1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Let's be clear, @BimaThug is not just a fan. He is a serious and respected capologist who is known by our front office, Bobby Marks, and a bunch of other serious people. If he had written this up with a different name as a post and stuck it on fansided or some other site, 15 threads about the article would have been created.

In short, a smart front office would not have made the moves they made this week if they were close to trading Melo.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Therein lies the issue.

Bids9, Manos, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Very true about BT. Yet, the conclusion seems spot-on if the putative trade were for cap relief. Might another look be that there is a structure for a deal that brings a greater perceived return with more '17-'18 $$$s?

I have no reason to believe anything is imminent nor do I have any reason to believe anything/everything is DOA.

4. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Ok so Melo by the end of the week.

onreego likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe they don't need cap space because they intend to get equal salary back? I don't get what the big deal is. Maybe I am missing something.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The way I understand it is that by signing someone for the MLE, NYK will not be pursuing any trades that result in freeing up any part of the salary cap.

onreego likes this.
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I'm sure when they signed Noah they weren't pursuing having to dump him in a year but here we are.

The Knicks have a successful track record of doing the wrong thing. We should expect them to live up to their high degree of blunders without fail.

jch1911 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Unless they are not all that confident that they can attract FA's. I think it would be a solid move for Utah.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Maybe the Knicks are just dumb and don't even know what they are doing

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

They are. But we've gotta be honest with ourselves. Trading Melo to us right now would probably be the dumbest move. This guy just got the GM job. He's not gonna take a hit like that right off the bat

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He already took the first hit by joining the Knicks.

12. SuraGotMadHops

13. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

maybe knicks are playing smart and with that signing they might be trying to tease or scare DM so he can increase his offer
    But I know DM has way better brain then them
    IN DM WE TRUST

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

JoeBarelyCares and DonKnock like this.
  15. onreego

onreego Member

They are making it clear to Morey that even with the new GM they will continue to function dysfunctionally.

s3ts, Tfor3 and DonKnock like this.
  16. rockets13champs

I'm not saying anything bad about @BimaThug he has my respect and he is a very good capolagist. My point is he does not work for rockets he is a fan of team. Therefore he does not have inside information on Carmelo

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

I feel you. Thats a good thing to say to satisfy your heart..lol
    In DM and potato head we trust

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Great news! I'm fine with keeping Ryno, it was his first year and just think he much space he creates.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Right, they could intend to take equal salary back. Perhaps the Jazz do make some sense. Favors + Burks = nearly 23 MM alone.

Anderson minus cost savings for moving Burks who expires after the 2018-19 season = (20.4 M - 11.3 = 9.1 M). Someone mentioned that Utah would prefer cap space. Well Burks is still on the books so they may be okay with a player like Anderson who provides the intangible aspect of spacing in the new NBA. Anderson next to Gobert seems like a good fit to me.

rockets13champs likes this.
  20. Bowlrips

Bowlrips Member

It might not just matter to the Knicks to have salary cap space anywayss.. What would they do if they opened up $4-5mil in space?

#5680 Bowlrips, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017