1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Red Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 31, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was going to say something similar... having not watched the game live, I saw the angst in here and fully expected to see him hit hard, often, and basically luck his way to a save.

I guess everybody is upset with the first walk of the year? Or him going from striking guys out on 3-4 pitches to having to go to full counts?

We all know he's a head-case... that much is proven when you're actually better in save situations than not. But he's "our" head-case... and the good Giles is still plenty good enough to save games, and fortunately (or unfortunately) remains the only guy who can consistently get 3 outs in the 9th in close games on this team.

raining threes likes this.
  2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Has nothing to do with series talk but found this pretty funny and not very surprising lol.

conquistador#11 and Houstunna like this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Look, Giles sucks. He regularly misses his location by feet, not inches. When he lets the ball go, he has no clue where it will end up. I suppose one might say he isn’t wildly effective. Whatever. His command is garbage. He is like a hitter with unsustainably high BABIP - you know it’s a big illusion.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Glad we won, but should've been a BlowOut.

Sorry ass BOS starter and we only score 4.. with better starters incoming ?!!

Series seems like a SPLIT.. but I will eat crow.

We could use better than a split considering recent mishaps.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He's OUR headcase for sure. Probably the most polarizing player on the team.

While his April/March numbers are solid, in May, he has given 14 hits in 8 IP with a 7.88 ERA. Their is no way to spin this as anything but bad.

So he has had 1 good month and 1 bad one. I suppose his legacy will be determined by which Giles shows up the rest of the season. April Giles or May Giles.

everyday eddie, Kim and RunninRaven like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Yankees game (tie game, back-to-back). The Indians game (getting work in game, 17 pitch first batter AB).

Actually, expecting him to continue to be perfect in save situations is not a realistic expectation.... but he still remains far better in those specific situations vs any other scenario. Luckily enough, he's being paid to perform in those specific situations... and that's what his brain is wired to excel at.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In 10 May appearances, we went on to win 8 (no ER) and lost 2 (7 ER). Using May as a model, he was effective 80% of the time. March /April was about the same if the criteria is not giving up earned runs.

So, is 80% good in this context?

Or should it be looked at as a 20% chance we lose if he appears?

I would guess that much of the divisiveness is about his demeanor. We like a level headed, tough minded and well grounded guy to close games. Giles just isn't that.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would think the criteria for Giles is finishing a game we win, or holding the score if he's not trying to close. He has done his job in 18 of his 21 appearances. 10/10 in saves, 4/5 finishes, 4/6 holding the line. Granted 2 of his failures have been majestic in nature.

After his nuclear meltdown last year nobody can say with honesty they feel comfortable with him finishing games in October, but I can say I feel more comfortable with him in save situations right now than I do with anybody else on the team.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

JR Smith is the biggest POS in sports, nobody should ever feel bad for him.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me, id add Devo to this conversation, despite a meltdown of his own recently.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Zach Britton Closer for the Orioles made his debut in A ball striking out the side, after coming back from Achilles surgery

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You know he's walked one batter this entire season, first time last night right?

Scottay and No Worries like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

14. SemisolidSnake

I'm concerned at how inconsistent Giles' windup was last night. Sometimes he just sort of came to partial stop on the rubber and launched into a pitch without coming fully set. Other times, he'd come set and do a proper delivery. Like a basketball player changing up his free throw routine between shots. It may work out, but it's probably not good for consistency.

Maybe it was nerves or something else leading to that. I don't think it really matters. I wish Verlander could chat with him. Justin's obviously got liquid nitrogen in his veins, anyway, but even if he didn't, he's completely rigorous about always using the same basic routine and mechanics for each pitch, and that's got to go a huge way towards keeping his consistency regardless of situation.

15. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

I hear what you're saying about the importance of a consistent delivery (and I didn't catch the game last night), both in terms of getting good results and avoiding injury. But pitchers do often alter the timing of their delivery to throw another wrinkle at the batter. Kershaw is a guy with a funky delivery that he can slightly mix up at times, and I think Cueto is a master at it. Not sure if this is Giles' plan, though.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Giles is basically a 9th inning innings-eater until the postseason, where, he'll be given two chances to succeed. If he fails, Astros will make due maybe better than last year since the rotation is better. An upgrade is welcomed, but Giles is good enough for regular season saves.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you really want to break it down like that, he was effective 100% of the time in save situations.

To me, the Giles connundrum is far simpler than some of you make it out to be. It also helps if you're not actively rooting for him to fail (which some here admittedly are).

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Devo has had more meltdowns (% wise) in save situations than Giles has had. Playoffs included.

#98 Nick, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Walks are missing outside the zone. he misses inside the zone plenty. Rematch yesterdays performance and see how many pitches he threw that were in the heart of the strike zone. sure, sometimes the hitter takes he pitch, or swings and misses, or hits it to a defender. those are what happens after the lousy pitch is thrown. Ken Giles is not a good pitcher.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Giles is 10 for 10 in saves. Everyone else combined has also had 10 save opportunities...3 saves and 7 blown saves.