1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/1-25] Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice (draft-and-stash) of Clint Capela at the 25th pick?

1. YES

328 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

wait but we still have to check this thread in 4 years. probably add another 5 years for the other guy in utah

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The problem with relying solely on the eye test is you become very biased on your assessments.

You were always very hard on him when he got drafted, and that’s ok because he was horrible.

So you’ve always held on to this thought of how badly he was and how much growth he needed. That even as he has constantly grown and evolved your opinion has been more stubborn and reluctant to grow.

He was very good in the playoffs and especially against the spurs

YOLO and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Bballholic likes to flip his view point. You provide him stats, he'll respond with "Gotta watch the games". You tell him this is what you see, he'll respond with "Gotta look at the numbers".

The guy takes more L's than the Cleveland Browns.

4. basketballholic

Yes I've been somewhat stubborn. Will remain so. Because it's all about winning a championship.

I've already admitted he's much better than I projected. I think that's enough for now. I'm not going to proclaim him capable of holding the defensive middle for a championship team until I see it on court. Although he has improved significantly I still believe the best course for our team to take in order to compete for the most championships possible is to trade him at the deadline. Going into free agency with him as a RFA next summer would be a huge mistake in my opinion. And could hogtie our cap and our championship aspirations.

We have Capela right where we want him. Playing for a big contract and exceeding expectations in a system that delivers him the ball on a platter to dunk and covers his defensive deficiencies, lack of stamina, and slow recognition as well as possible. I like it. Love it actually. But it doesn't change what I see are his flaws. Switching? No. He can switch.

Capela folds like a cheap tent in a hail storm when he has to grind and bang. Sure he looks good in our system now. But I've said it repeatedly, in the playoffs you have to grind. Especially us. Because everybody we face outside of the Warriors knows they can't run and gun with us. So we're gonna see grinders in the playoffs, the Grizz, the Spurs, the Jazz, even the Thunder will grind on him. He couldn't even get up to set the pick against the Thunder last post season. Teams that wind the clock, throw the ball around the merry go round a dozen times a possession and big beef bumping and grinding him inside are a huge problem. Clint has fallen apart EVERY TIME under those conditions. He showed up against the Spurs and was stout? Better go watch that series again. He was a non-factor on both ends...at best.

He simply has never showed the capability of holding down the defensive paint. And I'm not buying it now either, 21 games into the season on December 1.

By the way I did admit much earlier than this, ......like after his first season that he was better than I thought. And this is not personal with Clint. He seems like a nice guy with good character. Superior to Terrence in that regard. So I'm good there. But we're talking about our center here. He's gonna have to show me he can thrive under pressure against physicality before I change my tune. Sorry.

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Just look at my sig and that’s all you need to know.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Funny how bballholic needs 8 years of evaluation and postseason success to declare Clint a good player, but proclaimed Thon Maker as the superior player from the get go. Hey holic, should we still trade Clint for Maker so we can man up in the middle?

RudyTBag and YOLO like this.
  7. basketballholic

Absolutely.

MrButtocks likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow

9. K-Lo_The_Future

World class troll. No one in their right mind would actually consider this.

10. basketballholic

I'd trade Capela for Maker unless I could get something better.

11. basketballholic

Obviously false. I'm not trolling. I didn't bring up Maker. But I would trade CC for him unless I could get something better for CC at the deadline.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

the guy who cant even average a block a game is the answer for the rockets!

hilarious when the bucks prefer henson in the middle

13. basketballholic

I didn't say he was the answer.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m honestly dumbfounded that somebody could say that they’d trade Capela for Maker with a straight face

this dude has such a strange attraction to scrubs

K-Lo_The_Future likes this.
  15. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thong Maker??? Super skinny, fake news jumpshot, small hands mean he won't be as good in the P&R, not a good defender, could be 23-24 years old, give me a break.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Like Nerlens Noel?

lmao

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

bballohic has been very high on Joe Chee, should we be worried

18. basketballholic

Noel is better. But he doesn't have better trade value than CC right now. I'd take Noel and a first though.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah his scouting report on a ton of players is just completely off. he tries way too hard to find guys that he thinks people over look. i mean if you try time and time again, eventually you may find one? not the case here though.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So you believe Clint Capela would be receiving DNP's for the Dallas Mavericks this season?

Because Rick Carlisle seems to think that's what Noel is worth.