1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popular Mexican soccer club in talks to bring MLS soccer to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Nov 24, 2003.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

First off................I'm not talkin about Chivas.

its that other club............Mexico City's Club America according to news out of California

story link..........scroll to bottom, same info as posted here

Or Club America could by the struggling-at-the-gate San Jose Earthquakes and move them to Houston as has been rumored

Houston still has a good shot at getting Chivas USA though, being that Jorge Vergara is not satisified with the playing accomodations that San Diego has provided. He is still in talks with BOTH cities. San Diego can not guarantee him a new stadium........they cant even guarantee the Chargers a new stadium. So if things fall thtrough in SD as they are currently going, Houston gets Chivas USA.

Either ways.............its almost pretty much a done deal that Houston will be in the MLS in some way by 2006.

2. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Its bad enought the Comets are allowed to be discussed in a section featuring the Texans and Astros, now we might have to worry about seeing MLS topics? What is next, Aeros game threads?

3. rockets688

rockets688 Member

I thought we already had an MLS team....

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

sweet. it's about time we got a major soccer team in the city of houston. you know it will do well, esprcially considering it will be a mexican team.

5. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Well I hope you are right . . . if so, that is absolutely FANTASTIC news! I will get season tickets guaranteed.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Are they going to play in Reliant?

I'm interested to see the soccer-only stadium up in Frisco they're building for the Burn. I'm sure I'll take the time to check out a Burn game once they get up there.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

yeah yeah i like the Aeros

8. tigereye

tigereye Member

There are two sides too this story.

If Houston gets Chivas USA, expect a new soccer-only stadium built at the parking lot directly east of the Astrodome opposite Reliant or a renovated Robertson Stadium. Owner Jorge Vergara has said that he wants a new soccer-specific stadium for his Chivas USA team. This is also what is hurting San Diego's chances of having the team. San Diego officials counted on Chivas sharing Qualcomm and eventually a new stadium, with the Chargers. They didnt count on Chivas wanting a stadium of there own. So right now, while city officials are busy trying to save the Chargers form bolting town for LA, they now have to worry about Chivas's demands for a new stadium too. They still might land the team..............that is if Vergara and the MLS are willing enough to wait on a new stadium deal. And given what has happened in the past with other teams, that is likely NOT to happen unless SD guarantees them a sweet "not-to-be-passed-up" stadium deal. But unlike SD and Qualcomm, Vergara and the MLS would happy enough to play in better suited Reliant for a couple of years until a new stadium is built for obvious reasons.

As for Mexico City's Club America, they actually would prefer to play at Reliant cause of the retractable roof, which could be closed during the usually hot summer climates. They feel this could be used to draw larger crowds then any other team, the fact that soccer fans in Houston wouldnt have to suffer through unbearable temps unlike other teams.

In a couple of weeks, we shall find out where Chivas USA wll play. If they choose Houston, then more then likely, Club America has a deal lined up to buy the San Jose Earthquakes. This is unlikely to happen since San Jose ownership doenst want to sell the team now that there MLS Cup Champs.

But dont count out Houston landing Chivas USA. That could still happen being that Houston has either soccer friendly Reliant OR the smaller Robertson OR a new venue to choose from.

But if Chivas chooses to go to San Diego as some expect, then Club America likely has a deal lined up with Houston for the next roundof expansion teams to enter the league in 2006. This is the scenario most feel will happen to get both cities and Mexican clubs involved in the league.

9. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

well isn't this a crazy turn if I have ever seen one . . . the great US of A needing Mexican capital resources to be succesful, rather than the other way around. ;) how ironic.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds good to me. It would be cool to have an MLS team.

11. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

That's good news. I don't soccer that much, but i do understand it. I only like International teams playing against each other. But if Houston gets a team, im going to enjoy seeing them. I prefer Chivas, there more like a underdog team. Club America is like the L.A Lakers. Hope we get one of them ! :)