1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Game Winning Buzzer-Beaters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Mar 31, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Regular Season

17-18 - Gerald Green fade-away 3 pointer vs. Suns

17-18 - Eric Gordon 3 pointer @ 76ers

14-15 - Harden step back 2 @ Suns

*00-01 - Moochie 3 point bank shot heave

95-96 - Olajuwon tip shot vs. Mavs

95-96 - Cassell 3 point bank shot @ Mavs

94-95 - Drexler 3 point bank shot (heave) @ Nuggets

93-94 - Maxwell sideways fade-away 2 pointer @ Spurs (22-1)

91-92 - Olajuwon catch and shoot, jumping off 2 legs fadeaway rainbow 2 pointer vs. Warriors

Playoffs

97 WCF GM4 - Eddie Johnson 3 pointer vs. Jazz

86 WCF GM5 - Sampson tip shot turnaround shot @ Lakers

*added after OP

These 10 are the ones I know of and or have found on the internet. There's footage of all of these, but posting links would make this thread look like a cluster****. If you want a link to a specific, request it and I'll gladly post it. Awesome that Gerald Green is part of this list!

Anymore that you guys have personally seen on TV or in real life or just know of? There must have been at least one in the Francis / Yao / T-Mac / Lowry era right?

I am surprised there are so few, but there are plenty that end with like 1 second to go like the 94-95 Maxwell shot vs. Warriors, T-Mac's game winner (13 in 33) vs. Spurs, 95 Finals Olajuwon tip-in. Novak in 2008 during the streak etc.

For me that 22-1 game winner by Maxwell is up there due to the game he was having, the 22-1 streak, how that game was called, how tough the shot was and the celebration afterwards was the icing on the cake.

With the kind of game we were having last night, the celebration and it being Gerald Green - his story and love for Houston - made this a very special one too. If we win the championship, it will be up there with the most special moments of the season.

The 97 one by EJ is the most memorable one for me since his celebration was part of NBA commercials when I started watching NBA more often, but since we lost that series it somehow has less impact in hindsight. The 86 one is probably the most impactful one for our franchise, but that was before my time.

The Drexler one was just amazing that it was off the glass, but also how Calvin called it before it happened. Cassell's off the glass was also very cool and came off a broken play.

The 91-92 fade-away shot by Dream was just crazy. It was an out-of-bounds play, he caught it at the top of the key, jumped off both feet, turned in the air and made a rainbow shot that was all net. I think this would've been my favourite had it been more impactful. It was like Sampson's with more time.

Any stories of guys here in attendance, your personal favorites, something you remember from watching the (post) game, what was said by national TV analysts, the papers etc. Please share :)

#1 OTMax, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Harden had one against the spurs. Can’t remember which season but I remember the shot

Found it

Also you missing the Troy Daniels GW against the Trail Blazers and hardens GW against GSW

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Those poor Cat, Francis and Moochie years getting no respect.

Cat had one his rookie year. Pretty sure it was his first game vs the Warriors.

Moochie had at least one, too.

MOOOOOOCHIE!!!!
    Moochie Norris banks 35-foot buzzer beater to beat Warriors 98-95

#3 heypartner, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    RocketWalta likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

You have a bunch from Francis and Mobley era, particularly by moochie Norris

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

All of them are not buzzer beaters ;)

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Instead of being an ass you can just appreciate the effort, look them up yourself and add if you are 100% sure like with the last one ;) I’ll add it.

7. heypartner

Being an ass? Now I'm going to leave the bbs because ... your mean.

Hey, I did provide a link to Moochie's. And named the year for Cuttino's, and added the game. Aren't you being a wee bit overly-sensitive again?

REEKO_HTOWN and OTMax like this.
  8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Green's shot was the only game-winning buzzer beater I've ever seen in person. Amazing how few the Rockets have had at either The Summit(Compaq Center) or Toyota Center in the history of their franchise. Almost all of them have come with at least a second or two left on the clock. Like this one by Mad Max in 1994:

I "almost" saw the Eddie Johnson game winner in 1997. I was at Game 3. He hit that famous shot in Game 4.:D

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

You said I disrespected the Francis years, but I clearly stated in OP these are the ones I know of. It's like you only came in to point out what I missed and gave some examples for me to look up. Yes, I acknowledged that and gave it as an example of a positive contribution to the thread :) I might be a bit, people are going nuts lately haha so my bad if I mistook your post, but some people would post it with the intention of how I just explained it ;)

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I guess Houston Rockets game winners with a fraction of a second left isn't as impressive/memorable

or just strait up game winners

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

James Harden had this goal tend game winner against the Suns too. Technically a buzzer beater.
    Man Rockets have a lot of game winners against the Suns when you think about it. Mario Ellie cursed them.

12. heypartner

@OTMax It's all good. I always like these threads. I'm just the bbs's biggest Cuttino fan...starting with that first game, game winner.

So far, I can't find it, but wanted to jump in with what I found.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I remember Dream hitting one in the late 80's on a baseline turnaround jumper over Brad Daugherty but I just found it and there was one second left still.

-----

Akeem Olajuwon demonstrated Tuesday night why he is among...

By RICHARD LUNA, UPI Sports Writer
    Dec. 7, 1988

HOUSTON -- Akeem Olajuwon demonstrated Tuesday night why he is among the premier players in the NBA.

Olajuwon sank a 12-foot baseline jumper with 1 second left, lifting the Houston Rockets to a 106-105 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers, averting what would have been an embarrassing defeat.

'There was no time to waste,' said Olajuwon, who finished with a game-high 30 points and 15 rebounds. 'I just shot the ball when I got it. Yes, I wanted the ball. This is a game we were supposed to win the way we played. It would have been a painful loss with the big lead.'

More... https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/1...-Tuesday-night-why-he-is-among/4371597474000/

14. heypartner

Here's another Moochie, with mention by Clutch how he's done it more than once. Still can't find Cat's first game in 1999. Come on '99ers, help me out.

MOOCH AT THE BUZZER!

OTMax likes this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

16. heypartner

Here's mention of Cat's first game. Solomon mistakenly calls it his second game.

Mobley made himself fan favorite

"Starting with making a game-winning jumper in his second game, he did make a name for himself, despite not being the first player the Rockets drafted in 1998. Nor the second. Nor the third."
    But like Clutch saying Hakeem's turnaround left 1-second on the clock, not 100% sure Cat's was a buzzer beater, but pretty sure.

1999-Feb-06 GSW 86-84. (Lockout year, hence Feb game)

OTMax likes this.
  17. Raider17

Raider17 Member

Scott Padgett had one in NY during the '04-'05 season

Killatron 2000, ElDobleK and OTMax like this.
  18. OTMax

OTMax Member

@heypartner @Clutch crazy right how a buzzer beater is truly rare. My guess is in our franchise history it will be hard to even find 20.

Thanks everyone!

19. BleedsRocketRed

The first Rockets game I ever saw live. I was 14 years old then and Ill never forget it

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I also remember Moochie hitting a game winner 3 pointer and1 in game 7 in Michael Jordan's face to get us our second championship. Then new York gave him a max contract that cheap Les wouldn't match.