1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. prospecthugger

Heitor Tokar went 4.1 IP with 1 H 0 R 4Ks. In 8.1 IP this year he's now allowed 1H 1 BB with 5Ks. None of the top 17 year old pitchers the Astros signed who have played (Tokar, Lopez, and Cobos) have given up an earned run this year.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

It's a shame he doesn't throw harder. The FB movement, location and deception is there, the slider is there, his change is his new weapon this year, but the guy is a righty who really doesn't break 90.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.J. Matijevic is currently 2-3 with a two-run homer (5, 8 season) for Buies Creek.

Hector Perez: 6.2 IP, 2 H (solo HR allowed), 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 12 K

#1083 tellitlikeitis, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    crose likes this.
  4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So far Whitley has gone four scoreless, striking out 5, allowing 1 hit, walking none. I watched him pitch the 4th...he relied almost entirely on his fastball, didn't seem to trust his curve or change - threw one of each out of the zone. Fastball is totally dominant though. Struck out the side.

texans1095 and tellitlikeitis like this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. Buck Turgidson

Heard any updates on Yordan Alvarez?

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

No significant news on him as of late.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Josh Rojas hit a two-run homer (4, 5 season) and Alex De Goti hit two homers (5; solo and three-run) in Corpus Christi's 11-1 thrashing of Frisco. Rojas finished 3-5 on the night while the two homers represented both of De Goti's hits.

Randy César singled in his final at-bat to extend his hitting streak to 30 games.

9. Buck Turgidson

Did they ever really say what was wrong with him, other than "bad hand/elbow/arm thing"? I looked but never found much.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Doubt it. You and I probably know the same amount with regards to his injury.

11. dwood21

dwood21 Member

I’m trying to temper my expectations on Whitley, but if he keeps utterly dominating the competition every time he goes out there, it’s hard not to get very excited about what he can bring to the Astros in a postseason run this year and, of course, beyond.

His success comes at the perfect time too because it gives us all the leverage with Keuchel this offseason.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

His performance is encouraging, as he represents a new core piece and will certainly be a part of the rotation next season. I have no problem at all counting on replacing Keuchel with Whitley next season. I just wish Martes or another high ceiling pitcher in the upper minors would make a claim to Morton’s spot (although I don’t see any reason why Morton couldn’t be resigned).

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jairo Lopez allowed a hit and struck out five over three scoreless innings in the Dominican.

It was already stated earlier, but he was one of seven kids who got $300,000 in the previous IFA signing period. This is what Ben Badler of Baseball America wrote about Lopez in the Astros' international review:

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Oh hell no on a minor league guy replacing Charlie next year. He is a part of the core and needs to be signed again.

I hope some of the other prospect arms get rolling and become contributors. Let’s pump the brakes on letting Charlie go though

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jake Adams has two two-run homers for Buies Creek tonight, his first two in the Carolina League.

Adams now has 10 home runs between both A clubs this season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. HTown2017Champs

Any ideas on when Myles Straw may get promoted to AAA? He could be useful as a 4th OF/pinch runner later in the season/postseason.

texans1095 likes this.
  17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Patrick Sandoval @ Peoria: 5 IP, 3 H, 7 K

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

White, Reed, Davis, and Fisher are all killing it in AAA. If I were a team in need of a long term bat I’d definitely be checking the price on them. It makes sense for Houston to keep 1 or 2 of those guys for another season or 2 but if they got offered a huge ceiling complex league guy for one of those 4 they should take it.

texans1095 and jim1961 like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Until something happens with Tucker, Ferguson, or Fisher, I doubt Straw will be promoted. They’re not going to move him up unless he will be able to play everyday without lessening another important prospects time. Could happen at the deadline, but for now my prediction is that he will be in AA for the rest of this season.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Really hope Reed gets another shot. Sick of Jake getting ABs at this point. Would like to see White up as well, but prefer Reed comes up first.

bigdaddy, HTown2017Champs and crose like this.