1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: "The Rockets do not scare anyone"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 11, 2017.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I look at D'Antoni 's offensive philosophy and to me it's the basketball equivalent of football's "Run-n-Shoot" which turned out to be a "gimmick' offense that didn't win you a title. While I'm not quite ready to write them off just yet - especially since they are playing a flawed team in OKC - but I'm not bursting with confidence either. I just haven't seen a team that plays so little defense win it all which gives me great pause as to their actual chances to make the NBA Finals.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No one can beat us when our 3s are falling. If they dont fall , everyone can beat us... Same with every other team in the playoffs except GSW..

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I always liked your posts when I was a regular; good to hear from you again.

4. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

I believe the rockets are a much better team than okc but they did have very close games this season... they best step it on nov-dec rockets style

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm pretty sure teams would rather face the clippers than the rockets in the playoffs, so just by that alone Barkley's statement is wrong. You think OKC isn't scared of the Rox and think they're gonna be advancing to round 2? Hell, the main reason everyone there is on board with pumping up Westbrick's stats is cuz they know they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. Just by that alone Barkley is wrong, as is always the case. He's not only dumb, he's also a Rocket hater which actually makes him twice as dumb other other dumb people out there.

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Just lol @ "Barkley makes sense". Christ.

I don't know where this conception that the Rockets don't play any defense came from... They were top 10 in defensive efficiency during much of the season. When Capela went down, they took a dip. And then as they got close to locking up the third seed (as in they knew moving either up or down was unlikely), they took another somewhat understandable dip.

As it stands, they have finished the year as a fairly average rebounding and defensive team, and I expect they will bring their A game in the playoffs and be better than average (or maybe just slightly below average for a playoff team). When you combine that with their offense? Yeah, we're absolutely a scary team, and I very much doubt that OKC would rather play us than either of the 4/5 seeds who limped into the playoffs (LAC was beating up on teams that had nothing to play for the last week).

I mean you really think the Clippers are better than us? After the way we destroyed them all year? After how much they struggled against all the elites?

I remember people (including "pundits" like Barkley) were saying almost literally the exact same nonsense back in 2015 before we stomped the Mavepricks back into the chamber of hell that they came out of.

#106 SuperMarioBro, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Remember when Barkley said the Grizzlies were the 3rd best team in the west?

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

by "anyone", he means 3 out of 30 NBA teams. What an accurate statement (if true).:rolleyes:

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is 2017 and people are still talking and taking Chuck seriously. The guy is an entertainer and he says controversial stuff all the time. 24x7

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There's a lot of irony in this post. The run and shoot offense was way ahead of its time in the NFL. The Oilers didn't succeed with it because of personnel and coaching and also because of the way teams were built at the time, but the offense they used has pretty much become a standard of modern day NFL offenses and created the West Coast offense which has won super bowls for other teams since that time.

Similarly, the MDA offense may not have been successful when he was at Phoenix but there were other factors too. What we're seeing today in the NBA more closely resembles what MDA was doing in Phoenix, though. If you look at Golden State and Cleveland, both of these teams use this style offense in today's game. Both of those teams proved that you can win while taking a crap ton of outside shots.

The main difference is that winning a title in the NBA relies more heavily on how much talent you have and how that talent is geared to the system being used. If you don't have talented players, you're not going to win in the NBA but that isn't such a fault of the system as much as it is circumstance or front office work.

Greg Popovich came out and publicly admitted that he changed his offensive philosophy much based on what MDA did while he was in Phoenix. The league in general has adapted to this as well.

If the Rockets don't win it all this year it won't be because the system, it will be because we simply do not have enough star power to match up to the likes of GSW or SAS, teams that feature multiple all-stars and HOF players on the rosters.

If you go back to our first championship teams in 94/95 we took an absurd number of three pointers with those teams as well and it ended up working out for us.

#110 Tha_Dude, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

In the clip above Chuck said (towards the end) that he had been thinking about the Rockets all weekend.

Closet Rockets fan confirmed.

AroundTheWorld and topfive like this.
  13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Can les just pay him what we owed him 22 years ago.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

never.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rockets can advance without being scary.

Horror flicks do not get to move on every time.

Moreyball has a chance.

TheRealist137, topfive and Tha_Dude like this.
  16. LAM

LAM Member

That's how Les was able to do $1 beer/dog night. At this point just send CB4 some .

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so now dekker is a lethal weapon for pop-a-zit & cornrows to have to contend with too.....harden's just spoiled for choice out there it's just not fair we're like the steinbrenner yankeeez of the league bring back the anti-trust monopoly lawz!

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Kapow has no help now?!! it's spreading! uh oh..

Furthermore, Rockets all of sudden the greatest team ever assembled!!! #blessed

BigShasta likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

OKC didn't beat us when shots were not falling

RiceRockets likes this.