1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Duckworth welcomes trade to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Major

Major Member

Hmm. Which Hernandez were you watching? I watched Carlos Hernandez during the entire time he pitched for us and he looked decidedly mediocre.

Still can't understand why so many people are high on him. Did you guys actually watch him pitch? He wasn't terrible but he certainly was average.

Before his shoulder injury (in his 2nd start as an Astro), he was 1-0, ~10 innings or so, with a 0.00 ERA - absolute dominance.

He was never the same after the shoulder injury, which he tried to play with multiple times.

2. Major

Major Member

I take that back. He got hurt in his 3rd start. In his first two games, his statistics were:

13 innings pitched
    0 runs allowed
    14 strikeouts
    7 hits allowed

In his third outing, he was again pitching a shutout for 4 innungs until his injury, after which he gave up 2 runs and then was yanked. He didn't pitch again in 2001.

In 2002, he tried to go again, but wasn't the same and was pulled after 3 months to have surgery.

He missed all of 2003 rehabbing.

3. Buck Turgidson

Probably saw him pitch 10 times in the minors, saw all of his pre-injury starts with the 'Stros. Low '90s fastball, 2 & 4 seam, great curve, solid change, good control, not afraid to challenge hitters...still can't understand why you think he was an "average" prospect. He had the stuff to potentially be the best LHP in the NL, if he can come back 90% of what he was, he'll be a top of the rotation starter for a long time. All depends on if he's healthy.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

thanks for informing me...i've only been following him since he started in the majors.

5. Greg M

Greg M Member

Did you even read my next post?

And how have you been following him? Checking those boxscores every day, eh? The Astros should sign you as a scout. Maybe then Houston won't acquire a terrible talent like Duckworth. Ignore his minor league performance. Ignore his mechanics. We just need major league boxscores to evaluate talent.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As others have pointed out, before the injury, Carlos was lights out. He had pinpoint accuracy with his moderately quick fastball, and that huge hook curveball of his was buckling the knees of major league star hitters. It was something to see. I got the joy of seeing him pitch once at Round Rock. It was back when the organization was still high on Wilfredo Rodriguez because he could throw so hard. I went to the park thinking that is who I would be seeing pitch, having mixed up the two Hispanic names...and instead I saw a dominating Carlos performance where he struck out 12 batters and never really even seemed to break a sweat. If he could get back to pre-injury shape, I think we would have our 1-2-3 pitchers set...but I certainly am not getting my hopes up.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Well I highly doubt it with it being Minute Maid park and all.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros as a team had a very good home ERA of 3.87 last year, good enough for 10th in the entire major leagues (6th in the NL). Once pitchers learn to pitch in MMP, it is not that much of a detriment.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Speaking of not reading posts....did you even read my original one? I said the guy has good stuff. I remember his minor league numbers were good too.

Let me see if I can word this correctly.
    1. Duckworth will be 28 when the season starts
    2. Duckworth's career started great in his 1st half season
    3. Duckworth followed up that 69 inning stint with a 163 inning season that was filled with inconsistency, but showed he has talent
    4. Duckworth then followed up that season by a terrible start and got demoted to the minors and then demoted to the bullpen on his return.

It's generally a very negative thing when you see regression for a pitcher his age. You generally want to see a guy his age to show significant advancement and not more inconsistency. Duckworth will continue to be a guy with good stuff, but he is too inconsistent. Inconsistency in players this old generally doesn't just go away. I know there are exceptions, but not many.

So yeah you kind of got to ignore his minor league stats since those were 2 1/2 seasons ago. The majors is what counts and he is just not putting it together in the majors like he should. I'm sure you thought Jason Lane was going to be the next Lance Berkman after that season he had 2 years ago, right?

10. Greg M

Greg M Member

It's looking more and more that he will be in the bullpen this coming year. ESPN Radio reported that the Astros have signed Pettitte. That gives a rotation of Oswalt, Pettitte, Miller, Redding and then a fight for the fifth spot between Hernandez, Robertson and Duckworth. Come on Carlos.

Duckworth could end up being a stud in the bullpen. Almost every top reliever is a failed starter. Duckworth seems to be a guy who thinks too much and doesn't properly mix up his pitches. If he does win the fifth spot, Brad Ausmus will have a lot to do with Brandon's success, like Redding last year. Either as a starter or a reliever, I think Duckworth will be an important part of the staff. He has the stuff. Just needs a little guidance.

Oh and I've never been a huge Jason Lane fan. He's a class below Berkman and Hidalgo. Good player but not great.