1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC's Westbrook ft. Paul George & Carmelo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 20, 2017.

1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Hard to say since Ryno would still have 2 years left and Melo only 1, however they can't just trade Melo anywhere. He has the no trade clause and I would think Melo would have a pretty small list of who he'd want to get traded to. It'd be pretty interesting, but since both teams are over the cap, I don't think we can take Melo's salary without dumping another contract, that would have to go to a 3rd team since obviously it wouldn't make sense for them to take in more salary besides Ryno. And who would we want to throw into the deal to make the salary work? It would have to be like a Tucker or Ariza which obviously we're not doing. I would have to say it won't happen, and it was easier for the NY trade since they had the salary cap to absorb the salaries, which OKC doesn't.

bilaal14 likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

I would not entertain a Melo-for-Anderson swap.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure, the only thing i would definitely entertain with them at this point is a swap for George, not for Melo, he can stay there and enjoy his money. At this point, after this season Ryan will have two years left on his contract and he'll be a decent contract to move for an eventual big trade, which is the only thing we can do to get another big player apparently.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Due to trade matching rules, I believe Ryno's cap hit is enough to match Melo's salary. Would you do the deal if no other major pieces were involved?

With the cap stagnating relative to 2016, cap space is at a premium. I don't see a point in time where Ryno's contract will be a positive asset, especially since he's been relegated to a situational player with us.

As for getting a "big player", PJ, Gordon, plus our ancillary pieces (Onuaku, Nash, Qi) is enough to allow us to get back $30 MM in a trade. Plus, all of these players are neutral to positive assets, unlike Ryno.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

@joshuaao well, i didn't mean Ryan's contract is a good asset obviously, just a good contract to move for a big salary, sure, you can move EG and PJ, but that doesn't necessarily upgrade your roster unless you get back Lebron or Kawhi. I would obviously love to get the best player available, but this might not be possible, if that's going to be the case, i would be ok if we can still get a very good player to upgrade the roster without losing guys like Gordon and PJ.

bilaal14 likes this.
  6. AshtonB28

AshtonB28 Member

but apparently the thunder have some type of switch that will make them unstoppable in the playoffs, i hope all these media members eat crow when the thunder get bounced in the first round

ghettocheeze and bilaal14 like this.
  7. MystikArkitect

They’ll still see it as a monumental upset that couldn’t have possibly been forecasted.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. riko

riko Member

Melo is not a all star . Adams might have a outside case though

ghettocheeze and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Westbrook honestly reminds me of Iversom back in the day in the way that both players function better as a one man wrecking crew than with players who can help him with the offensive load. The Thunder just needs to build an elite defense around Russ and roll with that because no current All Star in his right mind would want to come to OKC to be sucked into that black hole

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

This is the guy who won an MVP trophy last season...

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Thunder could have easily beat the Spurs using the PnR with Adams. When Gasol and LMA (with a bum knee) is on the floor and you don't deliberately and maliciously try to get them to switch is just dumb.

All these systems, with the elaborate motions, and back picks, trying to get people open shots, and the best play is a simple PnR.

Media looking at the Rockets "system" like it is revolutionary stuff. It's like 3 plays and Harden, CP and EG going to work against mismatches.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

billy digging up the ear after wbs 3rd airbal was priceless

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Something that a lot of people (especially the media) have yet to address is Westbrook's usage rate in the playoffs. For the past few years Durant always had a lower usage rate than Westbrook, even though Durant is a significantly bigger threat on the offense. Even in terms of overall FGA, Westbrook practically takes the same amount of shots as Durant.

PG has somewhat of a consistent reputation of stepping up in the playoffs, but if Westbrook continues his current style of play, PG will end up getting underutilized in the post season. Even if OKC has a "switch" they can turn on, it won't matter if Westbrook takes 25 shots whilst PG is standing around giving you an efficient but underutilized 8-12 shooting performance.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sad part is also that this guy will probably end up in the hall of fame just because of the triple double season lol

JVL713, amaru and ghettocheeze like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

D'Antoni's Brilliant System... 7 words or less:

Let James or Chris run the ball.

ghettocheeze and hakeem94 like this.
  18. BackdoorHarden

Let's rest our guys and play them against OKC. If we beat OKC next week, we can stick it to Melo and Russ and knock them out of the 8th seat.

ghettocheeze and luckyman76 like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Russ took 32 shots to score 33 points while PG took 12 shots in a little over 41 minutes in yet another OKC L

man, if I were a star, there’s no way in hell I’d want to play with Westbrook...I’d be pissed if I only got 12 shots while our “PG” missed 20

20. Mr. Space City

tank for the 7th seed!

ghettocheeze likes this.