1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

lets face it, our fans suck

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Khal80, Jan 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

A good public transportation system will help.

2. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

How come New York or Philly fans are so rabid and passionate? Their teams have sucked and the level of play has been ugly at certain times and their tickets are high, etc...

Go to a basketball game in self-respecting sports city and there's a distinct difference. People call out players, they take up chants, they get into the game - they have fun. Go to a college basketball game and the atmosphere can't be more energized...

I don't know what it is about Houston; there's got to be something more than prices that's keeping fans away. Or maybe the problem is with the type of fans in Houston - I don't think this city has ever had a history of great sports moments that promotes loyalty and fervor (except maybe for the Love ya Blue era).

How to fix it?

3. allan

allan Member

So you think that dwntwn which is centrally located and the heart of the city with serveral transportation options is a poor location? Where do you suggest is a better location, out in the sticks somewhere? that would be ill-conceived. Sorry but the inner city, especially dwntwn is where events like sports and theatre and music should take place. Welcome to the city.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think jiggy is getting too much crap.

I love Houston and many Houstonians. Here's what I've observed though (over 20 years there attending rock concerts, club shows, and many sporting events).

In general, compared to many other towns, Houston crowds are very subdued. They are mellow, which is fine. But I used to hear so many bands complain about playing in Houston, and the sports crowds generally aren't as loud on average as the same number of people would be elsewhere.

Houstonians want to hang out; they're not hyper. I kind of like this about Houstonians, but it does make for sucky "fans," if you take the term fan to its parent word: fanatic. Houstonians aren't fanatics about much of anything, so they'll cheer for a good product, for sure, especially in the playoffs. But they're not going to go ape **** just because they got their butts into an arena.

Doesn't this make sense? Anyway, I don't think there's anything to do about this intrinsic nature unless you pass out some drugs at the turnstyles.

5. Houstonrocketss

Your venting thats all which is understandable but do not OUR fans we are not your fans I am a Rockets fan, how do you think I feel paying above 1k for my seats every year for this type of performance? I ask myself every year why renew? and I always come up with one reason:
    Habitforming.

Do I think the Arena is for the upperclass? yes I do
    Could it be more fan friendly and more affordable for the average fan? Yes it could
    Will it? No, because we have a greedy owner who cares more about the suits than the fans.

I got two words for Les "Conseco fieldhouse"
    You walk in you know your in a basketball arena.

6. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

I havent really done that much research, but I dont know of too many NBA teams that have a fan site of the quality of clutchfans.net where 15,000+ members come to and discuss in over a million+ posts about various hot rocket topics such as Moochie's fro or Why Yao wears a bracelet on his arm. I think Houston fans are great.

Either way, as someone touched on in another thread -- in New York someone can just hop on a subway and goto the game. I know that personally for me, it's a huge pain to navigate through downtown, and then pay another 10 bucks for parking. I think as soon as the light rail system gets up and running it'll attract more fans to the games, but I don't know. I think the ticket prices are fair. It is a BRAND NEW state of the art arena which is supposed to promise a better watching experience compared to other arenas in the NBA. I think the ticket prices are very reasonable, in fact im surprised the tickets arent priced higher. And as has been stated earlier, concessions at sporting events are always going to be horrible, gross, and overpriced. Just dont eat it.

As for the Rockets under-achieving. Here's some news for you. Coming into this season the consensus was that AT THE VERY BEST, AS IN THE BEST-CASE SCENARIO we would be a 6th seed behind powerhouses San Antonio, Minnesota, LA Lakers, Dallas, and Sacramento. Right now we're a 7th seed a half game behind the 6th seeded Nuggets. We arent under achieving by any means - we're right where we should be. And I don't think that Denver will be able to sustain their play as the season wears on, but a team like Seattle or Portland might make a run at us.

Hate JVG all you want, but come playoff time you guys will love him. His style is protypical playoff basketball. Take a look at the Lakers for example. Yes, they arent play well now, but look at how teams are beating them ... they have to score 100+ points to win. Teams are outscoring the Lakers, not beating them. The Rockets thoroughly beat them on both sides of the ball. When the playoffs come around, no one outside of Dallas or Sacramento will be able to outscore the Lakers. The Rockets' half court offense will make them one of the most dangerous teams in the playoffs regardless of seeding. Once the offense comes around combined with our suffocating defense, this team will be dominant and entertaining. When the Spurs were playing in the finals everyone complained about how boring the series was. Yes, the games were pretty horrid to watch, but the Spurs have no personality. Every pregame show was about David Robinson's impending retirement .. yawn. Our team has personality, Steve and Yao give this team life. Houston fans are lucky to be able to root for this team.

7. superjazzfan

superjazzfan Member

I actually like Rockets fans.

Most of you are manic, but passionate and entertaining.

Clutch is maybe the best NBA message board on the net.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Look at the upper deck vs the lower bowl and it's obvious. They sold out (in both meanings of the word) the lower bowl to the river oaks crowd, giving them indifferent corporate types and yuppies that either don't show or don't get into the game.

Upper deck is so far removed that it's tough to get into the game, and even if they do, they're not heard.

I sit at the top corner of the lower bowl, and we're pretty good. The side court seats though? Zero.

Evan

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Some fans are still complaining the price even it is just $10 or $20 for high bowl seats? :confused: :rolleyes:

How about New York?

The price is much more expensive, Knicks sucks, they are boring and losing, and yet the attendance is still better than Houston.

Maybe New Yorkers don't have their night life. :p :D

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Oh - and downtown DOES suck. The parking fees are outrageous for one, and the traffic jam getting out is worse.

I don't blame anyone that's less inclined to attend.

Evan

11. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Parking complainers - why don't you look around. There are cheaper spots. Do you drive up to the stadium and expect there to be magical free parking?

It's NOT Compaq. Get over it.

Spots can be found for less if you're willing to go 2+ blocks away. You could even find free spots.

Q: Can't you even park at the Rail lot ($2) and take the nice new rail into the sports area (Toyota/Minute Maid)?

12. allan

allan Member

Good point i was thinking the same. Houston crowds ARE more subdued than crowds in other cities.

13. allan

allan Member

Ever heard of walking that right park a little further the parking is cheaper and while everyone is stuck in traffic you can walk right past them? Or here is a crazy idea how about using the public transit. People say it doesnt work, well it doesnt work if people dont use it and the more people use it the better it will get. Maybe dwntwn does suck when you are stuck INSIDE a car.

14. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Not in the Texans' game

15. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

seats to expensive:

brand new arena. do you think all the money and investors would have gone ahead with the building of a new facility if seat pricing was %85 discounted from the standards of seat pricing around the NBA?

is it high? yeah. too high? .....depends... i think if youre a rocket fan who follows the rockets all season, watches their games...you have an obligation to the rockets (and yourself) to put your money where your mouth is and get out to at LEAST one game a year....and you know what...splurging on a 55 dollar seat isnt so bad.

4 million + or - houstonians
    39 home games
    18,300 capacity.....

if youre one of those rockets fans that watch the rockets on tv and dont get out to see A game per season and just complain about them..youre no friend of mine. and i dont make much. just crotch a half pint if you have to. eat before the game. park 4 blocks away.

DOWNTOWN
    YES!!!! you better recognize. best thing thats ever happened to houston is minute maid park and the toyota center being placed downtown. REMEMBER NOW, i actually GO so i know what youre complaining about isnt so bad.

RAVEN
    loser

16. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

allan:

unfortunately, a majority of rocket season ticket holders live on the west/southwest/northwest corridors making the downtown arena an extra 20-30 minutes minimum compared to the Compaq center when you take into account the compute in Houston rush hour. I can promise you that the majority of fans do not come from the North part of town...it may be more convenient for some (northern brethern), but a traffic nightmare for most fans. Downtown is not the epicenter for Houston in terms of people flow contrary to what you think. I know they keep trying and it has increased, but traffic makes weekday travel a disaster. Traffic patterns clearly show that the west/southwest parts of town are the largest population bases and thus Compaq Center/Galleria would have been the best choice for location.

It is obvious that fans are not getting to the arena on time, more than usual and some are not attending as many games because of the extra difficulty in making weekday games. I have gone to 12 home games this year and talking to most in my section, this is the sentiment.

The arena is nice, but the location and the seating arrangement have taken a downturn. Upperprom is night major nosebleeds and bottom seats are only decent in the $60+ range, whereas the Compaq center $35 seats were decent...this part is MHO...

17. allan

allan Member

Sorry if you have to travel 20 or 30 minutes more through rush hour but that is one of the drawbacks to not living intown, but you knew that when you moved to where ever it is you live. And if you have a problem with the traffic, can I once again suggest Public Transit? That is what it is for. If you dont like traffic then get out of your car, its that simple.

18. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

I was fortunate enough to finally attend a Toyota Center home game in December followed by last night's game at MSG. My observations:

1. Ticket prices are comparable for the lower bowl area (maybe more expensive for the priciest seats at MSG) with perhaps more cheaper upper bowl tickets at Toyota Center, but the upper bowl feels farther up compared to MSG, where basically every seat is pretty darn good (relatively speaking). However, probably across the board you just can't find cheap tickets at MSG so have to fork over a lot of money.

2. Concession prices - about 6 to 6.50 for beer at MSG, same as Toyota Center I think....food is about equal too in prices. I think all sports arenas believe in the same inflated pricing system. I still get a drink and some munchies regardless.

3. Fans - much more rabid at MSG (I have been to every Rockets-Knicks game at MSG for the past 5 years or so). Even through the bad times, they are just more emotional about the team and seem to be really into it. Many "average" fans are picking out things like a "moving pick" as opposed to "oh that's a foul" type. Also more chants, more banter, more crowd spirit...it's just a fun atmosphere to be if you are an NBA fan.

4. Transportation - yes, mass transit is great. I love it. MSG is located basically at a major train station - Penn Station, so almost everyone from NJ to the Bronx can have access to it with relative ease. Houston downtown arena area is getting better though. Let's see how it shapes up in a few years. I am really hoping the rail system picks up. It would be really really great if Houstonians got out of their cars and had the option of using mass transit to go to the arenas and other events. This is also good if you like to have a beer or two or more at these events. Much safer for all involved.

Overall, if I was living in Houston, I would attend several games a year (at the very least a 6 pack or two). Heck, I attend both NY and NJ games twice a year just to see the Rockets. I have a great time talking to Nets and Knicks rep when they call about season ticket packages (my response is: can I see the Rockets every game then I will buy one).

I just wish there were more rabid fans (fanatics) in Houston like there is right now for the Texans, but I really do think Houston is a fair-weather or at least a laid-back sports city compared to say NY or Boston. Now if we can go deep in the playoffs maybe the fan(atics) will come back...

19. allan

allan Member

My sentiments exactly, in a perfect world.

20. westbury44

westbury44 Member

But the Rockets are a boring team.