1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs. Bengals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Perrin

Perrin Member

was that the Texas Tech defense playing for us today?

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

ummmmmmmmmm no

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Lil Francis touched on it...but I must expound.

How are those CBS announcers getting paid to do that job?? That was absolutely the worst. They contradicted themselves at every turn...my favorite was, "The Texans have made huge strides on offense from last season and are the 4th rated offense in the entire AFC."...followed closely by, "This is a team that has struggled offensively all season....they're going to have to break out of this rut."

Then there was the time the announcer was talking about how David Carr was finding his tight end a lot more in the past few weeks....uh...no. David didn't even play last week when Miller had 4 receptions...before that, Carr was not throwing to Miller much...and certainly not as much as he did last season, particularly early last season.

Tasker sounds absolutely lost. I know this guy played football...but there were times where I thought he made zero sense at all...particularly given the context.

Did anybody else notice that??

oh, yeah...and it sucks when we lose.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I didn't pay to much attention to the announcers the only thing I really noticed was they kept saying KC would lose to Cincy next week. I don't recall ever hearing announcers make predictions for future games, they usually say something like KC better be careful next week b/c cicny is capable of pulling off the upset, but they flat out said Cincy would win. I thought that was odd.

5. Perrin

Perrin Member

Did you notice when the Texans were driving for the TD that tied it at 17 right before the half, that the idiots (CBS guys) keep saying "Texans driving for the lead" "Texans score to take the lead!"

its like they had no clue what was going on...

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It'll be nice when this team is good in a few years. Maybe we can get some better announcers assigned to us. Right now, we get the bottom of the barrel because we're still and "expansion team".

It could be worse, Max. We could get those 3 imbeciles that do the Sunday night ESPN games. I don't think it gets much worse than those morons.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This was just plain terrible...I know its a 2-year old franchise, but we can't make that excuse every damn game...

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What about when the Texans tied the game at 17 and then the announcer said "And the Texans have just taken the lead"

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

My bad Perrin. I just noticed you had already brought the 17-17 thing up.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There was one toward either the end of the first half or the game on a play where a team might challenge the call and Tasker said that the challenge had to come from upstairs because of how much time was left, even though there was 2:17 left. Then, he comes back and says, "Just like I said, the Texans can't challenge because they have no timeouts". Uh, no you didn't you igit.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

there's a reason why Steve Tasker and Don Criqui were doing the Texans/Bengals game. A year or two from now, we'll get announcers who don't talk out of their ass.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Comeback King

By John Elway
    Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 16, 2001) -- I don't get out to see many college football games in person, but I was lucky enough to be on hand for a great one last weekend.

In front of a sold-out crowd at Colorado State, Fresno State kept its undefeated season alive after getting a game-tying field goal on the last play of regulation and then winning it in overtime.

I was very impressed with Fresno State quarterback David Carr, who engineered that game-tying drive in the closing minutes. He's a great quarterback -- he moves around real well, makes all the throws and plays with a lot of confidence. He was a lot of fun to watch.

He's got all the tools, and I anticipate him being a top pick in next year's draft.

I was at the game rooting for CSU. Colorado State coach Sonny Lubick was a good friend of my dad's (they coached together at San Jose State and Stanford), and this would have been a great victory for their program. But Carr showed that he not only has all the tools, but he has the heart to figure out how to win football games.

They had 38 seconds to go and it took Carr three plays to get down there into field-goal range. To me, that's what tells you the most about a quarterback. You can have all the talent in the world, but the bottom line is figuring out how to get it done. It gives you a really good idea of what kind of player he's going to be. It showed me that he's got not only great talent but great heart. He never quits, always keeps fighting.

Now, I've been fortunate enough to participate in some great comebacks, but it's not often that I've witnessed them. I saw Joe Montana when he did it against us here at Mile High Stadium, but I haven't had a chance to see a whole lot of those. It was exciting to watch a kid with great talent do it.

When a quarterback can do that, the fans always feel like they're in it. They feel they can win a game no matter how badly they play early, no matter where they are, no matter how much time is left.

It's exciting that a David Carr can put that into the hearts of Fresno State fans. The greatest compliment for a quarterback is that your fans will always have hope that you can bring them back and figure out a way to win.

And it all starts with the first one. I don't know if Carr has ever had a come-from-behind victory like this before, but you've got to start somewhere. That first one's always so important because all of a sudden that confidence is there.

Once you've done it before, you start thinking you can do it all the time, which is a good feeling. And that helps the whole football team, because they start believing that as long as there's time left on that clock, they'll find a way to win.

The first late-game comeback that I really remember was in my rookie year against the Baltimore Colts. We were down 19-0 and we scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to win, 21-19.

That one definitely ranks among my five most memorable comeback victories. For the record, here's the breakdown:

My favorite fourth-quarter comebacks
    1. Denver 23, Cleveland 20: 1986 AFC Championship Game, Jan. 11, 1987 -- We went 98 yards and tied the game with 37 seconds left, then won it in overtime. The greatest thing about "The Drive" was that it kind of legitimized me as a player. It was my fourth year in the league, and to be able to do it in that type of game, on the road, it was kind of like my coming-out party. A springboard to the rest of my career.

2. Denver 26, Houston 24: 1991 AFC Divisional Playoff Game, Jan. 4, 1992 -- We didn't go 98 yards, but it was still a big victory. Converted two fourth downs in a 78-yard drive that set up the game-winning field goal with 20 seconds left.

3. Denver 20, Kansas City 19: Oct. 4, 1992 -- We scored two touchdowns against the Chiefs with two minutes to go. We were down 19-6 and scored to make it 19-13, got the ball back and scored the game-winning TD with 38 seconds left.

4. Denver 21, Baltimore 19: Dec. 11, 1983 -- There were some harsh feelings my rookie year because of the situation in which the Colts had drafted me and then traded me. We played the Colts twice that season. The first meeting was in Baltimore -- we won that game, but I didn't feel real welcome. So to have them come back to Denver and beat them after being down 19-0 was real gratifying.

5. Denver 38, Washington 31: Sept. 17, 1995 -- We beat Washington on the last play of the game on a touchdown catch by Rod Smith. It was Rod's first NFL touchdown -- and it was his first career reception, period! He has really become one of the best, if not the best, receivers in the NFL since then.