1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we need Hidalgo on the Stros!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jiggadi, Nov 23, 2003.

1. franchise?..NOT

I do not know where it is best to hit Doggie. He strikes out a lot, doesn't walk and is not very good in clutch situations according to his stats. Never the less he managed to hit for average,hr's and RBI's well enough to have a very good year. If you factor in his defense/arm and age, he is worth keeping around IMO. I wonder if the Astros have approached him about re-doing his deal for about $8mil/yr for 4 years. Makes a lot more sense than trading him for next to nothing and losing what he does bring to the team which is considerable. When Bidge goes after next year, I would like to see Doggie, Berkman and Lane in the outfield in stead of having Porter, Berkman and a good fielding CF who can't hit.

2. franchise?..NOT

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe we can we arrange to have someone shoot him again!

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If that keeps up he could change his name to 50 Cent in a few years.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think this is a moot point...there seems to be zero interest from any other team in the league in taking on his salary

6. franchise?..NOT

I guess my point was to stir discussion about whether he would be worth $7-8mill/yr as a five or six hitter with the ability to influence base running with his arm.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Did anybody else notice that in all of the Pettitte articles this morning that Hidalgo's name wasn't mentioned once when they were talking about the core players are on the team. I believe Pettitte also talked about Jason Lane, but no Doggy. Hmmmmm.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Count out the Dodgers. They still haven't recovered from the .183/ZERO homers/9 RBI that Daryle Ward season gave them last year.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like Dalgy, but I think he'll be gone soon...Jason Lane can fill the void and he's a free agent at the end of the year...

10. Buck Turgidson

Drayton on 610 yesterday: "Well we were able to get into this situation with flexibility. We are always looking for that and to do deals that would help that. The deals we did so far have allowed us the flexibility for this signing."

"We are ready to go forward with the team that we have right now."

Gerry's looking to trade Blum, and acquire another utility infielder, 5th OFer & a veteran arm for the pen. Don't expect any major trades, Hidalgo included.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The Yankees need a RF with the uncertainty of Bernie Williams. Send em Hidalgo.