1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. BackdoorHarden

Suns tried to sign LaMarcus Aldridge, guess they will max Clint since they don't have any contracts other than dead weight losers of $13 million each to Chandler and Knight

2. BackdoorHarden

The Kings would be another team that would give Clint the max.

I mean, they gave a lot of money to George Hill and Zach for some reason

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So theoretically, could you sign someone like LeBron with a lower first year to fit under the hard cap if we did a ST that ballooned the next year? And then match Cp and cC and fill the rest with vets. Or would that scenario not fall within the CbA?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a Nopa. You seem to be hunting for a loophole. :) The CBA doesn't have a loophole to make getting Lebron easily.

We won't be able to balloon a GSW/Nick Young mini-MLE contract for Lebron. They will be limited to 5% raises. Balloon payments are not allowed in the NBA, except under the Gilbert Arenas provision protecting incumbent teams matching their RFAs (see spoiler), which obviously doesn't apply to Lebron.

I'm not sure if BimaThug is in this thread. If he isn't, probably because he believes he's already said enough. Here's his take in February about getting Lebron:

What he's saying here, imo, is that he could describe theoretical ways to purge enough salary to sign Lebron under the cap, but it is so silly, he's not going to bother mentioning them, vs an opt-in and trade scenario, which is still "UNLIKELY". He's certainly not saying there are loopholes to sign Lebron above the cap, discounting the scenario where Lebron signs for pennies, by signing for mini exceptions for 3yrs, until he reaches Full Larry Bird status, again.

When comparing the NBA cap rules to other leagues, I explain it has not allowing balloon payments, ie having strict raise limits.

The Gilbert Arenas provision does have balloon payments, kinda. This was a compromise between teams and the union to help incumbent teams match their RFA players who don't yet have full Larry Bird rights, yet appease the Union by still allowing the player to get paid (by teams with capspace) above the incumbents team's non-Bird and Early Bird exception levels. Before the provision, any team with enough cap room could outbid the incumbent team, if the incumbent team didn't have cap room. The old way allowed Arenas to get a max contract, but he had to switch teams to get it.

Enter the compromise to keep your RFAs who don't have Full Bird rights: Teams are restricted to payments in the 1st and 2nd year of an offer sheet (equal to the full MLE), but are allowed to max out the player for 3rd and 4th year (the "balloon"/"Poison Pill" payments) They are also restricted to having to fit the average payment under the cap.

So, I wouldn't really call those balloon payments, but rather the exact opposite, restriction limits on the 1st and 2nd payments.

Kevooooo likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Am I reading this right?

7. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Aren't suns planning on drafting Ayton??

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Seems like they want Ayton or Doncic so, if they don't get the 1st pick (Ayton) they'll probably draft Doncic and go after a center in free agency.

If you read Harden (and Rondo) between the lines yes :D

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Non story. Obvious match

10. trugoy

trugoy Member

There's a major flaw in your reasoning in that you think the standard in contracts should be to allocate up to the salary cap and expect 60 wins.

In reality, if you exclude tanking teams, all teams that are trying to win are either, just below the luxury tax, or over it. And the average win total is 41 wins. Which means Harden is close to 50million value.

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

He just bought the team for over 2 billion. And when he bought the team he already knew what the salary situation would be in the next few years.

So you are saying that he paid 2.2 billion for a team, knowing that a year later, he will break up the core to save around 50 million?

MICHAEL W LAND and luckyman76 like this.
  12. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

I agree with mostly what you said but in all fairness, he/no one would had anticipated how good Capela was going to be this season and that he would get a max offer.

13. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is a multi-billion dollar deal. There is a 0% chance that he did not know the projection of next year's salaries/revenues or what Morey's plans were for the team going forward AT LEAST 5 YEARS. This includes adding LBJ or some other big ticket acquisition. Capela was a known RFA with a high market cap so making a few million more per year than projected was not going to kill that deal. Les had the perfect buy low/sell high opportunity at his disposal before incurring huge costs. He sold this at the time to be able to provide the buyer with the ability to significantly increase the value of the franchise to offset the upcoming huge investment required. It is 100% in Tilman's interest to win championships and get LBJ because that might increase the franchise value beyond $3B. Revenues, debt structure, cost of capital, everything improve with an appreciating asset. Owners don't just benefit off of the value of the franchise when they sell. The increased cost in comparison is miniscule. The team was going to be paying at least $130-140M just to stay where they were at.

bumbum09 and adw like this.
  14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Now that they have the 1st pick, if they keep it and draft Ayton that would mean they skip on going FA. Otherwise if they trade down to upgrade a PG then they’ll likely try to snatch Capela.

I think they should draft Ayton and back the brinks truck up and get IT :D

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is worth it pay the man his money !

DD

16. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

no way capela signs with the sun's he loves Houston way too much

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Supposedly one of the two but I don't believe they will draft Ayton at #1.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Draft is June 21st.......free agency after (July 1st)

Stupid for Suns to pass on Ayton.......then get matched by Houston. End up with neither.

Non story. Fake news.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grain. Salt. TBD.

DeAndre Ayton said he knows he is going No. 1 in the NBA Draft this month. Ayton added that the Suns did not tell him that he is going No. 1, but he just knows he will be the first player off the board. He is not going to work out for any other team after his workout in Phoenix today, and he got to know the Suns players today. General manager Ryan McDonough said Ayton was impressive in his 1-on-0 workout and was making "shot after shot" in different game simulations. For now, the University of Arizona product is likely staying close to where he's been working out this summer.

Deandre Ayton Has No Other Workouts Scheduled, Knows He's Going To Suns At No. 1

Deandre Ayton worked out for the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday.

Ayton revealed that he has no other workouts planned with other teams.

“I’m the best competitor in this draft. I’m not saying I’m the best player, I’m saying I’m the best competitor. This is my one and only workout. I know I’m going No. 1,” said Ayton.

Ryan McDonough was asked about Ayton clearly wanting to join the Suns.

“It’s great. We take that as a compliment. He has a lot of strong ties to this area.”

Vivi likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I wonder how many other teams plan on making Capela a sizable offer