1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want Matt Bullard back...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haven, Apr 5, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

Let's assume: Cwebb will be a knick next year.

Given that, what should the Rockets do?

1. Resign Bullard, Mo Tay, and Anderson (if he'll come cheap and sit on the bench).

Believe it or not, Bullard has been an extremely valuable role player this year. He's won a few games for us with is sweet shot from the 3 pt line. I hope he ends his career with us.

2. Sign Marc Jackson.

The Rockets greatest problem this year was their lack of a C after Hakeem. Marc Jackson provides some toughness in the middle. If we get Jackson, we make the playoffs next year (if we get Mo back, too).

3. Get a SF who can score.

I love Anderson's D, but we need another person who CAN score in the lineup. Nobody too demanding, as Stevie and Cat should remain the focus. Richard Jefferson? Shane Battier? A trade for Ruben Patterson? Athletic with the ability to score. That's what we need.

4. A shooter

Bullard is nice, but we need reinforcements there as Bullard's getting a bit old. I want Williams gone, but before we do that, we need someone who can hit 3's when Francis and Mobley penetrate. If we get Battier, he might take care of this. But if not... someone else. Any ideas?

We need roleplayers. Webber's a nice dreamcast, but we need guys who can support Francis and Mobley. Face it, the problem with them towards the end of the year was burnout, plain and simple. They needed to be able to have off-nights and have someone step up more than what happened this year. If we can get 2 quality roleplayers, I think we'll be almost as well off as if we got Webber.

So, who all should we pursue?

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dan Langhi takes care of your #3 and 4. I'd still rather draft another position (big men) and see what Langhi can do than add someone else at his (and Shandon's) position. Plus, he's already signed. Also, I've heard nothing to indicate that Marc Jackson plays good defense. I brought up in another thread that we might ought to look at Foyle (6.6 boards, 2.7 blocks in 24 min/game) or Dampier ahead of Jackson. I have no idea about their availability, but the Warriors do have Fortson, Foyle, Dampier, and Jackson all on the roster, in addition to Jamison.

3. haven

haven Member

Dampier's a possibility, but Foyle has the worst hand's I've ever seen on a basketball player. And yes, that includes Kelvin Cato. He *can't* catcha ball. While we don't need a scoring machine, I think he should be able to post up every now and then, and Foyle can't do that.

ANd you're right about Marc Jackson. I don't know if he has great defense either. But at least it's not reputed to be notoriously bad [​IMG].

I'm simply not convinced that Dan Langhi will ever be an answer at SF. I mean, there's not a lot of evidence, so it's hard to make a case either way... but the fact that he's played so little is a bit frightening.

Even if he'll work out as a shooter, I highly doubt he'll be ready next year.

As for drafting a big man, I've become a bit skeptical about that after recent drafts. It almost seems completely random as to them working out... and there seem to be relatively decent guys available for acquiring... like the guys on Golden State you mentioned, Brad Miller, etc. If we do draft a big guy, I'd like to trade for someone like Patterson. The Rockets really need more (productive) athleticisim in their front court.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would like to see Bullard back, as long as his contract stipulates that for no reason is he made to play center.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons Bullard see so much playing time is that Shandon and Cat can't stretch the D with their Js.

This offseason, the Rocks need via draft or FA a big body that can rebound and play respectable D (if Collier is not the answer) and a 2/3 who has 3 point range.

------------------

5. StanDMan

StanDMan Member

It's no surprise, but I agree that I would like to see Bullard back next year. He is a valuable role player that is content with his role. You can always use a good 3 pt shooter.

------------------
    Matt Bullard Fan Club
    www.AirBullard.com

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Whatever it is that you're smoking, I want some!

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Actually, the jury may be out on Langhi given how little he's done this year, but based on his college career, Langhi is a scorer and athletic. I forget who, but someone was quoted awhile back as saying Langhi was one of the most athletic guys on the team, second to Francis. You can see that in what few minutes he gets. And the guy was a prolific scorer in college. Obviously, the NBA games is different, but there's good reason to think he can turn it up some in time.

Personally, I still feel Langhi has the potential to be an ideal starting SF, someone who can hit the open 3, drive in occasionally, play solid team and one-on-one defense, rebound a bit, and finish.

------------------

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I like bullard, but he is a defense LIABILITLY!! When we put him in, their fowards toast us! I love to see him rain 3 downs, but on the other end, they push him around like he is a little boy. I play better defense than he does.

------------------
    Nice guys finish last ... and im surely not going to finish last!

9. Peakin' Tacoz

Peakin' Tacoz Member

Pass the bong!!!

------------------
    dude.. I'm peakin' tacoz!

10. Peakin' Tacoz

Peakin' Tacoz Member

I love you Langhi.. !!

------------------
    dude.. I'm peakin' tacoz!

11. Band Geek Mobster

The problem with Dampier is he's one of those players that's always injured. He's only played in 56 games in the last 2 seasons.

Honestly I don't want Jackson. We already have a backup C that has an outside shot that isn't that good at D or on the boards. His names Jason Collier.

We need a REAL frontcourt player. All of our frontcourt guys are finesse players with outside shots. It's not bad to have big men with nice shots, but it is bad to not have someone that can muscle up with the more powerful players in the league.

I'm pretty sure Rudy and CD will spend the offseason hunting down guys that play solid D b/c they know our defense sucks and they know you need D to win championships.

------------------

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

From what I've seen of Lanky this season, he is intimidated. He can't shoot the ball 10 times without 6-7 of them being airballs, he can't play solid defense and the only rebounds he gets are when he is going up against a guard. Maybe if he put 30lbs on that Shawn Bradley type of frame he COULD be a contender, but there is a reason he didn't get much time this season and it is not because he is raw. He simply sucks. IMO Rudy and CD dropped the ball when they selected him.

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.