1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love a realistic option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxFanfrom93, Jun 8, 2018.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You mean ... ???

2. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

AD cousions, we can comsider Michael beasley Rudy gay, if they not come. Those ppl know how to put the ball into basket

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry. Got no love for Kevin.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

You need some rest my friend.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Everyone’s hate for Ryan is clouding their judgement.

Tyson doesn’t have value. Unless your taking on a contract and using him as an expiring and hats minimal. He’s a backup now. Worth maybe a 2nd. Dudley is dead weight who doesn’t even play in the regular season.

Overpaid or not, Ryan is still a good rotation player. Not the high end rotation player we need as an elite contender, but on bad teams he is a good starter and middle of the pack teams he’s a good rotation piece. He actually CAN improve a team who sucks and looking to progress.

Conversely, Koufos, temple and shump are all nothing contracts and nothing players. They are fodder. Ryan is better than all of them.

I know it’s popular to throw around “Ryan has he worst contract in the nba” around here on ClutchFans but that is very far from the truth. There are countless more bad contracts if your looking at it objectively.

Tbh, trading Ryan for any pairing of those players makes us worse as a team. No denying that. The only reason to entertain it it because we are heading into luxury next season. This would be a move to combat future ramifications. Especially if we are able to land a marquee player this offseason.

The over exaggeration of Ryan’s contract is bonkers on this board.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I would take love over Ryno anyday but I just don't see how Cavs would do that trade. Love plus Lebron to Houston for ryno, EG and CC?

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't hate Ryan, i'm just being realistic, the same team that tried to sign him (which is also his home team) 24 months ago, asked two 1st rounders to eat his contract 12 months ago. Ryan just finished his worst season ever and everyone knows we want to dump him. That's just reality.

I agree on Tyson value, but that's still value, they will not give him away for free unless they get back unguaranteed money to have more cap space to play with in free agency, certainly they will not give him away to take back a negative asset.

Ryan might still be a good rotation player, but certainly wasn't in the last months, and even though i agree that there're some worse contracts out there, that doesn't make his own better, it's still a brick in every enviroment outside of a team which is just starting a full rebuilding (Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland). That takes the Suns out of the equation, also cause unless they move someone, they have already two/three players to develop in the same spot so, they just don't need him.

As for the Kings i would disagree cause to me Koufos is a decent back up center, Temple a decent bench guard. Shumpert is probably done, but anyway, they're three expiring contracts, also pretty flexible cause they make 8M/8M/11M, they can be usefull in a trade going forward, if not well, they're expiring. I'm also pretty sure the Kings don't have their pick next year (probably goes to Boston) so they'll try to compete as much as they can, if they take Ryan they likely won't be able to trade that salary for anyone.

amaru likes this.
  9. aroundtheblock2

These threads just prove who really sees what's going on in the NBA.
    This suggestion is laughable.

10. amaru

amaru Member

Yea maybe. I just have a hard time seeing it.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Kevin Love has the exact same issues on the defensive end as Ryno against GS

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Why not swing for the fences?

Cavs in: EG, CC, Ryno and a first
    Houston in: LeBron and Love

Houston then signs DJ on the cheap
    Paul
    Harden
    LBJ
    Love
    Jordan

Please don't take this seriously.

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

**** no. Another overpaid player like Ryan Anderson?

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

There were “reports” of teams asking for 2 1st re picks. It was never stated this was Sacramento. The report said Sacramento wouldn’t take him for “free” and at least 2 teams wanted 2 1st rd picks.

That’s not saying they wanted 2 1st rd picks...

Conversely, 2/40 is significantly better than 3/60.

Ryan started out great for us but ended badly. Sure maybe it’s his worse season but that’s because he was on the very best team in the league. The first few months Ryan was great. His last few sucked because he got hurt and then got benched.

On the best team in the league he is a spot minted guy. Because we are trying to be elite and all-time.

But on Phoenix or Sacramento he’s a 25-30 mpg starter.

Cap space? For what?

Who is willing to sign there except an aging veteran looking for a cash grab and they have to overpay? Why not just take a “short” term contract overpay in Ryan and open up cap space in 2 years when hopefully your window of competing has arrived?

If they draft Ayton they are going to wanna open up time for him. Tyson isn’t gonna wanna play “mentor”. He wants to compete and is on record saying such.

They likely get rid of him for an improvement in another area.

What do they lack? Shooting... They are weakest at the 4 spot. They got “young” but bad prospects, sure, but they need balance. They are also going to want to stretch the floor if Ayton is to become a key cog for them.

There is definitely an avenue of value here for Phoenix.

I don’t agree with this assessment. Absolute tanking rebuilding teams want contracts like deng or Parsons who are absolute dead money because they can get a better asset and still suck. Ryan you get a less asset and a better team. Doesn’t compute.

Relative to teams like Sacramento and Phoenix who have said they want to begin getting competitive. This is where you snatch an asset and a player, while vastly overpaid, can attribute to better success and a better team.

Get paid an asset to help improve your team and achieve your goal of becoming more successful

I agree Koufos is a decent backup. That doesn’t mean he has value. They have like 6 center type prospects and may take another this draft. They have to shed him just to open up space and playing time.

Temple is a 8-10 rotation guy. Not really valuable but more like a net neutral salary fodder guy.

Shump is done. He’s not even valuable as an expiring probably.

Why does Sacramento want to have expirings? or cap space? While still not being competitive yet?

So they can overpay another Randolph or Hill?

Again, if they are trying to get better why not take on a good rotation player who helps space the floor for Fox and probably Doncic?

Ryan was a very big part of Hardens growth as a facilitator and helped him with his PG skills because he was able to open up some room for harden to operate and survey.

That is valuable to a pair of young players that will need to learn to hone these abilities they possess.

I know we forget, but Anderson and Ego, really really really helped change the rockets and our locker room. Anderson really provided harden the space needed to get better as a facilitator rather than get bumbled up and not know what to do when constantly double teamed.

Most of that is credit to Harden who worked and learned, but Ryan helped in that regard. He also took us and our locker room from a complete mess to a very good team with a tight knit locker room. He helped restore our image and transition our locker room into what is probably the leagues best.

Who needs that type of chemistry and locker room presence more than Sacramento?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ryno + Capela + Ego + Filler + picks
    for
    LeBron + Love

Cleveland would be credible in the East and have some future foundation

I would do it.
    Cleveland should to start their rebuild with
    Ego - Capela - #8 pick and Nance

Capela/Nance/#8 Pic/Ego/??
    Could be credible

2 draft picks for Ryno contact has passed.
    That was for 3 yrs 60 mill
    not
    it is 2 yrs 40 mill

Rocket River

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

@BigMaloe yeah that's right, weren't the Kings asking for two 1st rounder, but the point is the same i'd say. Also keep in mind that the Kings still had Cousins when they tried to sign Ryan, they probably though he could be a decent fit at the time, and getting him was easier for them since he is from there, at this point i just don't see them having a particular reason to want him even though as today they don't have a 4 unless they draft one.

Anyway sure, 40M is better than 60M but it's still bad overall, and the fact that he's has been unplayable definitely doesn't help. I'd also argue that most of the times mediocre players actually elevate their game when they play in a great enviroment because they're supported by better players and system, that's why even guys like Looney, Gerald Green, James Jones to say a couple of random names are able to stay on the floor in the conference/nba finals, hell, even McGee is actually playing with the Warriors...when you are literally unplayable in a contender like Houston well, that's not good, there's a reason why Ryan has been benched by the same coach that probably indirectly forced Morey to give him this contract.

On the Suns i don't know who is willing to sign there, maybe no one, maybe someone, but having 20M in cap space > having Ryan Anderson, sorry. With that cap space they can offer a max to Capela or another player, that can turn out well or not, they can absorb other salary for better assets than what we have, they can sign a couple of role players to interesting contracts and trade them later...i mean, everyone of those options are still worth more than giving that money to Anderson, especially cause they have already and at least Warren, Chriss and Bender (which is pretty much a younger Anderson) to play in that spot, why would they want to bench one or two of these guys just to play Ryan Anderson? Like he's going to make them better overall...makes no sense to me.

As for the Kings well, you keep asking why they shouldn't want Ryan to help them space the floor and compete, i'm just going to say that i think Ryan ability to space the floor while being real, is also an overrated thing, and i think we got prove of that this season, other players can do that while playing better defense than him.
    Pretty sure that if we would've got a poll before we signed Ryan two years ago, like "who would you like to see sign with the Rockets between Ryan Anderson at 20M per year and PJ Tucker at 15M?", a lot of people (maybe even the majority) would've said Anderson.
    Anyway, the Kings maybe will draft a player who can exactly do that, maybe they'll try to throw 20M to Parker, Gordon or Randle, maybe they will trade for a random Marvin Williams...i think all those options are worth to try more than taking back Anderson. And those contracts btw are very flexible together, they can use them to take back a 6M contract, like a 15/20M one, and even an albatross like Blake if they want so, those can still help them getting someone who's better than Anderson. At worst they'll lower their salary by 25M next summer. Pretty sure there's not a single team out there that sees Ryan Anderson being a better option than 20M in cap space or in expiring salaries.

#36 Vivi, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  17. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

hell no he is unplayable against the warriors, because his lack of pick and roll defense

18. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

is this a joke? Cleveland would never do that

19. papoose115

papoose115 Member

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah, the Cavs have to be open to dealing him. His value can't be that high relative to the 2-yrs $50 mil left on his contract.

While i'm not the Kevin Love fan i was 4 years ago, i do think that his style of play is well suited to what the rockets do offensively. Not only can he space the floor and shoot the 3, he rebounds. He may be a liability defensively, but if he's the only defensive liability on the court, then it's not that big of an issue, given how much we switch. I really think that if we could find a way to move Anderson's deal off our books while taking back Kevin Love, it would be a big upgrade for our team.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but he might be the best available option for Houston at the 4-spot.

jch1911 likes this.