1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Behind the scenes of the Lou Williams trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 22, 2017.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

As long as he balls out nobody will care what he does off the court.

Barring committing crimes or anything of that nature.

But if the worst thing he does is be a player and Have a lot of girls, it's not my cup of tea but I'm not here to
    Judge anyone because of that and you shouldn't either.

At the end of the day he's just a ball
    Player that's all we Should care about as long as he's not causing anyone harm off it.

Von Rafer and saleem like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pair Brewer up with Joakim Noah again.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's simpler than that, imo. Rockets can talk to the team about trades. Even, hey do us this favor, we really want Lou. You don't have to be the Rockets GM to talk to other teams when in trade negotiations.

Really, the only no-nos are talking to players under contract without their team's permission. And even that's mainly about free agency discussions prior to July 1st. We were talking to the team about a trade. (Jokingly).

DonKnock likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

He was a failure as a head coach, and they need to hire that GM quickly so he doesn't become a failure there, too.

5. malakas

malakas Member

I would assume that Pelinka is MUCH MUCH more expert at drafting than Magic.

Anyway..drafting may never even matter that much if they aren't careful. If they trade for someone and lose their pick this year, they will lose it again in 2019. So it will be only a late pick ths year and a pick next year.
    I was talking about Magic not Lou Williams.
    Magic's social media persona is like some casual fan who doesn't know anything about advanced stats. 9 out of 10 times whatever he has posted is proven wrong.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Anyway I dont like the Lakers at all...what I care about is if another idiotic GM has made his appearance now. Because lately most bad GMs that are easy to take advantage off have been fired or don't have any remaining assets to trade (Doc Rivers) and all in all they can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
    If Magic is allowed to make decisions and has the final say then most likely that's great news for the other 29 teams in the league.

Fyreball and justtxyank like this.
  7. heypartner

Forget about the comparison to Magic, what do think makes Pelinka an expert drafter. Do you mean he's got scouting experience or maybe more sports management experience. Guess I don't know anything about him.

I would just think that if agents as a group have a weakness vs other candidates it would be scouting. Again, I'm not asking about comparison to Magic, just what is it about Pelinka that makes him expert on everything. Is he weak on anything?

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

Cyberx, I said that on yesterday in the Lou Williams thread.

xtruroyaltyx and Stormy1234 like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Most big time agents have decades of experience in scouting themselves AND they have huge connections with other scouts /college coaches / hs coaches etc. Otherwise if he was just sports managment only he wouldn't get where he was.
    Weakness vs who? Gms who come from playing background or business background? I would trust someone who came from an agent background much more than an ex player or a business major.

To hire someone like him as GM the advantage is his connections, his good reputation and relationships, and his knowledge. But that doesn't mean that much when it comes to making good trades. If he's good in trades he will have to prove it first, which it looks he won't even have much chance to with Magic being the boss.

sugrlndkid and justtxyank like this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

First and foremost, thanks for the edification. Good knowledge, appreciated!

From my perspective, Sac's deal w/Pels helps them save their pick thus upping the ante of the bounty (sic) received. In the same way had Boogie gone to Lakes they would have lost Ingram and the picks. Hmm, I still would have done it. Boogie is that elite.

Fireable offense? I guess you're in line with Jeannie...

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Thx @cyberx, always appreciate the info.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Pelinka has been interrealtedly involved w/Lakes due to Kobe et al. He knows their culture. He's also a terrific agent. IMO an aces hire.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I want cyberx to have more than 100 likes for a single post. Got to be a first for clutchfans..

@ 97 likes now

malakas and DonKnock like this.
  14. OTMax

OTMax Member

We are really lucky then and have to thank Harden, Magic, his agent and Lou!! Seems Harden's statement of staying out of the GMs business is total bull and he's running the whole show :)

Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I like it.

First Harden fired the incompetent fool McFail who Maury was holding onto for no real reason.
    He then hired Mike AntoniO
    Now he has got us Lou Williams.

Harden got Murray by the cojones.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

achieved. 111 likes thus far. Making history. lol

Amiga likes this.
  17. heypartner

This must be the WAS offer that cyberx and others mentioned.

I project the pick to be 1-8 spots better than ours (currently 3 spots better), with Nicholson having 2 more years of salary than Brewer.

yixiixiy, Deuce and DonKnock like this.
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we not going hard after Paul George?

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

no consent

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

With what? A bag of chips? We have nothing Indiana wants.

topfive likes this.