1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good are the Raptors?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Feb 15, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I admit I don't watch many games other than the rockets, so I was wondering how good are the Raptors. They've only lost 16 games and have the 3rd best record in the league. Their point differential is second in the league and higher than the warriors. They've also beat some pretty good teams including us and barely lost to the Warriors. They have a quality starting 5 with quality big men and one of the best wings in the league. I understand that Lowry has a history of choking in the playoffs but is this year different?

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

They are very good and are my pick to win the east.

A lot of posters here like to go espn on ‘em and ignore their legitimacy.

3. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

Raptors have insanely good 2nd unit and that's where their strength comes from. DeRozan and Lowry both have been pretty good this year, but nothing we haven't seen before. Raptors are really deep team with lots of ball movement, great defense and excellent coaching; in short, they're pretty legit.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Tbh i didn't watch them at all this season, but the team is basically the same as last season, they look good or great every year in regular season, and they disappoint in the playoffs every year, i look forward to see if something changes this time.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This. NBA Radio echoed the bench sentiment.

Raptors beat us handily @ Toyota earlier this year. We were without Paul, IIRC, but still an accomplishment.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're a very solid and deep team. Their young guys are really out performing expectations and showing lots of promise. But ultimately they're a poor man's version of the Rockets. Chris Paul > Kyle Lowry. James Harden > DeMar DeRozan. And it isn't even close. Our two best players have been MVP candidates while their two best players are guys who barely squeak into the All-Star game (and one of them is a career back up, right, DD?). It's kind of sad to me that they're the best team in the East.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. SS0101

SS0101 Member

One thing the league and media do good job of at making fans forget is that this in NOT a balanced league. The NBA plays an unbalanced schedule and the east has for a long time been way behind the west. So maybe the point differential and record don't really mean that much when you play all of the teams in the east 3 to 4 times while only playing all the teams in the west just 2 times. MVP award is affected by this too imo.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

"Raptors always fall apart in the playoffs" is the basic lazy national media narrative about them but their offensive is the 32 best of all time and their net rating is second in the league. They are legit.

9. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I also think the raptors suffer from a little of what we had in between the Yao/Tmac and Harden Eras. They are really good team basketball wise...which makes them a good regular season team. But they just dont have that true superstar level player that you typically need to do well in the playoffs. To at least advance. Now, I will admit they are better than those rockets teams...but I think it is still a relevant comparison.

YOLO likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Glad posters are pointing out the lazy narrative “we’ve seen this before [....] they choke when it counts”. Blah blah blah as if teams don’t evolve or get better and players don’t mature.

It’s pure lazy commentary. Similar to harden flops and doesn’t play defense. Cp3 and harden always flame out in the playoffs. Etc...

The raptors are GOOD.

Their offense is great, even though it does involve a good amount of midrange shots they are 4th in 3pa a game. They have pretty good ball movement.

Their defense is great. Og Anunoby is a stud defender and their team scheme and chemistry on rotations is crisp.

Their bench is very solid. They are one of the better units in the league right up there with Houston’s.

They have the 4th Ortg and 4th Drtg putting them top 5 in both categories which absolutely defines contender. Especially considerring they have the second best point differential and 3rd best netrtg.

They. Are. Legit.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

This will be a fun thread to revisit in a few months

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hey, they stomped us.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They are good enough to get handled in the playoffs by another team in the EC.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'll admit that I thought the Raptors would the same mediocre team they've been in years past, but their style of play has changed enough to take them to another level. DD and Lowry iso a lot less, they make more threes, and their bench is full of young energetic players. They're more team oriented now. DD's scoring is down and he's averaging 5.2 assists to only 2.2 turnovers. Their style of play is very similar to Flip Saunders' Pistons rather than their old style. And their defense is the best it’s ever been, #3 in the league currently.

It’s funny to hear fans complain constantly about the lack of respect for Houston from the national media, then give the same lazy takes about another elite team that’s playing just as hard. If you demand respect and don't give any, you don't deserve any.

15. omgTHEpotential

US media doesn't think much of them tbh

[​IMG]

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don’t know a single guy in their rotation aside from: Lowry, DeRozan, Ibaka, Jonas, and CJ Miles.

And yet somehow they’re above .700

Must have some good rookies and G-League type guys.

17. omgTHEpotential

So true.

18. Asian Sensation

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. AB423

AB423 Member

They aight... won't be able to beat the Cavs in the playoffs