1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential Rocket Profile: Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

If we wanted a Melo, we should have just kept Beasley.

D-rock, roslolian, Tha TC and 3 others like this.
  2. blackistan

blackistan Member

Well obviously who wouldn't

Jayzers_100 and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

'Scuse me. Almost choked from laughter and bruised my forehead with the face palm.

Mathloom and DudeWah like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Again, I get the idea. I get it could work. I get on paper having two players like that should work. But I think it really ignores chemistry, team dynamic, style, system... not to mention contract, age.

I've never been opposed to big swings. All-in moves. The Rockets certainly have taken a number of them over the years. But I do think if you're going to do that, there should be a lot less stuff in the negative column. Ways to mitigate that risk. Like when DM traded for Lawson. I mean I didn't even think it was that risky, but DM saw something that said this is the big acquisition we're going for this summer, and it should work, but if it doesn't, does it lock up our ability to do other things in the future? And since it would, he got Lawson to non-guarantee that last year.

Melo makes $26 and $28 million the next two years (though I guess he could opt out of that last year). If it works, great. If not, you've basically hitched your wagon to the Harden/Melo partnership for 2 years of not working. Now you've gone through Harden/Dwight for 3 years, and then Harden/Melo for 2.5 years. Harden is 30 at that point.

Truly, the only logic I can make for setting all that aside and saying go ahead with a deal would be how else do the Rockets improve meaningfully over the next two years? And its a good question.... I'll still blindly hope that Gordon Hayward would for some reason be interested... even though i know its not going to happen.

5. arjun

arjun Member

Melo and Mike D'Antoni....would never happen again. The only way would be for Melo to admit his mistakes and accept playing off-ball with Harden on the court. MDA would have to give his apologies to Melo as well and start with a clean slate.

.....this won't happen because Melo doesn't want to win bad enough to make all this work.

He wants it easy, and if he can win by doing it easy..he's down (Cleveland), if not...he won't.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would rather have brewer than melo

Tha_Dude likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

Do you watch NBA basketball at all?

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

14 points on 11 shots and 30 feet of space between his defender and the basket and holds the ball for less than 2 seconds if he's not open. He does this cheaper than Melo, never complains and he can't block you from trading him to a non-glamorous city.

Oh, and as of last time we played the Knicks, he outplays Carmelo Anthony.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's no point continuing this discussion. People who want Melo think we're playing a video game where they will take most of their shots with Harden and the Melo character will stand there and smile and giddily wait for his opportunity to score only when the defense double teams Harden.

Honestly, I doubt there's a single person over the age of 25 interested in acquiring Melo. The majority understand that these are human beings and basketball competitors, and Melo is a particularly shitty basketball competitor. You don't acquire a guy with huge team destruction capabilities just because he can score one on one.

Like I said, if that's what you want, then you pick up a Thornton or Beasley or Tim Hardaway or any of these narrow skilled, bad attitude, no defense players.

Let's get a championship piece please. There's a reason Cavs don't want him and Celtics just hung up the phone and the Clippers said "ok but not for Griffin or Jordan or Paul". Everyone knows now. The day Melo decided to forgo signing for the regular MAX with contenders in favor of signing a larger max with a team he could not carry to the playoffs, it was clear who this guy really was.

Do not poison Harden's future with this guy, we will lose Harden.

D-rock, LonghornFan, Fyreball and 2 others like this.
  10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

This has gone too far. lol

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its true though. Brewer makes peanuts and will expire soon Melo makes 28M and doesnt bring anything to the table.

People saying he's never played with anyone better than him are nuts, what does that have to do with being a good team player? When Melo was a rookie he played with Billups and co., in his prime he played with Iverson and then in NYC he's been playing with Porzingis who is undoubtedly better than him. He's a cancer and team destroyer, he holds player back from playing their best. Y'all who keep wanting can suck an egg and that includes DM, cant believe he kept chasing this dude 3x. If DM trades for Melo he's gonna get fired in 5 years as the team implodes and Hardens leaves for another team.

12. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Not really. The damage Melo is capable of doing is far Greater. He'd play more mins breaking offensive flow, take up 28M cap space, and you can't easily get rid of him due to his huge contract and performance.

13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I might trade ryan Anderson for Melo. Ryno 18 mill a yr don't sit well with me

14. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

And risk pissing off Harden with a selfish ball stopper? There's a reason not many team wanted him at this point.
    He simply isn't MDA kinda player.

D-rock likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We should try and get in on that Knicks-Clippers deal though, Forget Melo.

Can we get a Wesley Johnson or someone to take all of Brewers minutes basically.

16. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Issa joke. Melo isn't the missing piece. Scoring is not our issue and that's all melo brings. I wonder if the kings are finally willing to move Cousins.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But locker room cancer, ball hog Melo does?? Ryno's contract doesn't inhibit us from signing another player, so why does it matter how much he makes? Anybody who wants Melo over Ryno doesn't understand floor spacing, and efficiency.

D-rock likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Melo is a hard no for me. Even apart from messing up our vital chemistry, Melo already clashed with MDA. Why bring him back now? He's going to demand the ball out of JH's hands and it won't end well.

19. MystikArkitect

It's 2017. Trump is President and this is a thread.

LonghornFan likes this.