1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not accurate, happened under Jimmy Carter

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly the real solution to things like this is to take away the fake filibuster. Allow Senators to actually filibuster if they choose, but this nonsense where you merely announce your intention to filibuster thus requiring 60 votes to pass anything is BS.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

No it didn’t. There were funding gaps but no agencies were closed or employees were furloughed.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be fair, I certainly don’t think Republicans in general wanted a shut down. Only a couple like Tom Cotten are happy tonight. There’s a difference between normal Republicans trying to work with this president and do their job(the Mitch Mcconnells) and Trump/Steven Miller. Even though McConnell and co still are mostly terrible people, but I don’t think they wanted a shut down at all.

Trump, the hard right like Miller/Kelly and his fans like we see here absolutely want a shutdown though.

The racist far right view this as their super bowl to take a stance on immigration, and the anarchists that love him see this as a way to show the world that our government doesn’t work and we should blow it up.

For the Democrats their choices were a bad choice and a horrible choice because of Trump. Not because of the Republicans. The Republicans have no way to work with this White House in a productive manner that gives anyone on both sides a productive way to run the government. In the end, this all goes back to one man and the fringe hard right racist lunatics that he has to pander to 99% of the time no matter what.

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Their choice was to either shut the government down unless the Republicans gave into furthering their social agenda or to fund the government and keep up the discussion when it came to their social agenda without a shutdown. Them deciding to filibuster in order to shut down the government over social programs completely separate from funding the government wasn't something they were forced into....it's a tactic they chose in order to "RESIST".

I'm sure your spin here will be accepted by many, but it won't make it accurate. The "They didn't completely give in to our demands when it came to completely unrelated issues, so we had no choice but to shut the government down" narrative is simply ridiculous. What's worse is that the racist far left don't even really care about this issue, they just want to create chaos for political purposes.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's the truth of it right here.

If this was Jeb Bush, Rubio, basically any other GOP candidate there is no pandering to that base. It's a shame, but, it is what it is. Trump is a horrible president, even by his own metric this is his blame. I think only biased really right wing people wouldn't put most of the fault at the president's feet here, as they did for practically EVERYTHING that happened in this country when Obama was president. Seems the initial reaction is that people are blaming Trump and the GOP for the shutdown. I don't blame the GOP too much, I do blame Trump though.

The WH statement makes it pretty hard to imagine how negotiating with him will be in good faith.

For the Dems, I think they will win this stare off. As you mentioned, they aren't going to let this last too long and will put the pressure on the GOP to actually do something about DACA and keep their word there. Right now, they are showing a bit of spine to their base which is what a lot of Democratic voters have been begging for now for about a decade.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what Chuck Shumer would have to say about what the Democrats are doing right now.....

It seems like he has changed his mind and endorsed "The politics of idiocy, of confrontation, of paralysis" at some point in the last 5 years.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

bu-bu-but...the Troops!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they were really worried about that, they wouldn't have filibustered ensuring a shutdown. I guess they can always count on people like you to blame any of the consequences of their actions on others though.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think McConnell and the GOP can always count on people like you to blame any of the consequences of their actions on others too, so there you go.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She voted to avoid the shutdown in the first place. After that failed she tried this additional action. It's pretty clear that McKaskill was consistent in her actions.

That being said, your premise is incredibly off base to put it nicely. If Republicans really cared about that they would have moved to make sure DACA passed before there was even an issue over funding. I guess you're guilty of blaming others as well.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They didn't filibuster the bill funding the government ensuring a shutdown, if they did, I'd blame them for it.

I mean, to a certain extent I blame the Republicans in the Senate for not ending the fake filibuster so that things like this would almost never happen, but short of that, they didn't cause this. They aren't the ones deciding to go the route of "The politics of idiocy, of confrontation, of paralysis" in an effort to get part of their social agenda furthered.

crash5179 likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You fail bro.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-obama-for-2013-government-shutdown-resurface

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

@zeeshan2 just posted a neat and tidy timeline of this entire situation, where is it wrong?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's good, then she should be angry that the minority leader caused the shutdown.

DACA has nothing to do with the government being funded, so doing that or not doing that should have no bearing on the government being funded. Unfortunately Democrats decided that unless they got their way on DACA that they were going to shut down the government which I suppose is their right to do......but they can't do that then blame it on others.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, sure you can deflect, but that in no way makes Schumer less of a hypocrite.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It omits the part where the Democrats filibustered the bill to fund the government causing the shutdown. Also, it's talking about DACA for the most part, not funding the government. Those two things are only tied in the minds of the Democrats who chose to shut the government down due to not getting their way on that issue.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I guess you haven't been paying attention then. No point in continuing this conversation.