1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Weren't you talking about taking the QO and becoming UFA next summer. There is a big gap between $17m and the Max. Why do you keep saying the Max. And we can't match next summer, so he could take something in the first hours of July 1st, before we are ready to go to our highest offer.

Point is: You said he'd leave money on the table next year by leaving. That *only* assumes we offer him the Max...and with 8% max raises.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah and we’d know pretty early on, probably weeks before that a team was going to go after Capela and offer him the max. Point is we’d be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep him by offering him more than the other team.

My point is that the only way I see Capela leaving is if the Rockets don’t think he’s a max player or he walks away for less money.

heypartner likes this.
  3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

He has BJ as an agent. He could be in China next year. His clients have their rights.

4. basketballholic

Second year non-guaranteed and it's a deal for me.

5. basketballholic

More likely the Rockets want to pay him a bonus if he shoots the three efficiently and enough.

htxaf likes this.
  6. izeroi

izeroi Member

How about if he makes his FT's...

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I disagree. If he gets a max offer is because some team wants him that badly, not that he is actually worth the max and all it takes is one scrubby team looking to take a gamble on a player's potential. It doesn't matter how many players in FA is better than him.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Show me an example of that.

9. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

Chandler Parsons

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith got a huge contract from Detroit that no one else would be willing to give him. It wasn't quite the max but it was damn close.

11. basketballholic

My thoughts on Capela's contract situation.

1. IF......And it's a big if....but IF we could find a trade partner that would take Capela in a sign-and-trade, while also taking Ryan Anderson's contract and would give us back expiring contracts of at least somewhat useful rotation worthy players WITHOUT COSTING US ANY PICKS (and possibly even giving us a young big back [dream on])

THEN I think we should make that trade happen to better position us for a superstar/star acquisition at the deadline.

If we can't get that done then

2. I would like to see a deal something like this TOPS.... with anything lesser even better.

4 year deal
    Starts at $21 million
    Reverse engineered decreasing salaries by 8%.
    Yr-1 $21 million
    Yr-2 $19.32 million
    Yr-3 $17.64 million
    Yr-4 $15.96 million

That's 4 years/$73.92 million. I'd go 4/75 if necessary.

*****Here's the kickers******

a. 4th season player option - This gives Clint the ability to opt out of deal with 7 years of experience, which would quantify him for the higher 30% max.

b. Years 2-4 NON-GUARANTEED with guarantee dates for each season set for March 1 (or some other date post trade deadline) of the previous season. Think the Chandler Parsons rookie contract on steroids.

This gives us the ability to get out of the deal if necessary if Clint underperforms. And it also helps us be able to trade him as essentially an expiring contract if we need to do that.

c.. A laddered set of performance based incentives from 5% to the max 15% each season based on certain things such as free throw percentage and three point shooting that would be classified as "not likely to be achieved" but if he did achieve all of them he could boost his earnings to:
    4-years/$85 million

Or most likely

3-years/$66.6 million (bwahaha BEAST......get it?)

after which he would most likely opt out for a true guaranteed max deal because he would truly be a BEAST by being a great Pick-n-Roll finisher AND ALSO a great pick-and-pop or straight spot up shooter. That is the ultimate offensive weapon at the 5 in our system. And I'd be glad to hand him a max if he could do that.

=================================

I hope this list convinces you guys I'm not Clint hater. I'd sign him to this deal, give him $21 million this season and root like heaven for him to achieve the entire bonus. Because if he did that......we're probably winning a championship!!! And that's what it's all about!

I don't hate Clint. I just don't want to get stuck with two guys on the bench making $40+ million that can't help us beat the Warriors and have a net neutral to net negative trade value individually or when they are combined.

3. If we can't get #1 done, and we can't get Capela to agree to #2 or something less that gives us the flexibility to get off his deal if we need to....then offer him 2/50 with second season either team option or non-guaranteed.

4. If we can't get 1,2, or 3 done then sign him to the qualifying offer and end it.

WE CANNOT TAKE A LONG TERM RISK ON CAPELA AS LONG AS ANDERSON IS ON THE ROSTER!!!!!

(If we do, it will most likely doom and close our championship window because of lack of trade flexibility.)

#891 basketballholic, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  12. basketballholic

That too...as I just wrote above.

izeroi likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

The Mavs didn’t want him when he went to Memphis.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

New quote from Morey:

Sounds like he's being a little coy / sarcastic, implying that his deal to Capela is sweet and he should take it. Can't say I disagree.

15. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Teams were obviously lining up for Clint this offseason.......

[​IMG]

J Sizzle and fckbandwagons like this.
  16. alethios

alethios Member

Clint's agency is holding on as long as they can before agreeing to terms with the Rockets, just in case something gets proffered from another team. They're playing a game of "Wait for it...wait for it...wait for it....ok now!" Hope it doesn't backfire for Clint.

napalm06 and sirjesse like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I mean, the only thing they can hope for is some team wanting a S&T. Because there is no money left out the market. I think Sac has got 11M. That is it.

Otherwise, what is here is what is here.

sirjesse likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It sure seems that way.

sirjesse likes this.
  19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

He can always take the QO if unhappy, and HOPE a team next year gives you more. But it is a gamble. Risking an extra $75M (80-QO) on the table in hopes to get an extra $95M (assuming rockets and other team both offer 4 yr deals). No value. Take the $75M.

20. htownrocketman

Nobody cares about your thoughts anymore bro. Go ahead and give it up.