1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Carmelo Anthony set to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the signing of Carmelo Anthony?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. YES

90.9%
  2. NO

9.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's just form a team of 34-40 year old Allstars while we are at it.

2. hakeemthagreat

KD didn't start the superteam trend, somebody else did

3. rammo

rammo Member

476 yes votes to 43 no’s thus far...

Melo going at 91.7% as a Rocket.

#bucketz

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's not wrong about that. Tilman has lied about the level to which he is willing to spend. That's not really arguable.

He’s unwise to think he’s smarter than Daryl Morey, however.

6. Chamillionaire

Stopped reading at highly productive players.

RealRocFan47, Deuce, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

So According to the Media the Rockets lost a Superstar in Trevor Ariza. Feldman should look for other Employment, Majority of the Media don't know basketball.
    Nick Wright is really the only guy that makes sense in any topic, plus knows a lot about history and performance with players.

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

You have no clue about Tilman lied about. I like both players, but don't let your emotions cloud reality.

I take him for a man that does not spend his money foolishly. It's not that they didn't want to pay them. It is that they found someone comparable or better, for cheaper. Just like any business would.

Ariza is not worth $15M. You can find another player >90% Ariza for cheaper. Probably good enough.

Luc did nothing against GSW, really the playoffs in general. He is a net zero. Bringing in ANY rotational player that takes up some mins is a plus. Maybe you say Luc could be that guy if he was healthy. Probably. I did not hear about his shoulder being fixed. Most agree, if it is not fixed, it becomes easier and easier to pop out. So is it worth the risk? or do you go find another? Rockets found another.

Deuce and rockets1995 like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

2015 Media sure we're wrong on Josh Smith is overpaid with Detroit, he doesn't add anything to the Rockets. Josh Smith destroyed the Mavericks with alley oops to Dwight for Dunks all series. Rockets in Elimination with Harden on the bench, Josh took over the series over the Clippers Game 6 sparking a huge run down around 26 points. Leading the team by assisting and knocking down 3s, shot blocking Blake Griffin.
    2017 Media says James Harden is not a Point Guard, What is Mike DAntoni thinking putting James Harden at Point Guard. Harden led the league in Assists.The Rockets won't play defense. Clint Capela is not a Starter. Harden is a MVP that year media hates they are wrong. Give Mike DAntoni the Coach of the Year.
    2018 Media says James Harden and Chris Paul will never work with 2 ball dominant Guards. Rockets had the Best Record in the Whole NBA.
    2019 Media says Losing Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah Moute is going to make the Rockets worse. Ariza slowed Kevin Durant. Lol Ariza was the Slow Defender on Kevin Durant. Durant avg over 30 against Ariza. Game 7 Ariza 0-9 from 3 chucking 3s 0-12 FG. Luc didn't play at all against the Warriors. His Shoulder and Health is a problem.
    Media says Carmelo Anthony is washed up, a terrible defender and won't fit on the Rockets. ISO Basketball in Game 7 was a weakness, Harden can't do it Alone , Now Carmelo is here, Chris Paul backup Point Guard Help will limit his minutes playing more games. Low Post Scoring, Midrange, 3 Point Shooting, Carmelo is a way better player than Ariza and Luc Combined Offensively. Carmelo shooting can go head to head with Durant in stretches. The Rockets improved the team I believe, this is a 60 or more win team, the bench is improved. It will be a Great Year for the Rockets.

#529 rockets1995, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    chinesemamba and hieuytran like this.
  10. lurgar

lurgar Member

Could we even pay Ariza $15 mil? I thought there was something about us being at the cap and we couldn't give him that much money.

11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

KD is gonna get 30 regardless, might as well have someone on the other side who can get you 20+.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, they had bird rights, they could have paid him if they wanted to.

13. tobster

tobster Member

I agree completely. My original post which was referred to as me knowing nothing is talking about I don't understand how people are so butt hurt over not having Luc. He is a role player. That is his ceiling and that is it. Not a great 6th man... a great 8th or 9th guy. He really didn't warrant all of the drama over losing him.

14. Chamillionaire

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

he might be a role player but he was definitely part of the rockets defensive identity that allowed them to be as versatile and good as it was. the replacements thus far are very questionable and the defense has taken a hit as of now.

16. tobster

tobster Member

No doubt the defense has taken a hit. I just think the offensive advantages we are going to have now out weigh that.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

that remains to be seen and what role melo has in this offense.

personally don't believe in sacrificing defense that has proven to translate to the most success against GS to date

18. tobster

tobster Member

I have the feeling that they may focus on getting Harden and CP3 more rest this upcoming season. They don't need them to kill themselves during the regular season. Getting a scorer like Melo helps to alleviate that for them.

arno_ed likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Name me a team that if offered Ariza for 15 million, LMM for 5 million, or Carmelo freakin Anthony for 2 million, would choose either of the first two.

I get that the media is frustrated that the Rockets are what the Lakers/Knicks *should* be, but some of these takes are high hilarity.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

we say that every year. with cp3 it probably makes more sense yeah but not really expecting a huge difference from this past season, especially with getting new players