1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Seven

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 12, 2016.

1. LAM

LAM Member

You say "Potpie" I keep calling him "Hot Pocket" by mistake every time.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I find the selective imagination of Book Huggers to be fascinating as they rationalize on one hand and nitpick on the other.
    • Brianne should have sliced Arya's arm off in that sparring match. No punches pulled. lulz
    • How can Euron be everywhere. GRRM never would have even suggested a fleet of 1000 ships would split up, even though Dany's fleet did. Half to ferry the Unsullied and half to ferry the Dothraki. Lulz
    • Ships can't be stealthy and quiet at night, unless GRRM explains it in a book. Then it makes sense...lulz
    • The gold conventienty made it to KL, so Dany wouldn't get it. How does that make sense unless GRRM writes a few paragraphs to explain how close that Blackwater Rush bottleneck crossing is to KL lulz
    Book Huggers -- awesome

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The loot train attack - DRAGONS!!!!

DD

don grahamleone and B-Bob like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ooo...Book Hugger nitpicking, again. This one has three fallacies.
    1. Why not also complain that Podrick's sword should have been sliced like butter....he was sparring first
    2. She wasn't even sparring Podrick with Oathkeeper. It's clear that's a bs, sparring sword. Look at the handle in DD's video...it's not the bejeweled Oathkeeper
    3. It's already been established that Valyrian steel swords don't slice other swords like butter. Not sure where you came up with that, but no one complained before.
      • See Brienne saving Sansa and Reek last season.
      • Or, in episodes of The Book, see Jon in every fight with Longclaw, like in Hardhome blocking a full swing, then landing a full swing on a White Walker sword.

This is Longclaw too. No slicing other swords like butter

And Bri with Oathbreaker. No butter scenes

#944 heypartner, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sorry, Hotpie. Right? Lol. When he popped back up I'm like hey its the fat kid.

LAM likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hot Pie is the GOAT. In the books he gets caught in a sword fight and yells "HOT PIE!!!" as he's fighting people off.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's unreal. Mid season episodes are virtually never higher than premiers this late in a series run, on top of the leak.

The thing about this series that has been so crazy is that they were able to keep their biggest cards in their back pocket for 6 seasons, and never have a drop off in quality. Almost all of the primary players in the actual "Game of Thrones" for the first 6 seasons are history. Now Jon Snow, Dany and the White walkers, who have really been just on the periphery of the series never impacting the chase for the throne, are coming into the fray.

The 800 characters they have been following are all converging, creating these huge meetings and battles that they've been building up. The first 6 seasons were a glorified pre show just setting up this insane main event, and they have delivered in big way. Almost every scene this season would have been the highlight of episodes in past seasons. At least 3 or 4 "oh s**t, this is happening" moments every episode.

Seriously, it feels like Rockets playoff games in terms of anticipation for Sunday.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are being ridiculous

1) I am not even a book reader let alone a book hugger
    2) you can create the divided fleet theory but you can't make it stick. We've seenEeuron's personal ship at every location. If there is a divided fleet we've only seen half of it so far. His ship has been at every incident and we've seen him personally st 3/4. Your defense of that logic is just pitiful.
    3) don't know where anyone has used grrm as a defense for anything
    4) I don't think anyone has said it's impossible for the gold to make it to kings landing? It is a funny plot device though that allows cersei to continue to have power

Again, enough with your lame book huggers comments. I don't know how many people here are actually book readers but the commentary about logic is very rarely book dependent.

#949 justtxyank, Aug 8, 2017
    fba34 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Is Valyrian steel really supposed to slice through regular steel? I know it's supposed to be stronger and lighter, but if it can really just slice through regular swords in the books "like butter" then that is a change that the show is better off for making.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Don't have a dragon -- not even a dog -- in this fight, but I think I understand those saying "give us a break" to those criticizing logic problems in a show like Game of Thrones.

I mean... in the last episode, a lone person was able to point a super-crossbow at a fast-flying dragon and actually hit it. The notion that a big wooden device could simulatenously be steady enough (even while launching with incredible force) but nimble enough to accomplish that really defies the basic ideas of engineering mechanics, IMHO.

There's also no way the dragon could have SO much flaming venom in its body, unless its trunk was the size of a Saturn five S-I stage and then it's wings would need to be the size of Houston's loop 610. LOL.

But so what, it was amazing to watch. I wasn't even thinking about all that crap during the battle, and thank god.

Meanwhile, I guess the previous seasons were a *little* more logical or systematic, so I understand why the new stuff is grating to some people as well.

Damn though, I'm impressed overall. Narrative is really really really hard to pull off and they're doing a great job. To me, by comparison, season 7 is much more engaging than the Jackson-led Return of the King, which also followed an ensemble with varying plot lines.

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I just rewatched the 4th episode. I didn't really notice Littlefinger's reaction to Bran's "Chaos is a ladder" line the first time. He freaked the f**k out. I'm still not sure he understands how much Bran can see. I mean, he does mention something about how Bran can see everything now but then freaks out when Bran quotes him from conversations with other people. Dude, he sees EVERYTHING.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. justtxyank

Just want to say that I think there is a difference between logic issues. I don't really get hung on things that are clearly ridiculous but just have to be that way for the show to work. Example, Rickon running in a straight line. It's really stupid that he did that, especially once the air was in the air. However, so what. If it hadn't been done by arrow they could have just slit his throat. It was meant to create a tense scene, I get it. I think that, or your (accurate lol) issue with the giant crossbow, are different from Euron's fleet of Millennium Falcons, which was only posted as a "LOL can you believe this" to which heypartner has decided to White Knight for the show and start mocking people.

14. justtxyank

He's probably thinking "yeah sure, he can see everything uh huh, yeah..." but never really thought he COULD see everything. It's kind of like how Christians believe God sees EVERYTHING and you'll see posts on Facebook about how he's watching and stuff when they talk about what someone else does, or karma, but they never think about karma coming back for the things THEY do or worse...lol...God ACTUALLY watches YOU too.

Kruze10 likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, if you really want to get picky, why not question Dany's decision not to fly up behind the Lannister / Tarly forces and blowtorch them by semi-stealth? Or why put herself in harm's way, like, "Yeah, Bronn, how's this for a target?"

As Lawrence and Sharif Ali argued, "There are guns at Aqaba." "They point toward the sea. They can't be turned round." Bronn's weapon didn't look very mobile. You almost had to want to be hit.

Again, she could have just flown behind Bronn and roasted him and the scorpion and served him up at Black's BBQ in Lockhart, Texas with some of that nice pepper barbeque sauce.

Still, I was surprised by how many reviewers of the episode were rooting against Dany and/or her dragon.

That was the point. Dany sneak-attack from behind, as I suggest? Cowardly b****. Dany flying over the Dothraki warriors at full tilt? Priceless.

16. justtxyank

I'm not. Jamie is a better tv character than Dany by far. Dany has been whiny and entitled from day one with a pretty poor script. It also hurts her that most of her narrative took place on a different continent and never felt like it mattered. Everyone was always just waiting for her to finish up over there and come over here. But as a character, why do we root for her? Hotness, feminism and the badass dragons. Not really anything about her character as portrayed on scene right? I think most viewers are much more emotionally invested in Jamie.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Dany wasn't entitled at the start of the series. She was sold off for her brother to get an army. She was raped by her husband. She got her husband to love her and she love him. She freed thousands of slaves. She was kind, often to a fault (resulting in the deaths of her husband & child). Because of how those choices continue to backfire on her, she is becoming more and more like vile rulers Westeros has come to know.

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

My comment was made tongue in cheek, but from what I understand Valyrian steel is suppose to be sharper and stronger than normal steel.

Pretty sure they have practical use and not just some prized rarity.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Drogon would had to take a very wide circle around to come from behind and not be seen. And anyways Dany wanted clear a path for her Dothraki to come through, without hitting them with friendly fire. Bronn looked like he had a good handle of the scorpion and maneuvering it, reloading was the timekiller. Its not like Dany is an expert military dragon rider like Aegon.

As far as Dany, I think the interest in her is somewhat like the Stark children, young naive high born who had a fairytale vision of what life is and had to grow very quickly to adjust to the real world. Viewers may pull for her because she's tried to do the right thing up until this point. Plus the dragons and maybe t&a.

#959 v3.0, Aug 8, 2017
  20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

[​IMG]