1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Big Van Vader

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 20, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

He terrified me as a kid. RIP

seclusion, DudeWah and justtxyank like this.
  3. body slam

body slam Member

one of the all time greats and one of my all time favorites

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Never heard of him. Dumb name. I hope he left his family well off with such a stupid name.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He starred in one of my favorite BMW episodes

DudeWah, mrm32 and justtxyank like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I LOVED him when I was a kid. I loved Star Wars and Darth Vader so thought Big Van Vader was awesome. I followed his career pretty closely growing up and he and Sting were my favorites. (WCW fan)

RIP big man.

DudeWah likes this.
  7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Him and Bam Bam Bigelow were some of the most agile big men in wrestling when I was growing up. Was a great monster heel during his WCW days, his WWF/WWE run wasn't that special but still performed at a very high level.

Sucks that he said 2 years ago that doctors told him he only had 2 years left, sadly he saw the writing on the wall

RIP

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Van Vader's helmet was pretty awesome back in the day.

[​IMG]

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I said to someone on Monday that of all that wrestling guys gone too soon, I'm surprised he wasn't one. Monday.

I feel bad about myself.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Vader is one of those wrestlers whose best days were largely behind him by the time he got his shot in the national promotions, and until I randomly dove down a Wikipedia wormhole on his career several months back, that really colored how I remembered him.

I mostly just remember his WWE (then WWF) days, when he had put on some extra weight, would only occasionally do something like go for the moonsault that would show flashes of what he once was, and his reputation as a stiff worker hurt his chances of getting any real push.

But if you go back further, he was basically a legend in Japan before even getting to WCW, and even during his time in WCW, he was an upper-card stalwart with some classic matches to his name.

11. duwende

duwende Member

From Will Friedle's (Eric Matthews) IG. It too was one of my favorite Boy Meets World Episodes

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Why did your fattybastard handle get banned?

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Because I'm an A-hole. FFB moniker has been banned here for years, but I would occasionally create new monikers to get back on and screw around. I guess Clutch either found the Roscoe Arbuckle name amusing enough or he felt I had served my time.