1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay Thompson DA 2 WAY MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Reggie Frontal Lobotomiller just leveled this accusation at Klay, "since Kawhi Leonard is injured"

Klay is probably the 4th best player on his own team. I guess he could argue 3rd.

So the question I have posed on many an occasion is WTF is "2-way" supposed to mean?

When the universe deems Durant, Curry as MVP level players, and Klay Thompson not even remotely in the conversation - aren't they considering both/2 ways? Or is there a 3rd way (special teams? Maybe they're good on jump balls) that I am not considering?

Here is what "better 2 WAY player" means, according to my research

Klay Thompson offensive value + (defensive value * x) > [other player] offensive value + defensive value
    where x = or > whatever arbitrary value is required to make this equation work.

Trash this stupidass expression please. It is complete bullshit and needs to be toileted forever.

Thanks

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Paul George is the best 2 way player this year.. Not close!

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It is stupid.

Cool paul George and klay are 2 way studs.

Guess what no GM would take them over harden and curry.

Special offense is very rare.

There’s always Tony allen pat bev Andre Roberson. Elite defensive players.

Why aren’t they getting paid 40m and winning mvps?

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

Exactly what I was gonna post. PG is blowing up this game, defensively and offensively. Reggie even said PG might be DPOY.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Durant is IMO.

His defense is underrated as fuuck. I hate the guy but I’m not blind.

Paul George is a great case as well and much better than klay also.

Klay is the best 3&D guy in the league. That’s it....

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe they can get paid for offensive ranking in dollars and for defensive ranking in Vietnamese Dong (22k to $1 USD)

So Klay is worth like 5 million on offense but a 100 billion Dong on d. Curry is worth 12 million on offense but only 80 billion Dong on defense.

100 billion + 5mm > 80bb + 12mm ....ergo BETTER 2 WAYS

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

2 ways?

He lurks around one wing in 1Q, then does the opposite in 2Q.

hakeem94, adw and SamFisher like this.
  8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I
    Think
    Your
    On
    To
    Something

Lol

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think cp3 is the best 2 way player this year

hakeem94, macho GRANDE and BigShasta like this.
  10. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

It's a common mistake that people make because they attribute equal value on individual offense and individual defense when mathematically and statistically it's simply not true.

On a team level, yes it's 50:50. But individually speaking, elite offense is always more impactful than elite defense, especially for wing/perimeter players (For the Bigs tho, defense does really matter.)

For example, guys like Jordan/Iverson/Kobe/Harden could carry his team's entire offense and go 1 vs 5 when they're feeling it. Defensively, that's impossible, because no one single player can make up for his four other teammates missing defensive rotations and such. In principle, defense has to run like a well-oiled machine where all five guys are on the same page, whereas on offense even an isolation play can be extremely effective.

Simply put, defense is more of a team effort than offense, which is why the whole 'two-way player' thing is just a roundabout way of diminishing the value of great offensive players, who are the most important assets in this game.

#10 Vindicator, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    SS0101 and Fullcourt like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Klay Thompson or James Harden?" is one of my personal favorite Clutchfans threads. A true source of comedy to behold.

12. Buck Turgidson

Nogonna look it up, but did that actually happen?

I do sometimes blank out when it comes to the garm (just to keep my sanity)

J Sizzle and macho GRANDE like this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I am watching the game and they were talking about Kevin Durant and a Paul George I thought. Saying these two were the best two way players in the league minus Kawhi.

14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Klay is a slightly above average defender. He's not in the same league as George, Paul, Lebron, Kawhi, etc. as a defender.

Offensively, where he shines is his ability to knock down difficult 3 pointers in big games on a consistent basis. Seems like he's always shooting over 50% from 3 point range in huge games when other guys are struggling.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2 Way to the High Way.