1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No excuses for his piss poor playoffs please. Command your damn fastball!

Nook likes this.
  2. mightybosstone

He threw some good pitches, and he got that crucial strikeout of Puig, which was huge. The home run was unfortunate. But if Giles had only given up that one homer and had settled down and gotten that last out in the 10th, we wouldn't be crushing the guy today. Devo wasn't amazing, but I feel a hell of a lot better about him this morning than I feel about Giles.

No doubt. With McCullers and Morton going the next two games, Those four guys (Peacock, Devo, Musgrove and McHugh) are incredibly important and will likely need to provide multiple innings in those games barring some remarkable performances from the starters. I don't see Harris as a multi-inning guy, but I see him as the key piece to get the Astros an out or a clean inning when they desperately need it.

3. what

what Member

Giles had tremendous pressure on him. And as far as i am concerned he helped us win that game, getting 5 tough outs is ni joke. And yeah they still tied the game up, but it could have been a lot worse.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros bullpen is like the stock market:

Harris - trending up after one performance
    Devo - making a comeback after bottoming out last week
    Giles - trending down

I was actually ready for Gregerson to start the inning/get the save at that point. Because who the **** knows what any of these guys will do each time out in these pressure-packed games.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Similar to the post suggesting they replace Springer as a leadoff guy... but not till next season.

TBH, as Giles showed this year, closing in the regular season is a markedly different animal than closing playoff games. He's been about where the other supposedly elite closers have been, when asked to do more than what they normally did.... which is not very good.

Kimbrel, Davis, Chapman, Jansen.... all have given up runs, blown games thus far. Playoffs are just a different level of pressure for both sides, that leads to a mixed bag of results.

In the end, makes me appreciate even more what Rivera was able to do all those years. He's so far and ahead of any other closer who's ever pitched.

Nook likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If your the Dodgers manager, today you may be starting to ask that question as well.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought Roberts was playing with fire... no matter how great your bullpen is, and how great the matchups look on paper, eventually more pitchers being put in = more possible faltering.

Both Fields and McCarthy looked scared shitless to be in there. Morrow is not on the level that Kahnle was. And Jansen, as good as he's been... throws a lot of pitches in the zone, which bodes well for a lineup that is intent on making contact. He's sorta what Musgrove projects to be...with better stuff.

Nook likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Roberts strategy obviously reflects his assumption that the game would not go into extra innings. He had to use Fields and McCarthy out of desperation.

9. mightybosstone

I don't think you can give the guy a pass for last night. He came a few feet from blowing the game entirely in the bottom of the 9th and then gave up a 2-run lead in the bottom of the 10th. Even after giving up the homer to Puig, he had a chance to get out of that inning with a win, and he couldn't do it.

I get that these are high pressure situations, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes in those moments. But that's why the Astros pay him millions of dollars to be the closer, and that's the role he's expected to play. I like Giles, and I really want to see the guy succeed. But he didn't last night, and he's now given up seven earned runs and three homers in only 7 2/3 innings so far in the playoffs. That's not remotely good enough.

#389 mightybosstone, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His strategy was based on the fact that each bullpen guy would "do their job"... even if he used one guy for only 1 pitch, and another guy for only 1 batter because he walked him.

Just saying that there's not a perfect formula for managing these situations... and when you pull your #2 starter after only 4 and limited pitches, and you burn through other pitchers to get to your closer... and still want your closer to get 6 outs... you may not always win that game.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he gets a pass. His job is to get the outs in pressure situations as well as situations with less pressure. I'm not going to hate him and think he should be sent to triple-A or anything, but I still won't give him a pass for last night, and he could have played a huge role in losing that game. Luckily for him, the rest of the team picked it up and got us the win.

12. akgoel

akgoel Member

In August 2005, Brad Lidge faced 43 hitters, walking 7 and giving up 10 hits, for a total OPS of 0.819, but somehow lucked into giving up only 4 runs, He picked it back up in September, but was living on the edge, requiring an amazing Bruntlett/Everett double play to get out a jam in NLCS Game 4. Did you trust him to get Pujols out in Game 5? I didn't. And Giles is worse.

13. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

To answer the original question, na.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Giles has shown Hinch over and over what he is and it's time for Hinch to listen. Giles is great under 20 pitches (3 outs) but this get 6 outs and 20+ pitches is more than he can do. So I trust Giles but I don't trust Hinch to use him properly.

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Sure it could have been worse but at this point in October you really need your closer to be lights out or it will cost you a game or two... ask the dodgers!

16. texian

texian Member

Still nope.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really don't think that's true... Giles hasn't really been great in under one inning he has been just as bad

18. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I laughed so hard when this happened lol....

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that was a huge break.

20. Nook

Nook Member

No, Ken Giles didn't "vastly outperform" anyone last night other than the idiot fan that get into the Astros bullpen.

Devo was able to get that third strike with a full count to end the game, mental midget Giles wasn't..... that alone makes Devo better than Giles last night.

T for 3 likes this.