1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans: Rookies on pace for history

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-texansrookiesonpacef&prov=fanball&type=lgns

If running back Domanick Davis and wide receiver Andre Johnson continue on their present paces, they will become the first rookie teammates in NFL history with 1,000-yard efforts in their first pro seasons. Johnson, the third overall pick, has 42 catches for 589 yards and is on pace for 1,044 yards. Davis, who was selected in the fourth round (101st overall) and didn’t become the starter until week seven, has 587 yards on 14 carries and is on pace to finish with 1,042 yards. Both players have been honored as the NFL’s Rookie of the Week this season; in fact, Davis is the first player to ever win the honor four weeks in a row.

The best combo debut by rookies came back in 1973, when running back Boobie Clark and wide receiver Isaac Curtis totaled 1,831 yards in 14 games for the Cincinnati Bengals. More recently, Rodney Thomas and Chris Sanders combined for 1,770 yards in 16 games for the 1995 Houston Oilers. Johnson and Davis have both achieved every-week fantasy starter status and, barring injury, should be able to hit this impressive milestone.

2. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Wow...thats almost 42 yards per carry!!!!!

I think you meant 114 carries.

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Who the hell names their kid "Boobie"? Now that's just plain ****ed up.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think there is a thread in the hangout that might shed some light on that.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

587 yards on 14 carries sounds like a Bo Jackson stat line from Tecmo Super Bowl...

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Now that game has to rank up there as one of the all-time greats from Nintendo....:D

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I hope Davis can keep it up next year, remember Gary Brown? I know they are 2 different types of runners, but he was a one year wonder from what I remember.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

That was my thoughts. Even if Davis' fails, Hollings will be the man. Davis is just keeping Hollings' spot warm.

Go Domanick! Go Johnson!

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What do Gary Brown and Domanick Davis have in common outside of them both playing for Houston teams?

Remember Jim Brown? I know him and Davis are different runners, but Jim Brown was one of the best ever from what I remember.

Doesn't make sense.

10. Austin70

Gary Brown came out of no where, just like Davis.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess, but so did a lot of other backs who went on to have very successful careers.

12. Austin70

I was comparing them because they both played for Houston. I hope he makes a solid running back for years to come.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

we're funny, us humans. i would have never, in million years, drawn a line between gary brown and domanick davis, but to someone, doing so made sense.

not knocking ya, austin; just pointing out how much our experiences can taint our perspective, and how interesting those conclusions we draw can be. we see a lot of this during the draft: "x and y were both failures in past drafts; therefore z will be a failure, too."

i have no idea if davis is a long-term answer, btw. what i do know is that he explodes through holes, keeps his legs moving and always has his body falling forward - which are all traits of great backs. i also love his patience and the coaches think a lot of him, too. i'm certainly encouraged.

15. Austin70

That just me though, I look at things cross eyed somtimes. I liked Davis from the first time he ran the ball in Miami, I was like damn, this guy doesn't stop driving his legs.

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I personally think that Davis, even if he "fails," will become a very good goal line/3rd down back, sort of like Crockett for the Raiders. He's not fast, he's not extremely powerful, but he has that explosion which is great to see.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah he was real impressive in that Miami game. If mack piled up 90yds against them I know Davis would have had about 130.

18. notafaker

notafaker Member

Gary Brown had a couple of 1000 yard seasons in San Deigo

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

So is the team.

Go Texans!!