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. RLP55

RLP55 Member

I'm a big USC fan. Melton had a 'good' freshman season. But he wasn't even the third best player on that team.

He got drafted, ahead of Metu and McLaughlin ( both UDFA ), strickly on potentional. Justifiably so.
    He does project to be a good pro player.

Under MDA, he was not going to play. He might have actually been the #5 guard behind MCW. He was not going to get into the rotation of a team competing for a title. I think we will miss his potential and I'd like to see a influx of younger players on the roster.

The goal was to rid ourselves of the Anderson contract. At the cost of Melton? So be it. All previous scenarios had us including future first round picks. I hope Melton has a good/solid career. But to drop Anderson from the books and acquire Knight and Chriss, a job well done Morey!

HTown_TMac, Lloyd Estacio and D-rock like this.
  11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I like Melton and hated to see him go. And you could argue he is top 20 pick for various reasons. But we will have to disagree because that doesn't make him a can't miss prospect and the Suns are horrible player developers.

D-rock likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

But you don't really make any sense if the Suns are horrible player developers why will they pin the blame on the Rox?

Knight and Chriss were already ineffective in their system they wouldn't contribute anything to the team even if they stayed, not with Booker and Ayton needing all the mins at pg and C.

Suns here are just taking a gamble using players who didn't work in their system, same thing as the Rox.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Knight and Chriss were ineffective in their system. But Booker and Knight are not the same position. Nor are Chriss and Ayton. Chriss played mostly PF last year and Booker is a SG. Now going back to them being ineffective, I believe it was the Suns "system" that heavily contributed to their lack of success. We have a completely different playbook on developing. We have good trainers in Lucas and Hakeem. We have some of the best distributers in CP3 and Harden. And we have a good balance of chemistry and competitiveness. I dare say, if you can't contribute in this system, you're future is going to be outside the US as a player.

If they do play to their potential, the Suns fans will pin the blame on the Suns management. And the Suns management won't want to embarrass themselves again by dealing with the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Suns picked Chriss in the lotto and paid Knight 15M a year so I highly doubt the fans will pin the blame on the Suns other than the usual "Suns suck" complaints, clearly Suns didn't miss out on those two it just didn't work out. You already said the reasons for their possible success, so not sure why the Suns will be embarassed if they succeed since those reasons don't exist on their org, they don't have Harden, Cp3 and the MDA system. Whether Chriss or Knight succeed it is a moot point for the Suns because they didn't succeed in the Suns team so keeping them on the team won't do any good. They've already had Knight for 3 years, keeping him longer won't have a different result.

It's the same thing if Anderson thrived in the Suns team and suddenly started scoring 30 ppg, are you then gonna say it was a mistake to trade him when you know he sucks on the Rockets?

15. Dandy Chiggins

Funny how people are upset about Melton. Yes he has potential (Jeremy Lamb), but the rockets didn't have to give up a 1st round pick with the trade. Melton wasn't going to get any PT on our roster barring numerous injuries. Morey has a 1st round pick in the next couple of Drafts which he will find or flip into a missing piece. Just remember in Morey we Trust.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You may be right Smooth. I've spent 33-years in the spook world, so I have a tendency to look at all angles and fairly deep as well. I may be over complicating it.

smoothie likes this.
  17. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Clutchfans disappointed we traded someone that is probably the second coming of Luther Head! . One thing you can't teach is height. The guy was 6"3 that's a PG in the NBA

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. jsilencio

jsilencio Member

Another Kyle Tucker? Are you kidding? The kid has barely sniffed the majors.

19. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Before the draft, if Morey trade a second pick and ryno for that package, all the fans will knee down in front of Morey and pray to him, now people start questioning this and that, just funny

Shark44, HTown_TMac and hakeem94 like this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its all about wingspan though.