1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George high on Rockets FA list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 30, 2018.

1. TheSource

TheSource Member

Whether we get PG or not I think he’s a better fit than Lebron .... just saying

dkim1984, Jayzers_100 and killahflip like this.
  2. macan

macan Member

Gordon + Ryno + pick + cash for PG + Melo
    Capela + Luc + pick for Lebron
    we'll have our all US dream team, a bit old tho

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think what CP3 did last year shocked a lot of people because he left a ton of money to come here via Opt-in trade. But he’s older and starved for a ring.

Paul would have to do the same, leave a ton a money to opt-in and trade. Given the rumors of him wanting the lakers during a time when the lakers have no clear line of sight to compete says he’s probably not as hungry as CP3 and likely not as willing to foregoe that money.

That’s just my reasoning as to why the PG13 scenario gets poopoo’d more quickly

4. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

Hard to see the Thunder playing with the Rockets... looking at the ' don't-lose-him-for-nothing' scenario... personally I'd let George walk before taking RA's contract and second round picks...

LeBron a better bet to happen... not that I want that to happen....

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

WOW.. Neither one of your trades work with the salary cap my friend. The rockets would have to send out nearly 90 million dollars in contracts to get those three players.

macan likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

except the scenario for getting Paul George does not include giving them Ryno and 2nd round picks because that’s fantasy, so I’m not sure why u even brought that up...

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Get back to me, when you start a Big 3 under 25 yr. olds.

I'd like to talk about the stars of the future.

macan likes this.
  8. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

huh?? Paul George is a free agent is he not?

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fair. My perspective...

1.) It's really not a lot in the grand scheme. Considering taxes, it's probably what -- $7 million in 1 season, for a guy poised to make well over $100M in his next contract? On a career percentage basis, it's pretty small (and should he stay in Texas, he'd probably recoup the whole thing eventually due to tax savings.) And since George is 28, it was actually more of a risk for CP3 last summer, since he was deferring his max payday to when he'd be 33. There's pretty much no scenario where a 29-year-old PG wouldn't be a max player, and I think the summer of 2019 actually has more teams with cap room.

2.) Maybe the rumors are accurate, but I'm skeptical about the Lakers stuff. How many years now have we heard that the Lakers are poised to get [insert max FA here]? It's the league's biggest fan base in its top market, and any rumor gets blown out of proportion. At this point, it's sort of a "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me" thing, for me. He's got LA roots, but so do lots of players (James and Chris included). I do think all things being equal, he'd love to play in LA... but if there's no other legit star willing to take that second max slot, I'd be surprised if he goes there solo with what amounts to a comparable Laker team to last year. Personally, I think staying in OKC is more likely than PG going to the Lakers without LeBron. We'll see...

Matt78777, Vivi and Hard_foul like this.
  10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Not a Lebron that wants to play off-ball.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Can someone explain how he is a perfect fit?

Clearly he also likes to dribble the ball a lot, he excelled when melo was not in the game because of that. He says he has something mechanically weird with his shot here and again where he bricks like nobody’s business....and he wants quite a bit of money....

Why not just get rid of Anderson at all costs and get better shooters and playmakers who are cheaper?

eric.81 likes this.
  12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

In what way? I'm hoping you mean due to the media circus that follows Lebron, or the extra cap space he would take up, because surely you don't think PG13 would be better for basketball reasons. Lebron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PG. Just as a thought experiment, imagine trading Lebron for PG on this Cavs roster. Do you still see them in the finals? Just look at their postseason stats from this year: PG - 24 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 steals. Lebron (in many more games) : 34 points, 9 assists, 9 rebounds, 1.3 steals. Lebron is also more versatile on defense. Paul George is 6'9 and 220 pounds. Lebron is 6'9 and 250...so basically Clint Capela's size.

13. The Cat

I feel like a broken record at this point, so I'm going to put it out there in bold and all caps (it's not just you saying this):

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MOVE RYAN ANDERSON TO TRADE FOR PAUL GEORGE. That's actually what might make it more realistic than the LeBron scenario. That said, you're right that there are questions on whether Presti would play ball with Morey.

Deuce and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

My only response to that is what would happen with Anderson? It’s a MUST we move him.

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

well he's 1) one of NBA's top defenders as he made all nba defensive team 3 times and 2) shot over 40% from 3pt line this season so there's that for starters.

your comment about "dribble the ball a lot." reminder everyone said the same thing when we signed CP3 and look how that turned out. in the end, it's mostly up to the players to want to make it work. i'm sure they (Harden and CP3) can figure out how to get George to play off the ball more.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

From a numbers perspective, how does our remaining salary cap space look if the following occurs?

S&T: Gordon/Anderson/Picks for George
    Sign Long-Term: CP3
    Sign Long-Term: Capela
    Let Go: Ariza
    Let Go: Luc
    Sign Long-Term: Gerald Green

Whats the room look like for Bron now? Is there even any cap space?

#56 tc0330, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I would much prefer George over Lebron. George is ringless, just like Paul and Harden....I want these guys to shine together. I would feel sick if we added Lebron

18. The Cat

Is it, though?

Let's say you hypothetically trade Gordon/Nene for Paul George. Even if you could theoretically amnesty Anderson, it still wouldn't give you even a penny more from the standpoint of cap room to improve your roster.

That said, I do understand practicality, and the fact that Fertitta probably doesn't want to pay all that tax money for a player who isn't going to play. But ultimately, it's not our money... and it's not like there's any basketball reason you'd need to move him.

(If required, I think the ticket to moving Anderson is the 2019 and 2021 1sts, regardless. But in a perfect world, Fertitta would pay the tax so that you wouldn't have to surrender any future assets.)

justtxyank likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

At worst they could "stretch" Anderson just to reduce the LT bill. But, knowing Morey I think he would hate to have that dead money on the books years from now. Likely, Morey would try to find a team with contracts that end in 2019. e.g. Anderson+1st for Chandler/Dudley.

Vivi and The Cat like this.
  20. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

The former is definitely possible since they want to get rid of melo much more that we do with Ryno

macan likes this.