1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

United volunteers to kick people off plane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YuleC, Apr 10, 2017.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The problem isn't really what they are legally allowed to do, UA should have more sense to realize how much of a cluster**** this can potentially become if violence and force is used over just a pissed off passenger for something like overbooking.

They should have just sucked it up and offered bumped the offer until someone voluntarily left, what did they think was going to come out of this if the marshals and police are told to forcibly remove the passenger with 100 cameras out.

Sure they guy was being a baby about it, but if I'm a company I would avoid any situation that would cause any more PR headaches, especially over something so trivial.

2. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

If they overbook they need to offer more money till some people accept. $800? Move to $1500, $2500.
    Keep going higher till someone accepts the free tickets and/or cash.

You overbook and then force people at random to get up is really terrible though this guy was acting
    goofy as well making them drag him out.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Southwest has he highest involuntary removal rate amongst major airlines.

As to this story, I'll be curious to get my father in law's perspective. He's a United pilot that flies out of Chicago.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That may be true but I doubt the involuntary removals were handled AFTER the passengers were already on the plane.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Why are people so sure that the guy will win if he sues? They asked him to leave and he refused. Last time I checked UA is a private company and can refuse service to anyone as long as it's not discriminatory.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

i have no idea if he will win a lawsuit. who knows what the fine print legalize says or what a jury will think. I do know kicking someone off for your own employees is really bad business.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I highly doubt united would want to fight this and let the story drag out even longer.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I doubt they want to settle and reward people disregarding crew commands.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure big companies really love bad PR. It's one of their most favorite things ever.

Especially when you, the gold club carrying member who is loyal... will stay loyal even if they manage to inadvertantetly kill somebody.... are in the cast minority of the public perception.

As I said, nothing was illegal... but it's a **** stain of a story that looks shittier the longer it goes on

12. dback816

dback816 Member

That was brutal to watch.

But since the passenger is Asian, this will all be swept under the rug soon and everyone will forget it happened. Phew

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This happens often. 99.9999999999% of the time it does not result in WWE Hell In A Cell.

SW also has the 2nd highest satisfaction rating among domestic airlines. When they screw up, they make people whole in my experience.

Criminal lawsuit? No.

Civil lawsuit? Hell yes.

United dun goofed, and if it weren't for that goof, this situation never would have happened or escalated.

The dude suffered because of United's crappy business ethics/practices, and a jury full of average airline flying joes would probably agree.

Yung-T and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

He's a surgeon. After this incident, I don't think he'll be able to perform again. I don't know how hospital operate but UA pretty much damaged an asset.

15. VanityHalfBlack

Yes, if under Nazi occupation.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That is exactly how I feel about it. If I were his attorney, I would want a trial because an avg joe jury would likely rule in his favor all day. He will get a hush settlement and that will be the end of this.

Having said that, if I was on a plane and say, I was traveling to another country for a vacation, with an entire schedule in mind; I would be pretty pissed if an airline just made me get off the plane. Offering me a couple grand would likely persuade me to make the decision to skip a day.. United should have bumped up that offer after there were no other takers.

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

At first I thought he made them drag him out. If you watch closely, the passenger is unconscious from getting his face slammed into the armrest.

19. the shark

the shark Member

When his lawyer puts this guy on every National talk show on what this has done to him you think United will want this to go to court? You think United's attorneys would be able to select a jury that would side with them?

They'll pay whatever it takes for this to go away.

Obviously you don't understand this.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

My heart breaks for the poors that have to fly commercial.