1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now what are Morey's FINAL summer moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Aug 13, 2018.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

There was never really an obvious role here (besides backup C) for James Johnson, so it doesn’t surprise me to hear talks dwindled. I’m sure Miami’s asking price was high. Probably too high for a guy that didn’t address our most compelling need (defensive 3).

At this point, a few observations/predictions:

1) I’ll be very surprised if Ryno is Houston on opening night
    2) Unless an Otto Porter or Jimmy Buckets type suddenly becomes available, we’re hanging on to our first rounders
    3) The goal is to breakup his contract and/or garbage-for-garbage it for another player(s) with deals that also do not go beyond next season (i.e. taking a hard pass on Batum)
    4) The Rockets believe they already have enough take out GS and don’t view Ryno’s trade return to be essential. In other words, getting a rotation piece might not be a guarantee and they’re okay with that.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aside from Shumpert+Koufus.....a better deal I would like would be Moe Harkless+Leornard. Just splitting up Anderson into two players here. Same number of years. Leonard sucks, but at least Harkless is serviceable as a 3 & D SF. He is better than Shumpert. Even if the Rockets have to carry Leonard's carcass.

carib, jch1911, BaselineFade and 3 others like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thanks for the info.

This smell like a J.R Smith kind of trade though...ugh.

I was always skeptical on the chance to make a deal with Riley...wouldn't be shocked if he asked for a 1st rounder and Melton...i like Johnson, but he's not worth that package. If we can swap Ryan for meh players like Shumpert while keeping our pick and Melton, that's good imo.

#63 Vivi, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    D-rock, mikol13 and Red Chocolate like this.
  4. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

I was just looking at that same deal. Moe Harkless is 6'9, has improved his 3-ball, can switch, and is athletic. I don't think we'd even have to add in a 1st or 2nd. Could be a straight up deal (Harkless & Leonard for Ryno& Zhou).

jch1911 likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm also skeptical about a deal with the Blazers, i don't think they will trade Harkless (which is their starting SF) for Anderson which would be a 20M back up of Aminu.

Dubious and Dacamel like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah I mean, it is funny to bring up this deal, because this was the EXACT deal on the table in the 3 team Ryan Anderson & Melo deal last summer. Knicks were happy to take on Harkless but wanted NO PART of Leonard's contract. That killed the deal. Portland was fine with taking on Ryan Anderson. So, perhaps, here we are again the following year and circling back.

In terms of unsexy trades, I would certainly take Harkless and the carcass of Leonard. At least Harkless is playable vs GSW.

D-rock, carib, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eh, They have Turner and Aminu to play SF as well. They have a need for shooting. And were willing to take Anderson last year. So it is possible. They haven't done much this summer and threw away Ed Davis which hasn't pleased the fan base.

joshuaao likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel the same way. It's either the Grizzlies or the Cavs, I believe they could be in play here.
    Edit I meant the Kings, instead of the Grizzlies.

#68 saleem, Aug 14, 2018
  9. saleem

They do need shooting and Anderson was on their radar. I'm skeptical that a team with playoff aspirations, like the Blazers would want him, after his disastrous performance. I sure hope Melton won't be attached with him.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Melton or a 1st round pick are not going to be involved in any additions that are looked at as a meh trade addition for the Rockets.

I don't see the trade path with the Cavs (RE: JR Smith) and Anderson's 21M salary. Unless you are saying JR+Kyle Korver

11. seeingred

seeingred Member

Pat f***ing Beverley.

Just got a feeling...

12. Fantasma Negro

Ryno for
    [​IMG]
    Confirmed

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, but Turner can't shoot and Aminu is their starting 4, it's just that...if i'm Portland, i don't see a reason why i should trade my starting 3 just to make room for Anderson and to slide my starting 4 to the 3. I mean, they might need some shooting, i don't know about that, but Aminu and Harkless shoot 37/41% from the 3pt line last season, they can both switch well on defense, why would they want to trade one of them just to get Anderson and play him in the starting 5 when they already have weak defenders like Lillard and CJ? It doesn't make any sense to me.

There was that rumor about the Blazers being involved in the Melo trade with the Knicks, but was that ever confirmed being true? I mean, were the Blazers really interested in taking back Anderson for Harkless and Leonard, or they were in the mix trying to get Melo?

At this point i don't really know what team could be involved for Ryan...thinking about what ch said, might very well be Shumpert and Koufos from the Kings, nothing exiting about that package, but at least we would get a good back up center and a couple of decent contracts to eventually move later.

#73 Vivi, Aug 14, 2018
    jch1911 likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and theres the possibility of ryno being traded for 2 players.

edwards, clark, and a pick can be traded for someone like oubre to lower their tax bill and clear a logjam. would be a good fit at SF for us, and they probably don't want to pay him next summer.

15. saleem

I want to see Clark as a backup 4, however acquiring Oubre would be a real coup for our Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Damn....I'm really disappointed. Unless Ennis really shows out, I'm kinda miffed we couldnt add one more wing player.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's likely to happen eventually but probably not until the season goes on. The roster seems pretty much set at the moment and questions will be answered on how the pieces such as Ennis and melo adjust to filling in on this team. And their level of contribution. It's not like a wing is just sitting out there to be had

HP3 and saleem like this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

johnson and bazemore would count as "exciting." miami talks died because morey and riley are both sharks, and the price was too high for bazemore (FRP+melton). marvin williams would count as "upgrading that spot" so ch44 is probably saying something else is in the works. we have to look at the other teams that @Codman said were in the mix.

KINGS - "not upgrading that spot" as @ch44 said, could mean taking on two contracts that are easier to move in the future like shumpert and randolph. either could be traded by the deadline with a pick for something useful since they are both expiring contracts.

WIZARDS - they're not trading us wall, beal, or porter, and we're not taking rivers or dwight. that leaves mahinmi + one of morris or smith. ryno fits well next to dwight and would give the wizards some much needed shooting. with the wizards over the LT they probably would rather us take morris which saves them a lot of money this year... enough probably to offset next year's increased cost of swapping mahinmi for ryno. maybe it saves them enough money that we don't need to add a pick.

GRIZZLIES - literally the only thing that works for ryno here is parsons. the grizzlies aren't going into the LT to take on ryno for temple/green. feelings about parsons aside, ryno is actually the better player on the better contract, and the better fit on their team. maybe they throw in a young player or another asset like a SRP or two.

overall i like the kings trade the best out of these options. we know morey's been after shumpert for some time. both shumpert and randolph have large enough contracts that they could be traded for something decent before the deadline, and the ending contracts should make it easier for us to find a good deal in trades. that's the key idea here, trade for contracts that will be more palatable for miami and atlanta to send us johnson or bazemore for just a pick. the price for taking on ryno is just too high.

i don't see us working anything out with the wizards since mahinmi's contract isn't significantly better than ryno's and he's not even as useful on the court. morris is tradable but he's paid too little to flip him later for someone we want. the grizzlies trade does nothing for me and i wish Codman didn't mention them!

luckyman76 likes this.
  19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I think Melton signing would be a clear indication that nothing is happening soon, but until then, I think he could be packaged if the right deal comes along.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i didn't get to watch summer league. what do you like about clark as a backup 4?