1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Vote for Domanick Davis. (Rookie of the week)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Blatz, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Vote for Rookie of the week.

Domanick Davis - 30%
    Brock Forsey - 25%
    Bethel Johnson - 25%
    Byron Leftwich - 18%
    Terrence Kiel - 0%

Total votes - 3432 (The vote count was about a hour ago, I think.)

Domanick Davis - Rushed for 101 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries and caught two passes for 27 yards in the Texans’ 17-13 win over Atlanta. Davis leads all rookies with 825 yards rushing and has rushed for 100 or more yards in four of his seven career starts.

Brock Forsey - Chicago RB
    Rushed for 134 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries and caught two passes for 27 yards in the Bears’ 28-3 win over Arizona. Forsey has rushed for 190 yards and two touchdowns in two career starts.

Bethel Johnson - New England WR
    Returned five kickoffs for 192 yards and a touchdown, an average of 38.4 yards per return, in the Patriots’ 38-34 win over Indianapolis. Johnson’s 92-yard kickoff-return touchdown was the final play of the first half and gave the Patriots a 24-10 lead, and his 67-yard return in the fourth quarter in a 31-31 tie game led to the Patriots’ game-winning points. He also caught two passes for seven yards.

Byron Leftwich - Jacksonville QB
    Completed 20 of 34 attempts for 224 yards and two touchdowns for a 98.2 passer rating in the Jaguars’ 17-10 win over Tampa Bay.

Terrence Kiel - San Diego CB
    In his first career start at cornerback, recorded eight tackles and one special teams tackle in the Chargers’ 28-24 loss to Kansas City.

Some pretty good games by these rookies last week. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but my vote is going to Domanick.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Thanks to this kid, the draft should be a whole lot easier. I think we have our running back. What makes it even more legitimate is that two solid NFL backs struggled in the same offense the past two years. Yet Davis exploded in it. We've got a starter. One more year to solidify it.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Mack and Allen are not suited to be primary backs in the NFL. Mack is a short yardage guy and Allen is more of a 3rd down back. Domanick was a f'n steal in the 4th round. So we're pretty much set at the skill positions on offense. Our O-line has depth issues, and Chester Pitts needs to be moved to guard to cut down on his false starts.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Boldin has over 1,000yds receiving and the media hardly mentions his name for rookie of the year. Johnson and Davis get all the hype which is a good thing.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

DD is at 38% now. Man, it looks like he pretty much has ROY locked up if it's based on previous voting.

Boldin has been playing all year but DD didn't come on until after Capers figured out what a bum Stacy Mack was and started him. If we could get the ball to AJ more, they might finish 1 & 2 for the year.

Carr, DD, AJ = our version of The Triplets. Hopefully we'll get the same kind of results as that other team up I-45 only without the cocaine...

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

DD has been great for us, so far. I'd like to see how durable he is over the next few years.

7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Results - Week 13
    Domanick Davis 43%
    Bethel Johnson 26%
    Brock Forsey 18%
    Byron Leftwich 12%
    Terrence Kiel 2%
    VOTES 34597

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

DD now has 44% of all votes.

I agree with you about Pitts. Something has to be done about that guy. He is a momentum killer.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Way to go DD!!

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

45% and counting... DD, he could... go... all... the... way!

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't you know that Pitts is the greatest OL of all-time, or will be??? I mean, any knowledgeable football fan would rather have him over, say, Clinton Portis.

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

DD is awesome! But can someone calm my fear that we are not seeing Gary Brown, the reincarnated?

Even if, I think Hollings is a very good long-term solution, but it's DD's job to lose at this point.

We're not seeing GB, 2, right? It will help me sleep better.

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Watch out, I compared the two a few weeks ago and people thought I was crazy, good thought.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Apples and oranges. What do G Brown and DD have in common besides the fact that they both happened to have played for a team in Houston? Brown had a better team and a better offensive line. Those Oiler teams made the playoffs for 7 straight years. The Texans are in their 2nd year of existence.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I am also left scratching my head when I hear the comparisons to Gary Brown.

Is it just the fear of a back seemingly coming out of nowhere, having a much better than expected season and then falling off the face of the Earth?

I mean, as players, Gary Brown and DD could hardly be anymore different. DD was a 4th round draft pick, Brown was picked in a round that doesn't even exist anymore (8th). DD earned a starting spot in year one and has performed. Brown was on the team for a couple of years before finally getting a starting spot halfway into the '93 season. Brown had a very experienced QB playing in a very open offense that prevented opponents from stacking the line. DD has mostly had a 2nd year QB in a still-learning and very young offense that hasn't exactly set the passing world on fire just yet. Brown had Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak anchoring the O-line. DD's line is probably not nearly as good at this point (as ima mentioned), and so on.

Davis may not build on his rookie success, but the comparison to Gary Brown is very puzzling.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I've said this many times before, but the run shoot always produces backs with 1,000 yard seasons, no matter how good or bad the rb is, this is fact. I believe G. Brown was in the run and shoot if I'm not mistaken. So it's difficult in my opinion to gauge Brown's his dominance. He was the prduct of a great system.

From my perspective, the fact that Davis produced these results in a young offense, with a young qb, and in an offense that failed two other rb's badly...he's the real deal. He overcame a lot of negatives. Where as G. Brown overcame a lot of positives.

17. Buck Turgidson

For a kid playing his 4th year of competetive football, playing (by necessity) out of position at the toughest spot on the O-line, he's doing a hell of a job. He's improved by leaps & bounds since last season, and all indications point to him being a pro-bowl caliber LG for years, once the Texans find someone who can play tackle.

If you want to pick nits over the '02 draft, look at Fred Weary & Charles Hill.

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Domanick Davis brings home the rookie of the week award for his fifth time.

Out 13 Rookie of the Week awards 7 of them have been Texans. Domanick Davis (5) and Andre Johnson (2)

Now come on Andre, go get you another ROW Sunday. You need to catch up.

19. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Thanks mrpaige (I suppose fear of GB repeat led me to my post), but I'll subscribe to your theory that DD is > GB given your very reasonable contrast of the two. Thanks.