1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol.

KD was texting with Warriors players throughout last season, and IMMEDIATELY after the Warriors lost in the Finals texting with Draymond saying let's go, let's do this.

I'm pretty sure Jerry West' name didn't come up.

Nonetheless, I think it's a good pickup for the Clippers.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, you have to give Steve Ballmer (sp?) credit. He wants to keep the party going.

I don't know if it will keep the roster together. Some of those guys have massive paydays coming to them.

Still, let's watch with curiosity about Chris Paul. The Clips will probably back up the Brinks truck to keep him. I think (referencing other thread) that he isn't the ace card hidden in the sleeve.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is a slight misquote on you. Yes this was absolutely said and it made me think of our offense as well, but they were talking specifically about after an offensive rebound or a play breaking down. Instead of spreading it out, which is what he is used to and what we do and pretty much every team in the league does, they decide to run picks and screens immediately.

That's a part of what makes them so damn elite. After a breakdown or rebound they all automatically start running these new sets rather than spacing the floor and regathering. That takes a lot of IQ and chemistry TBH.

Hopefully it's wrinkles that we add to our offense this summer.

And if you honestly think all we do is run one play over and over you need to start paying more attention. The offense is built around PnR but there is some serious levels of different sets. Golden state predominantly runs PnR also. What separates them is "after standing in the corner for a few seconds, make a cut or a screen".

That's why they have the greatest offense.

BHannes2BHonest and DonKnock like this.
  4. JayZ750

They have no other choice to keep the party going.
    Ballmer paid like $2 billion for the team... and its a team that doesn't even come with its own arena.
    Not that Ballmer is suffering money wise.

And money aside, assuming their goal is to win, you can't just let assets walk for nothing. The Rockets lost Dwight and Parsons for nothing, and both instances really really ultimately hurt the team.

If Clippers resign everybody and still fail, at least then they have some assets to trade. I mean the Celtics got a massive haul for incredibly aging superstars. That kind of stupidity probably isn't out there anymore, but some team would give the Clippers something for CP3 and/or Blake in the future.

It's hard to imagine the Clippers not offering max to both CP3 and Blake...

EXCEPT the addition of West might actually make them a bit more prudent... the only more prudent move i can see making some sense would be pursuing sign and trade type deals... eg. offer a sign and trade of Blake to the Pacers for PG... but of course, in a sign and trade, they'd have to get Blake on board with that, and why would he be on board with that?? Maybe sign and trade to the Celtics for Crowder, Bradley, Zeller and Brown. Why would the Celtics do that? Well, they could perhaps make the cap room to sign Hayward, then sign and trade for Blake, and have IT, Fultz, Hayward, Blake, Horford, Smart, Rozier...

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think Jerry West might just blow it all up in LA. It probably cost the Balmer some couch change but I'm sure it came with promises of control.

6. JayZ750

I'm not sure I misquoted it really. Yes, that's how they got into the conversation. But ultimately it was about what their offense strives to do, which is create confusion for defenses.

As for the IQ required, the chemistry required, and the Rockets running one play. Again, certainly the Rockets mix in some "plays", like the Gordon slip up the middle screen, double high post screens, etc. But ultimately, because its a one play action set with spreading the court otherwise... it is effectively, the same play. Which is how to get a switch out top, with Harden with the ball, for him to either drive and score, drive and oop, or drive and pass to a 3 point shooter.

And to be fair... this isn't bad, per se. the Rockets' regular season offense was historic. Partly because this is the exact type of offense best suited for Harden. But with time to prepare, against great defenses, it clearly becomes easier to scheme against. Now, obviously Anderson shooting better than 28% from 3 in the playoffs would have helped... but I also don't think Anderson just had a slump... it had to do somewhat with the defenses they were going against.

In either case, adding more motion SHOULDN'T take a lot of complex basketball IQ. I played organized ball through high school. Wasn't good enough for college. But even our basic high school offensive set had more motion than the Rockets offense. Cause it was a basic read and react motion set. The ballhandler would start with 2 or 3 options, take one, which you as the other players would have to read and react to, and then you'd be at step 2 which itself had 2 or 3 options off of it, which would take you to step 3, which itself would have 2 or 3 options off of it, etc. Meaning the PG, or ballhandler could hit an open wing player, OR take a screen by a big to the other side, or take his defender to the hole... and if he passed it to the wing, he had a general area to go to, while the bigs had some secondary picks they'd do, and based on what the wing player then did, there'd be more action off of it. And at first it was here are your 2 or 3 options you "have" to take but by mid season its all read and react.

This is high school ball. Granted, 20 yeas ago, and maybe the proliferation of AAU and players with some much attention mean we have a bunch of players who don't understand motion offenses these days..??

The Bulls won 6 rings with a motion triangle offense. The Lakers won 5 rings with a motion triangle offense. The Spurs won 5 rings with a motion, passing based offense. The Warriors are now 2 for 3 with a motion based offense. The Lakers and Celtics of the 80's had plenty of motion in their offensive sets.

It's not the only way. Lebron's rings have not been motion heavy. Hakeem's Rockets weren't motion heavy. They were both more draw a double, hit the open guy, swing the ball. Now I'd argue both those teams still had more motion than the Rockets offense. More cutting. The Rockets would cut strongly off an post entry pass. They would have a cutter in Horry, Drexler and Maxwell. And more importantly, both Hakeem and Lebron are another level above Harden... and MOST importantly, both those guys stress defense and had great defensive squads.

... just some thoughts.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Golden State actually uses the pick-and-roll the least among all the teams in the league.

Golden State obviously uses pick and rolls, too, but the club relies on them less than any team in basketball. Instead, the Warriors prefer to confuse their opponents by setting screens away from the ball, a strategy the Dubs used 400 times more in the regular season than the next-closest team.​

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-beautiful-chaos-of-the-warriors-offense/

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I agree that West didn't impact the Warriors the way that he impacted the Lakers and KD would have likely gone there anyway, but there was actually some chatter that West's pitch last year really resonated with KD. If you've heard KD on podcasts/etc... this year, one of his biggest pet peeves is being pegged as a scorer rather than an all-around player. This probably also hit close to home for KD: "West spoke to Durant from the perspective of an all-time great player who kept falling short of winning an NBA championship. Although West won a title with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1972, he lost in his first seven trips to the NBA Finals and finished 1-8 in the Finals overall. West, 78, told Durant those losses still eat at him to this day, according to sources."

9. JayZ750

Thank you. Great article.
    It's not the only way to have great offense... but its notable that they have some of the best 1 on 1 offensive players on the planet and still choose to play this way, and dominate even more in doing so.

Maybe it's just me. I maximized a pretty useless athletic skill set by constantly trying to do things like set back-door screens, run curls, run off screens, etc. on the playground. I certainly recall many a clearly better player waving me off, looking at me crazily...

But when I watch the Warriors... it doesn't strike me as "man, this is some complex ****, they must have put some time into this" as much as "this is just how you play basketball. Move, cut, screen, repeat"

JoeBarelyCares and vj23k like this.
  10. JayZ750

No doubt.

I'm just pointing out that KD the Warriors was well in the works, and likely frankly a done deal, BEFORE he took any of the meetings.

See the Draymond interview on I believe Jimmy Kimmel from last night. Draymond was texting KD from the locker room after the Game 7 loss. KD was replying as if he was ready to roll with GSW. Fast forward to a few days ago when KD is brazenly painting Zach Lowe's reporting this happened as "false news" and not true. Basically it's KD outright lying to try and maintain an image of what we now know to not be true.

In any case, West to Clippers can't be anything other than agood hire.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

KD is such a soft beta b****.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hmmmm :cool:

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

would be nice if Rockets is in development. Otherwise, there is no fit. Nor would Paul be interested anyway.

14. BigMaloe

I definitely want to see more motion and if the ball movement. Off ball screens for cutters and 3pt looks would help out a lot.

Interesting that they run the PnR the least I recall watching a bunch of picks so maybe they don't actually roll or pop as much as just try and switch the defender guarding the ball handler to further confuse the defense guarding the motion.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I wish Woj didn't even mention us

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The fit can work if they make it work. People said the same thing about Lebron pairing with Wade, and Lebron with Kylie. Even with Durant going to GS.

Each guy may have the ball less than accustomed to but that would be best in the long run.

17. BigMaloe

LMAO...

Fuucking Steven a Smith, Chris broussard, Ramona anybody, ANYBODY!! and it's "multiple sauces" "doesn't mean shiit unless woj says it" "will believe it when woj says it"

Woj actually mentions us, and he does not speculate, it is built on actual knowledge and/or rumblings and inside sources.

Clutchfans - "why even mention us"

This dude is the holy grail of inside NBA sources and knowledge. He doesn't bullshiit around. And still this community isn't happy but rather mad at this news.

Just absurd.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Paul expected to meet with Clippers, Spurs, Rockets & Nuggets

Paul, who has until June 29 to let the Clippers know his decision, can earn $205 million over five years with L.A., or $152 million over four years with another team.

The Clippers have recently become “nervous” about the reports that San Antonio will make a big push to get Paul and that the point guard has interest in talking to and possibly joining the Spurs, said one executive who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Paul also has plans to talk with the Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets, one executive said.

Griffin can sign a five-year deal worth $175 million with L.A., or sign a four-year deal worth $130 million with another team. The Boston Celtics and Oklahoma City Thunder are two teams that will make a bid for Griffin, according to several executives.​

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Clippers are trying so hard to get me to like them.. and it's working! Hope CP sticks it out with them and doesn't leave for the Spurs. **** those guys

20. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Also credit him for Draymond, McCaw, and stopping the Klay 4 Love trade