1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm sorry it's over. On to 2017-18.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 12, 2017.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The world isn't binary, Dwight used to be a good post player, simply because he could blow by people, often ending in a dunk. Shaq literally had 2 moves, but because of his size, power and athleticism, he was exceptional. How is Jordan and Kobe relevant, you're talking about guys who were 6'6, they lack the physical requisites to have any other type of post game, it certainly looked nothing like Shaq's lol

It's not about each input, it's about the sum of those inputs and how they transfer to outputs, i wouldn't trust Shaq outside 3 feet, but i'd still take his post game over tons of players who can shoot from 15. Dwight's post game was good when Dwight was super human athletically, because that athleticism was enough to cover up the weaknesses, once he lost that athleticism, not so much. .

2. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

Dillon brooks would be a awesome pick in the second round. very talented player!!

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Right, automatically discount the only real evidence we have of harden playing with real stars, and substitute the evidence of him not wanting to play with a has-been Dwight.

Then our analysis will be unbiased and make total sense!

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sorry, but you're simply wrong about Dwight. He's never been a good post player. He would occasionally blow by people for a dunk, but those were few and far between. The vast majority of his post shot attempts ended in a mechanical jump hook.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Correct. Harden's OKC years are irrelevant. He came off the bench and was 3rd on the totem pole. Totally irrelevant to the player he is now. A good analogy would be Kobe's early years with Shaq. They got along when Kobe had a beta role, but when Kobe wanted to be an alpha, they feuded and the Lakers were forced to trade Shaq.

In other words, just because Harden co-existed with alpha stars when he was a beta doesn't mean he can do the same as an alpha.

Alpha Harden's only star teammate has been Dwight, and as such, its logical to use Dwight as evidence. The fact that you didn't like the outcome doesn't negate its relevance.

#125 wekko368, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. Aleron

When he was in Orlando, he had one of the higher ppp's on post plays in the nba (0.9 ppp and up, that's the range of some of the very good post players, league average is a bit below 0.8), he could drop base line and one step dunk from 5 feet, it forced defenders to so over play him it would get him a health bunch of walk in dunks the other way despite it being his weakness. Then after his injury it was down around 0.78 in LA, then 0.75 here, then in the 0.6 range, ending up around 0.4 ppp. The loss of athleticism was especially bad for him because he's undersized.

There was just so many reasons why he was better then, he could jump into his shots, so his mechanical hook shot was from a higher position, jumping into his opponent so closer to the rim, he would get so many more dunks, he was even a bit less likely to turn to turn it over despite getting significantly more double teams because he could enter the motion before any help could come, etc etc

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. basketballholic

No question Dwight has declined and it shows on the offensive end while not showing nearly as much on the defensive end. But he's still got great mitts for catching the ball. And he's still got a nack for sealing his man all the way low at the basket.

When a big does that the ball handler has to throw him the ball immediately. It's an automatic foul or a basket.

Dwight also is still very good on the post when he throws the ball to cutters. He's a good passer with his back to the basket.

It's unfortunate that him and Harden couldn't get it together while they were together. Those two really cost us in our efforts time build a championship team. They set the franchise back.

But that's over.

This thread is about how to build a championship team. I simply can't imagine a scenario where we'd get Dwight back and try to make a go of it again. But I'd trade Anderson for Dwight every day of the week. And it would help most of the posters here if they understood that's Dwight defensive value to us exceeded and exceeds Anderson's offensive value to us.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Where'd you get this info?
    Just curious.
    Thanks!

9. Aleron

1:30 has lakers dwight (though it includes the 4-0 playoff loss), about 2 mins has orlando dwight (0.93 inc playoffs)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-the-rockets-should-stop-posting-up-dwight-howard/ is houston year 1 dwight

he started year 2 over 0.8 but then the knee issues, his last year here, it used to be on

http://stats.nba.com/players/post-u...=Regular Season&CF=TeamNameAbbreviation*E*HOU

i can't for the life of me figure out why he was removed, because he certainly met the criteria of 10 min game and 10 attempts for the season (unless there was a manual request to the nba).

With Atlanta,. he dropped his post ups to a low rate of decent shots and it's back up.

10. basketballholic

So continuing on to the next step. Remember the first step. Find a small playmaker that is quick, can get low and attack the dribble of guys like Steph defensively, and can shoot the ball and make plays. Frank Mason checks all those boxes.

Next find a cheap salary big man that will improve our paint defense and rebounding substantially. So here's some possible targets:

1. The draft

Jordan Bell
    - this is my number one target. Yes, he's a rookie and unproven. I understand that. But I'm not viewing him as the ultimate answer. I'm viewing Bell as a rotation contributor that can improve our defense and rebounding without costing us very much money fur the next four years and helping us create more cap space for both this off-season and the following three summers IF he can be a productive rotation piece.

So the question concerning Bell is can he be a positive rotation contributor early in his rookie season? And grow from there? The answer is a resounding yes.

Simple eye test for you. Watch Bell play. Watch his explosion. Watch his quickness on D. Watch him run in transition, late in games. Watch him defend, hold his man, switch outside, switch inside, help weakside, etc. Comprehend his skills and his motor. Then watch footage of Capela and Nene. Then ask yourself which player he most closely resembles?

We should get Bell on this team even if it costs us Capela. He is uniquely gifted and is the perfect fit for a modern NBA big. He is another guy we need to beat Golden State. And we cannot afford for him to go to one of our Western Conference competitors.

But all that means nothing to you if you haven't seen him play. You have to see and understand Bell is a defensive force. He's the best defender in this draft.

Ok, on to the others. Just remember this about Bell. If we don't get him you'd better hope he either winds up in the East or perhaps on a lottery team in the West that has no clue what they're doing.

Jonah Bolden - He's really a 4 but he's a two-way four that can switch and get up and down. Not in the same category defensively as Bell. At least not yet. But he's a huge upgrade to Anderson defensively along with his myriad of offensive tools. He's ranked low in the second. I hope he sleeps and we can nab him as well. But I suspect he'll catch fire when he starts working out for teams. He's as ready a any other big in this draft you contribute to a rotation immediately. Would love to have him in the second on a dirt cheap contract for next 4 years.

2. Low budget free-agent options

* Ekpe Udoh - I'm putting a star next to his name because I don't know how low budget he's actually going to be. But, he's the best pick-and-roll defending big available in free agency. If the oeuvre were right, say part of the MLE, he's a no-brainer signing.

Aron Baynes - another vet big that will probably be offered a big money deal but he's a quality defender and rebounder. He'd be a great value signing at $8 mill or less per.

Khem Birch - undersized pick-and-roll big with great athleticism and quickness. Reads the pick-and-roll well defensively, more than willing to switch and take on the challenge of perimeter players, and is very good at it.

He will be more affordable than Udoh in free agency. And he's a serious upgrade to Harrell defensively and on the glass. And honestly, in pick-and-roll defense, which is extremely important in today's NBA, he's much better than Capela there.

We could sign him relatively cheap and he'd be a rotation upgrade. He's really ideally suited to be the second big behind the starting big. I'd be very comfortable starting Nene and bringing him off the bench behind Nene and trading Capela.

Nicolo Melli - undersized, average athletic 4/5 who has made himself a player. Has developed all his skills very well. Is a Swiss Army knife offensively. And that all that needs to be said. He can make all the plays including handling and dishing. Not spectacular, but efficient. Defensively, he's undersized and under athletic. But he's very strong and moves his feet very well. Won't block a lot of shots. But will make shooters change the shot and miss. Just a solid, extremely versatile big man you could bring off the bench. A significant upgrade to both Anderson and Harrell. And he might be signable for a smaller contract.

Dewayne Dedmon - If he were a cheap signing he'd be a great addition. But wouldn't want to over pay for him. Sold defensive and rebounding big.

Jeff Withey - a pogo stick big with quick feet and good length. Severely underrated defensively and lacking opportunity in Utah. If he could be signed cheap he'd be a great value addition and could easily be a rotation upgrade in the middle.

3. Trades - I'm going to list just a few trade that would possibly be doable and would be great improvements to our paint defense and rebounding while not destroying our cap situation. These are non-superstar trades.

Brook Lopez - not a switching big most definitely. But if Lopez were playing alongside small quick guards that could and would consistently fight over the pick then his insane length would become a plus at the rim. If, if, if we could combine Bev and Mason that would be a full 48 minutes of tough defense at the point of attack. Lopez would thrive defensively in that environment. Will never be a great rebounder. But if he's on the floor with other guys that are instinctive on the glass, he'll do his part by occupying two opponents. Lopez' individual rebounding deficiencies are way overstated. For his career his team has won or held even the rebounding factor 52% of the time he was on-court.

I think we could possibly acquire Lopez for Anderson's contract and maybe a future second.

And some of you would say Lopez is a superstar. But I don't view him that way.

Richuan Holmes - If Philly uses all their picks and brings in another pile of kids I think we could trade for Holmes fit a future first. Might seen excessive but that first would be a late first AND we may be able times squeeze a second out of Philly with Holmes. He's a great fit at the 5 for us. And we'd have three summers of a low cap hit for his contract before we'd have to pay him.

Boban Marjanovic - would cost a future first. Perhaps SVG would consider Lou and a couple future seconds. His insane length and skulls are very similar to Lopez. Combine him with a couple guards that fight over picks and his length changes everything in the defensive paint. He's actually faster up and down than given credit fit and he has great offensive tools. One of the top five best offensive low post bigs in the Association. And that witted be very important when the playoffs roll around and games become half court affairs.

==================================

This is just a few of the options possibly at our disposal to improve our paint defense and rebounding issues that would represent a base fix that could become something greater with a superstar acquisition to go along with one of these little moves.

#130 basketballholic, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Deuce and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  11. basketballholic

Here's Lil' Mace burning the nets off.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD.

SAD.

Ps: Still waiting on the Josh Harrellson and Spencer videos.

13. basketballholic

Here's the guy that we need to trade into the first round and get:

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

followed bell a bit this year. definitely has that athleticism but I can't help but think he's just another thomas robinson coming into the league

15. basketballholic

Mmmmm, no.

This guy is a defensive monster. I would not be surprised if a lottery team figured it out and drafted him.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely dont see him going that high but well see who may take a chance on him later in the draft

17. basketballholic

He may last to mid-twenties. I'll be surprised if he gets past Nets.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

still on the board. is he still going to be out there with 13 more picks.

hes definitely going to have to earn his spot. no surprise there

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Damnit I saw this thread was bumped and I thought this weeks newsletter was available

topfive likes this.
  20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Here's your insider!