1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What kind of risk???

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Honey badger in Carolina?

4. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i dunno but i can tell you one place it wont be..

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. ballgame

ballgame Member

I'll take Rick Smith. No GM is perfect, not even DM....DM's best moves has been the ones he tried to make and failed; Nene the first time around, Gasol failed trade attempt and most recently the Melo failed trade attempt. And it's widely known DM is not good at drafting. So, he's not perfect! HOWEVER, THE ROCKETS KEEP PRESSING FORWARD TO MAKE MOVES.

But if you look at Rick Smith, I think with him having to deal with four times as many players as DM and the Rockets, a first time NFL Head Coach who was known as an Offensive Guru but has continuously failed to deliver a REAL Offense and has never gone above 9-7. I think Rick Smith did a good job! Sure I think they should've paid Dwayne Brown but to get a 2nd and a 3rd for a 33+yr old LT, that was an awesome move but nobody gives him credit.

I'm a fan of both but the difference between The Rockets and The Texans, if a player of need, such as Nate Solder, would have been on the market, The Rockets would have got him!

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

They did release their FS earlier

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Well if it’s here that your referring too it will be his lost...and I hope he signs with a team we play this upcoming year so Hop and Fuller can torch his a$$.

8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

I really want him here, i just dont see the Texans being agressive enough..
    Either Him or Earl Thomas would be a game changer. If Honey Badger would agree to come
    i can assure you other CBs will line up to play here as well,

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Concussion, torn biceps, PCL sprain...

11. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Not to mention one of the leading members of the players kneeling in protest. You have a better chance of seeing Bob McNair named next President of the NAACP than you do of seeing him authorizing signing Eric Reid.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Some of you live in fantasy land. The Texans can't plug all the leaks in one free agency class.

They needed 4 new starting offensive lineman, a tight end, back up QB, probably running back depth with Foreman's injury, another receiver, some defensive line help since you have no idea what Watt can still bring, and really an entire new secondary.

That can't be accomplished in one off season and especially when you don't have your 1st and 2nd round picks.

Clowney and McKinney are going to eat up a lot of cap space.

Only way we make the playoffs is if Deshaun Watson drags the team across the goal line kicking and screaming.

#1613 Redfish81, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    macho GRANDE, Chilly_Pete and studogg like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. hakimthdream02

Breeland failed his physical from a "non football injury" thoughts... think we could get him during the season???

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

with all due respect, i saw needs as #1 o-line and #2 secondary

This is the best free agency for DB's that i can ever remember. there have been a ton of good DB's signed and there are a bunch of good ones still left. We should be taking what free agency gives us and continue to upgrade the secondary.

I'm nervous because at the press conference yesterday someone asked Gaine a specific question about signing Honey Badger, and he was posturing that the contract has to be reasonable. Well of course. But i hope we are not being penny wise pound foolish with all of that cap space. Sometimes you have to pay for quality.

Bottom line, we better not be done in FA with impact player signings. The 3 o-linemen we added was a great start, but we need to sign at least one more tackle that has a chance to get on the field. Also, we need to upgrade the safety position. And i'd even go as far as to say that signing another corner would be wise. Consider that Jackson is a FA next offseason, Johnson can't seem to stay healthy, and JJo is more of a depth signing at this point. We'll be right back where we are now, next year, if we don't get our DB situation sorted out. You need 3 starting caliber corners in this league. Honestly Colvin is the only one we can count on. Jackson's play last year was terrible and the thought of giving him $9 this year is really hard to take.

Honey Badger, EJ Gaines, another OT. Maybe a low grade TE and QB signing. The rest you find in the draft.

clutch citizen likes this.
  17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Ugh Kap just has to remind everyone that our owner is a perceived racist.

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ok. What tackle? What QB? I'm with you on Gaines or Badger but don't think either one wants the Texans. From what I have read they both want a winning program. I think were done with significant free agents, unfortunately. We are re-building like it or not. One, maybe two losing seasons before we can contend in my opinion. I hate it, but probably another season where the last 4-5 games aren't worth watching. Woo hoo 2019 high draft picks!
    I hope I'm wrong.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i guess i think that if we can address the secondary and continue to improve the o-line in free agency, maybe hit on a couple draft picks, and avoid too many injuries, then i don't see why we can't be a playoff team next year. I hear you on tackle and QB; not a lot out there. But the draft isn't really an alternative for those two positions (in the short-term ...obviously i think we should be drafting o-line for the long-term). we don't have a starting tackle on either side at the moment, and a 3rd round rookie tackle isn't gonna move the needle. we have to find someone in free agency, no matter how unlikely. Same with QB, a rookie backup isn't a good option for us. We'll need to dig deep and find a vet in free agency.

20. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

so the Texans Claimed WR Sammie Coats