1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul gives record-breaking $2.5 million to Wake Forest Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Paul isn’t very smart. He somehow made LeBron look smart.

In all seriousness, Paul doesn’t discuss his upbringing much but he has overcome a lot and deserves a lot of credit.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Man you guys are confusing. I thought it was Htine

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

David Ortiz, Cal Ripken Jr, JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Jeremy Roenick, PK Subban, Didier Drogba, David Beckham.... ALL fall in a faint.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

How ungrateful. Jeez.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

nice job for donating chris...

but the skeptic in me feels like the money could have been better served than making a locker room look nicer..

GotGame15 likes this.
  6. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

So you're saying... CP3... voluntarily paid a measly $2.5 million in order to receive a huge monetary windfall of $1.25 million?? The man is a financial genius and is clearly taking advantage of our tax code!!!

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I know Tillman is thinking son if you wanted to give money away we could have cut a deal.

You give me a 2.5 mil cut on the contract. I save 9.5 mil on salary/ luxury tax and I'll give 5 mil to Wake.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Couldn't he have taken less money and just asked Tilman to make a donation to the school? Nice of him to donate so much money, but that 2.5m would help...

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

That billionaire is our team owner. If saving him money means we have more money to spend on more talent, than I'm all for saving that billionaire money. Not bc he needs it, but bc I need it -- it being more talent to ensure a victory against GSW!

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Considering we were OVER the LT already, how do you feel taking $2.5M less would help? It helps Tillman save LT money personally, but it doesn't alter anything in the Rockets ability to sign anyone. CP3 would have to take significantly less money to make a difference, which if it meant signing someone like PG13, Kawhi, or LBJ, he might have considered it. To take a huge payout to give Ariza $15M, which we shouldn't give Ariza even if we did have that available, would be just ridiculous on his part.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Chill

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Between CP3, Harden, Melo, and Gerald we will have one of the most philanthropic teams in the league. Harden and Melo were finalists for the J. Walter Kennedy award last season:

http://probasketballwriters.org/ant...den-wade-kennedy-citizenship-award-finalists/

It's amazing that our athletes set such a great example in this field when they could just as easily choose to look the other way. They have certainly inspired me to do more in my community.

jcf likes this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If it lowers his tax bill, he might be willing to spend money in the future bc of his previous savings.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Right... :rolleyes:

15. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I'm always curious as to how people think tax savings on giving works, you are still giving away most of that money, it's not like you donate $1 million and can write-off $1 million in taxes. I'm not saying it is nothing, but something like 60% of that donation is gone, so you can write-off like 40% of it.

GotGame15 and topfive like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

My dad used to say when someone won a car on a game show: "Yeah, but they have to pay taxes on it."

Um, yeah, dad. So they're getting a $25,000 car for $5000 or so in taxes.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

topfive likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm glad he's trying to help the needy.

19. theimpossibles1

God I hope cp3 isn't on CFans.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, he should donate to help humans, not some forest. Damn hippie tree-hugger.