1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Will Be the Main Reasons for the Rockets to Defeat the Warriors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, May 11, 2018.

?

What Are the Main Reasons for the Rockets to Defeat the Warriors?

Poll closed May 14, 2018.
  1. Stephe Curry's defense exposed as the weakest link for Warriors

19.1%
  2. Rockets 48 minutes of elite point guard play

34.5%
  3. Capela's elite rim protection

32.7%
  4. Rockets' elite perimeter defense

26.4%
  5. Rockets have much fewer turn overs than Warriors

37.3%
  6. Rockets finally hitting their threes

50.9%
  7. James Harden plays as MVP

45.5%
  8. Chris Paul plays as POINT GOD

29.1%
  9. Others

6.4%
  10. Role players stepping up

39.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Clint Capela.

Limit turnovers.

Harden plays well.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Capella is going to destroy Draymond and CP3 and Harden are going destroy Curry and his gimpy knee and ankles in ISO.

Hakeemtheking, Roc Paint and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We are deadly when role players step up and hit 3s.
    Gordon
    Ariza
    Luc
    Tucker
    Green

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Top 4 things are Defense, including perimeter and interior (Capela), three point shooting and limiting turnovers. They are a more efficient shooting team so we need to make sure we always have more shots than them.

5. McLovins

McLovins Member

Eric Gordon must outplay thompson in the box score
    Harden only allowed to have 1 bad night
    Ariza, Luc or Green (one of these guys has to have a good night in every game

If two out of these three happen, the Rockets will win

bj3175, Lawlruschang and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The only ones I didn't vote for were Curry's defense and Others. I think every one of the rest are very important. If I had to pick a few, it would be the team hitting their 3's, Harden and Paul playing at the elite level they are capable of, and the role players stepping up.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

All the Rockets need to keep coming out hot and ready to play. We have a real big advantage over them and that is fresh bodies that can play. Force them to continue to play their starters. Eventually the Warriors will all be mentally and physically fried like the Clippers in game 6 that year. If the series gets stretched out longer the more I like our chances... they are going to try to finish us off as quickly as possible. They just don't have the bodies.

bj3175, Lawlruschang and DwangBoy like this.
  8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Playoff nook

Game7 likes this.
  9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Must make Curry work on defense! Cannot let him get too comfortable hiding on Ariza.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

ISO Joe is D'Antoni's secret weapon. I hope to see him and Green play some effective minutes against Warrior's weakened bench!:eek:

Lawlruschang likes this.
  11. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Agreed, media is totally underrating the Rockets. The fact is, the Warriors have looked fantastically good beating highly inferior teams. San Antonio sucked really bad due to old age and lack of talent. New Orleans, was decent but was never as good as their sweep of Portland suggested. It just turned out to be a really bad matchup as Holliday totally shut down Dame and AD went nuts against Portland’s relatively weak front court. Rockets beat the crap out of a T Wolves team that actually has a lot of talent and should have been a 50 plus win team. The most astonishing aspect of the Rockets’ dominance in that series was that the Rockets only played lights out for one quarter. Think about that? Moreover, Utah who went 29-6 to finish off their season showed that they are a smart and talented team. They are well coached and play very well with each other. They move the ball on offense, and with amazing rim protection and team defense, they are very scrappy. They really execute and get after the opposition. Yet they got destroyed by a Rockets team who other than two games, looked asleep. The bottomline is that the Rockets have not played great. They have truly seemed bored at times, yet steam rolled two quality teams. The Warriors, on the other hand, have played have played excellent in steamrolling teams that are deficient in talent and quality. In other words they have done what they are expected to do. So what does that really say? To me, at least, and I say this not as a Rockets fan but from an objective perspective that the Warriors might totally get obliterated. Unlike prior years, the Warriors dont have the bench play they used to, defensively have lost a step, and for the first time since their run of excellence began, are opening the series on the road to a team that the data suggests could have won over 70 games if not for injuries. Yet the media is still enamoured with the Warriors. Why? My hunch is that Steph is a media darling and despite the fact that Durant made a b*** move and Green is a jackass (looks like one and figuratively behaves like one) the rest of his clan can do no wrong and can turn it on anytime they want. The media might turn out to be right, but again, the numbers do not back up the narrative that the Warriors will destroy the Rockets. I wouldnt be suprised if this series turns out like the finals when the Pistons played the Lakers in the 2004 finals. The Lakers had 4 hall of famers plus Fish but were obliterated by a deeper more defensively sound team. In concludion, The Warriors may be in for a rude awakening which would be to all of our delight. Rant concluded.

#31 Elephant810, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    arubato, Lawlruschang and Slim like this.
  12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Also want to say the media is enamoured w them due to their unwordly star power. Yet we have seen many teams that are top heavy but weak and light every where else, get knocked off, often in spectacular fashion by deeper teams...

Lawlruschang likes this.
  13. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

bias aside, I think you are spitting a lot of truth in your post, I have spent a LOT of time thinking about this series, looking at numbers, and your thoughts mirror mine very closely. I think ultimately the reason why nobody can come out and say the Rockets are favorites or neck and neck is that the data to make either claim doesn't and can't exist. The rockets have destroyed every team in the league and beaten GS both games when healthy, of course we all know that isn't enough to actually prove they are going to win the championship because 1. regular season does not perfectly correlate to playoffs and 2. we are going against a top 0.1% team in NBA history. But all the evidence actually does suggest that we are just as good as the warriors have been in past regular seasons. One advantage we have is that our team is much MUCH hungrier. Don't need to go into what this means individually to Paul, Harden, and the other players, but simply the fact that the warriors have been worshipped and put on a pedestal by the media means that a series win would actually be more meaningful than some years' championships, perhaps the greatest feat in NBA history.

If we get it done and Harden plays well, which he would need to in order to win, I think he unquestionably surpasses both Curry and KD, deserves serious consideration for top 10 all time or at least very close to it.

Elephant810 likes this.
  14. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Morey' mouth. When he talks we start to lose and get hurt. Every time.

15. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Curry needs to be roasted like BBQ chicken on every single Rockets offensive possession. Similar to what the Rox did to Kanter last year. Be disciplined. Rinse and repeat.

Make no mistake, GS feeds off Curry. When he starts hitting those BS threes, they start to get loose and dominate. Make him feel like it's 2016.

The elegance of the Rockets playbook is that they have two All time NBA guards who executes switch mismatches for high percentage plays. Rockets must make plays and shots.

16. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Capela being able to switch and offensive rebound, Harden being able to get to the rim and draw fouls, Ariza/Tucker/LMAM shooting hot from 3pt, peak Eric Gordon. Not worried about CP3 too much.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

One thing I don't want to see happen are those damn GS third quarter destructions they do.

Oh you're down only 3 at half? Great. Let me go on a 20-0 run and the game is over.

Can't have that at all. Have to be relentless and push the warriors into an uncomfortable situation. Not the other way around.

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Very good points but as amazing as it would be to dethrone the Warriors, Im not so sure such a feat should garner Harden top 10 all time consideration. Yes, he has been one of the greatest offensive players ever, especially since the 2015 season began, but he would need to do it a few more times after this season. If he gets two or three rings in the same dominant fashion, then without question he would be top ten all time but for this season alone he would be a sure bet for top 20 to 30 player all time which is wildly elite in and of itself...

19. kanggang

kanggang Member

Fair refs and i like our chances

Voltik likes this.